Issues With Berretta 92FS Inox?

Discussion in 'Beretta Forum' started by dkleiner, Apr 28, 2014.

1. dkleiner

dkleiner New Member

Hello, all:

I am new to firearms, and my first purchase was a CZ 75BD Police. I have become rather proficient with it at the range and am looking to build a small collection (slowly).

My son, 16, has been shooting an assortment of guns with his grandfather for the last two years, and I've been told that he's a natural. After buying him a Ruger MK III .22 Target, I decided to get involved. Great father/son sport.

In any event, I was at the range yesterday looking for another gun, and I really liked the 92FS Inox, 9mm. As the shop was quite busy, I put a deposit on it so that I could come back on Thursday when they're not as busy, do the State application and take the gun home.

After doing that, I did more research and understand that there have been issues with this gun. Our military has found issue with them in the field and no longer uses them?

Can someone with experience and knowledge about these guns bring me up to date on there dependability and reliability? Will I have to make aftermarket mods in order to use the weapon as intended?

My use for guns at this point is target shooting and home defense. Down the road I would like to carry.

Thanks for your time.

2. Mercator

Mercator New Member

The 92F is a very reliable pistol, including the INOX one of which I have owned. The early problems with frame (or slide) cracking were eliminated long ago. The stories still linger on the Internet, as it happens. Buy a 92 with confidence.

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

Utter internet bs. No 92 that had the military issue problems in the late 80's early 90's made it into the civilian market. all were retrofitted and are either still in service or decomissioned.

The 92fs is one of the few guns you dont have to do a thing to out of the box other than an initial cleaning and buying ammo.

They are stupid reliable, accurate, dependable.

I will recommend getting some mecgar 20round magazines if available to you in your state.

I carry a inox compact a lot.

4. dkleiner

dkleiner New Member

Thank you both for correcting my misconceptions.

5. JonM

JonM Moderator

There afe simple things you can safely do to improve trigger pull like replacing the hammer spring with a D hammer spring or chanve out the grip panels or sights for things you prefer.

None of it is needed to make it work.

6. Mercator

Mercator New Member

I reluctantly sold my INOX only because the trigger reach and especially the thumb safety were a long reach for my hand. The SIG layout fits me better.

7. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

Another + for the Beretta here. I have owned a 96 fs & currently, a 96A1. This is the exact same gun, but in 40 S&W. No issues. The its one I sold only 'cause I was dumb. But I will have to disagree with JonM, stick with the Beretta factory mags. Most of the aftermarket ones have spotty reputations at best over on the Beretta Forum, (completely separate site from here). Which is a good place to go for more info.

8. JonM

JonM Moderator

Mecgar makes the factory mags for berreta. The diff tween the mecgar aftermarket and factory mecgar mags is mainly follower length baseplate and coatings. Some factory mags depending on coatings have serious issues in dusty environments.

This past december my wife and i spent 10 days deer hig and yote hunting in south texas riding around on 4 wheelers using our m9's as backups. Dusty dirty wet on a few days our m9's had mecgar 20's and functioned flawless over 1000 rounds fired between the two guns.

I havent had this m9 but about a bit over a year. I dug out a mecgar mag out of my truck i loaded back in january of last year two weeks ago so it had been loaded with 20 rounds for 16 months. Fired all 20 with no issues.

I recommend the mecgars based off actual experience with them using the gun in adverse conditions outside a controlled range environment. While the factory mags are ok they arent as good as the civvy 20 rounders.

9. Mercator

Mercator New Member

MecGar makes factory mags for Beretta and SIG also. They can be trusted.

10. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

Yes, I am aware that MecGar makes Beretta and other factory mags. To each his own. I'll just buy the Beretta ones.

11. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

The aftermarket mags I've had problems with in a Beretta 92FS were from ProMag, they should be avoided. The MecGar and Beretta marked factory mags have been flawless. I also have some surplus Checkmate mags that were reported to have problems when they were issued. this was largely due to the thickness of the coating inside the mag, and possibly bad springs. I tooks some steel wool to the inside of the mag bodies and replaced the springs, and they have run 100% reliably.

I've had my Italian made 92FS since 1991, and don't plan on getting rid of it. Bought my MecGar mags around the same time frame. Super reliable, accurate, and shootable. I don't think you will be disappointed with the INOX version.

12. dalefan88

dalefan88 New Member

2,000 + rounds thru my 92fs with no problems. It's my favorite handgun to shoot.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

13. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

A 92/M9 is like a Patton Tank!! I loved my Army Service gun so much I bought an M9A1, which made 3 "92" pattern guns for me. One Day I will get a compact as well..

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

14. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

The only reason my last gun was a Glock is the sight radius. The G19 has the same sight radius as a 92fs and I can pocket carry the Glock. For a duty, range gun the 92fs is very hard to beat.

I put up a junk car hood as a 100 yard pistol target. I can hit the hood with the G19. A friend shoots a 92fs. He keeps all his shots in the bear bond that covers a hole we shot in the car hood with rifles.

If you have a home range a $10 car hood is a lot of fun.

15. OldGunJunkie

OldGunJunkie New Member

How's your experience with carrying the 92FS Compact been?

That's my first handgun along with my first carry gun. I was wondering how well other people have carried it and so forth.

16. JonM

JonM Moderator

i really like it but there arent a lot of good holsters unless you go leather. im not a huge fan of leather holsters for ccw. they soak up sweat and dont dry out easy. i use a xdm gear holster.

i recently put in a set of wolf springs including their trigger return spring and "d" spring. but you have to modify the trigger to get it to work. it really smoothed the trigger pull and lightened up the da pull.

17. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

My buddy built us an "outdoor " desert target out of a VW Rabbit front hood. Hoping to get it out one day after the monsoon season in Sept. He is also building us ( for all of us in the MAG. To use) 5 steel targets, but were also getting a Gong, and building some Std. target stands.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

18. Mercator

Mercator New Member

Forgot to mention. The frame finish soon got spotty or peeled (can't recall exactly) near the slide rails. It could hVe been from the light ultrasonic cleaning or regular chemicals (nothing aggressive, positively). IMO it was a manufacturing flaw, regardless. No bearing on the function.

19. Britinusa

Britinusa New Member

I have had mine for 10 years now, it has been my carry piece, up until yesterday when I picked up a PX4 compact.
    The 92FS is very reliable, never had a FTF or jams.

20. BobWard1

BobWard1 New Member

As others have said, the Internet BS about failures of the 92F are unfounded.

I bought an Italian made 92F in 1989. It had 50 rounds put through it in 25 years. I recently started a handgun collection and started shooting the 92F again. I had heard the same rumors that you did about slides coming off on the older 92F models. So I contacted Beretta about 8 months ago. Here is their response.

Thank you for contacting Beretta Customer Support.

That problem is only able to occur through the use ammunition considerably more powerful than the pistol is rated for (such as +P+, +P++, or SubMachine Gun only ammunition) combined with no maintenance at factory recommended intervals. Your pistol will provide years of safe service provided you maintain to factory standards and avoid non-recommended ammunition. Factory recommended maintenance intervals are as follows: 5,000 rounds for recoil spring replacement, 15,000 rounds for locking block replacement (On your series locking block), and 25,000 rounds for locking block replacement for the most current generation of locking block. Parts kits containing the newest locking block and recoil spring are available for customer purchase here: www.berettausa.com/products/92/96-locking-block-kit/le9201/

So, whether you get an F or FS model, shoot it with confidence. I recently added a 92FS Compact Inox and a 85FS Cheetah to my collection.