Issue with my Para Expert help please?

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by jeffkaiser1989, Mar 18, 2014.

1. jeffkaiser1989

jeffkaiser1989 New Member

So when i goto the range and this happens evrey time. I put atleast 100 rounds through my para and have only 200 down the pipe. Evrey trip at the 50 - 75 rnd mark i get a FTF (failure to feed) where the next round will hit the top of the chamber instead of going straight into the chamber. Is this an issue related to "breaking in" or should i contact Para and find out what needs to be done? I forgot to take a picture the last time i went out so you will have to try and picture a round at 45 degree angel hitting the top of barrel right on the feed ramp. Thanks in advance.

2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Do you use different magazines?
    Does it do it with only one magazine?

That is where I would be looking first.
    But other things may be involved.
    (ammo, hold, dirt)

3. jeffkaiser1989

using 230 gr federal fmj,s and it does it with both mags. i also start out with a clean gun course by the time it happens it might be dirty but normaly when i clean it its not that bad

4. limbkiller

limbkiller New Member

Get a different brand of mags and try them.

5. jeffkaiser1989

i borrowed 2 mags from a friend and it still did it. Those mags were Mec gar and a wilson combat

6. danf_fl

At the same point?
    What lube are you using?

7. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

Wilson is top of the line. Forgive me if I missed it about the ammo. Round nose, nothing funny? Whatyou described is a common malfunction with "fflying ashtray" type HP.

8. jeffkaiser1989

nope nothing strange just a standard fmj. lube i am using is M-PRO 7 same stuff i use in my sig

9. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

OK, as danfl suggested, fouling may be the case. Especially if you shoot "dirty" ammo like Win White Box or some imports in a tight fitting 1911. Try and clean the chamber after a stoppage, then see how long it takes before the next one. If it makes a difference, here is the sign.

P.S. and the mag follower too.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2014
  10. jeffkaiser1989

thanks you just gave me an excuse for a range day lol

11. Kerrydway

Kerrydway New Member

Excuse for a range day? How about "did the sun come up today".

12. jeffkaiser1989

lol the wife tells me i need a valid reason to go for a range day. so usually i make one up this time i dont have to think about it

13. DynoGuy

DynoGuy New Member

Yes I just walk out back. The tree is still in process, I have enough material left to cut another 2 plates, it has room for 5 (6") total.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 19, 2014
  14. DynoGuy

DynoGuy New Member

Jeff,
    I had this happen twice to mine this weekend (was using Win. white box). I was only shot 50 rnds. It seems the new round would only make it about half way into the chamber. I've fired about 150 rnds since last cleaning in the last couple of weeks (been using Rems up till now). I wanted to see what would happen with doing just some wipe downs and very lite re-lubing after each shooting session. I usually shot 50 rnds a weekend. The gun didn't seem too dirty but didn't have very much lube. So I cleaned it up and now I know how dry/dirty I can run if I am out camping for a week or 2.

15. jeffkaiser1989

So your saying its a lube issue? and i wish i had that in my backyard!

16. DynoGuy

DynoGuy New Member

I'm not positive as this is my first 1911 (and am a newb) but I have put almost 700 thru it so far and this just came up this weekend and I said it wasn't really dirty but was what I may consider a little dry from what I see others talk about (also I was using what others say is "dirty" ammo).

17. jeffkaiser1989

ok before i go next time ill lube the gun up with more the i usually use. thanks for the advice

18. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

With 1911s that exhibit that kind of feed problem I look at a few areas:

-magazines.
    -extractor (tension and lower edge profile)
    -breech face
    -ammo (rim dimensions)
    -chamber

The 1911 as it feeds from the mag, guides the rim of the cartridge up under the lower edge if the extractor, and up the breech face on its way into the chamber.

Tension of the extractor can be too tight, making the rim bind, or too loose, and not keeping the rim controlled. The radius of the extractor may not be smooth and can collect carbon and gunk. The breech face may be dirty, the rims of certain brands may be too thick or to thin and not allowing proper guidance of the round into the chamber. Mags may have improper feed lip angles. The mag catch may also need to be fitted better to get the proper mag height for proper feeding. But I would expect more consistent problems regardless of round count for the session if the mag height was a problem.

19. danf_fl

Describe where the empty casing eject to and where they land.

The main job of the recoil spring is to push the slide forward, and secondary job is to work with the main spring to make recoil manageable.

Observing where cases land can help determine if recoil spring replacement is needed or extractor needs adjustment.

(And, of course, you always load from a magazine. And never put one in the barrel and expect the extractor to slide over the rim of the casing.)

Last edited: Mar 20, 2014
  20. jeffkaiser1989

The Cases usually go out the ejection port with a violent spin to the right and back. landing approximately 6 inches from my right foot.