Issues with feeding

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by Shooter girl, Nov 26, 2009.

1. Shooter girl

Shooter girl New Member

I recently started having an issue feeding my reloads. I have a RCBS starter five, and am loading .45 with 230gr RN lead. I checked the dimensions and they seem to be in tolerance, but are not near as pretty as some that I have done. Maybe I pressed them in too far? But they don't go below the Min OAL.

2. Dzscubie

Dzscubie New Member

Shooter Girl,

What type of feeding problem are you haveing? What type of crimp are you using is the case lip catching or is the round lodging at the top of the chamber?

3. Shooter girl

Shooter girl New Member

Just a normal compression crimp. I use the RCBS three die Carbide set.

A few of them seemed to catch at the top of the ramp, but most of them were simply keeping it slightly out of battery.

4. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Sounds like you are doing 1 of 2 things wrong.

1. To much crimp
    2. Not enough Crimp.

5. Shooter girl

Shooter girl New Member

Would it help if you had pictures of the ones that wouldn't chamber?

6. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Pics of yourself are always encouraged.

7. Shooter girl

Shooter girl New Member

Somehow I doubt that pictures of me will solve this problem.

[​IMG]

8. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

:D

What was the question again? :D

9. Shooter girl

Shooter girl New Member

Well thank ya very much.

I guess I will just load up a few tomorrow and see what I did wrong.

10. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Well, I have run into some problems loading 45 ACP LEAD bullets- if the case mouths are not chamfered, they may shave a bit of lead when bullet is seated. Since these headspace off the case mouth, just smidgen of lead that has overlapped the case mouth screws up going fully into battery. You might look real hard at the end of the case on your loaded rounds- if you do not have a good clean case mouth AFTER bullet is seated, might be what's doing it. Have had to use a very sharp blade and trim a few.

11. Dzscubie

Dzscubie New Member

Why oh Why does a picture of a beautiful woman turn me into a blabbering idiot????

12. Shooter girl

Shooter girl New Member

Oh it doesn't. But it may bring out,,,,,,,,

Sorry I was going to be mean, but you were too kind to me, so I couldn't. You are not a blabbering idiot. And thanks.

13. Highpower

Highpower New Member

I have run into that before myself. If your OAL is too short, the casing can wedge itself between the bottom and the top of the chamber. The bullet nose needs to contact the top of the chamber in time to "lever" the case downward to align it with the bore. If the upward angle of the round coming out of the magazine isn't "corrected" soon enough, the case just sticks there because of the steep angle.

I discovered this after using a new bullet mold with an ever-so-slightly different ogive on the bullet, and instantly started having feeding problems.
    Try increasing your OAL a bit and see if that helps your feeding problem. It cured mine.

FWIW.

14. Shooter girl

Shooter girl New Member

Thanks. I did recheck the OAL on the ones that didn't feed, and they are above the minimum recommended. But I will make them a little longer with today's batch and let you know how it turned out.

Thanks much. ;)

15. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

For the best accuracy and reliability, Try to get as close to the MAXIMUM OAL as you can and still fit in the mag/chamber.
    Definately flare the mouth ENOUGH. You can avoid shaving by flaring enough.
    Taper crimp is recommended. Always taper crimp in a seperate operation from bullet seating. Roll crimps (revolvers) can be applied in the same operation as seating.
    Get a case gauge or use the barrel as a gauge. Remove barrel and drop the rounds into the chamber to see if they fit.

Texas, huh. If I have negelected to say so, WELCOME!

16. Shooter girl

Shooter girl New Member

With the dies I have, how do I taper them separately from the seating? It is done in one step with what I have? Do I simply set the bullet, then remove that piece and taper it to feel? Also, the bible does not have the max OAL that I can see only the minimum OAL. Or is the max OAL listed on the diagram at the start of the page with that particular caliber?

Ive got a dial caliper, but I did use one of my spare barrels to check the ones that didn't feed properly the other day, and found a few that fit perfectly, went back out and shot them with no problem.

I don't remember if you did or not, but if you didn't you should be ashamed of yourself Mister. ;)

17. Typical_08

Typical_08 New Member

How hot are you loading them? Sometimes lead fouling can cause them to set back far enough that it doesn't fully go back into battery.

18. Shooter girl

Shooter girl New Member

I haven't noticed any fouling in the barrel or near the leade. I haven't used more than 4.8 gr of WIN 231.

19. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

1.275" is book max for the cartridge. I try to load near that length. Check a samll batch in your magazines to be sure they move smoothly from a fully loaded mag.

If you are using a 3 die set and/or a single stage press, you would have to loosen the die (to eliminate the crimp feature) and screw the seater stem in further. Then once all were seated, Loosen/remove the seater stem and screw the die in further to apply a crimp.

Alternatives? Get a Lee taper crimp die (inexpensive). Get a progressive press (more expensive). Get a max cartridge headspace gauge (Midwayusa.com).