Ishapore Lee-Enfield 2A1

Discussion in 'Curio & Relic Discussion' started by HawkI, Jul 24, 2010.

1. HawkI

HawkI New Member

Does anyone know where I could find an Ishy Enfield in .308 WIN? Are they pricey? Do they share all of the quality characteristics as their predecessors? Thanks

2. Pounce

Pounce New Member

I picked one up a couple of yrs ago from AIM for $99.00. It was listed as .308, but when I got it,it was in 7.62 NATO. Mine had a yellow rack # on the stock.I believe they had .308's also. I have #4mk1 also. both shoot and handle pretty well and are in great shape.Check Southern Ohio Guns too. A good investment if you get one. Ron

3. Pounce

Pounce New Member

I hope this came out on here. I see it did. BIG! The top is the Ishy and the bottom is the Mk4 #1.

Attached Files:

4. TheOldMan

TheOldMan New Member

The days of $99 Ishy's is long gone but they are still out there at a decent price. I'd check the auction sites too like Gunbroker and Auctionarms.

5. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

The Ishy was never made in .308 Winchester. These were military arms, made in 7.62 NATO. The .308 has higher pressures than the NATO round. Still kicks like hell. Can you shoot .308 in a NATO chamber?

Ever see the movie Dirty Harry? Remeber the line with the bankrobber held at gunpoint? "Ya gotta ask yourself- do I feel LUCKY? Well......... DO ya, PUNK?"

6. Pounce

Pounce New Member

I wouldn't feel very lucky to shoot .308 in a 7.62x51. The other way around perhaps.

7. patret

patret New Member

Hunters Lodge corporation has them advertised for $375 if you are still interested. You can buy them on a C&R license. The web site is WWW.huntersloge.com.

Please don`t shot a civilian 308 in the rifle if you buy it. That could be a sad mistake for you.

Patret

8. Phelenwolf

Phelenwolf New Member

c3shooter, I think you need to do some research on the difference in military and civilian ammo. Most military weapons are chambered for hotter (more pressure) loads then civilian rifles.
    You can shoot .223 out of a 5.56mm barrel but not the other way around. The same goes for the .308/7.62 NATO.

Check out the link below.

7.62 NATO versus 308 Winchester

9. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Last edited: Oct 3, 2010
  10. 556plinker

556plinker New Member

I have one that had a new barrel replace by nato and stamped 1980. What a find! I shoot .308 thru it all the time and use it as my deer rifle. "Sure its a piece of crap compared to your scoped 700 remington but its my newly barreled piece of crap that only cost me 80$ in 1995." :D

I like the rifle and am quite proficient with it.

11. Pounce

Pounce New Member

Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. I agree with you,and it's 'not' a piece of crap. Enjoy it!

12. Phelenwolf

Phelenwolf New Member

No offence but what you are saying is contary to what I have learned and what I have been taught in different schools. But we can argue all we want back and forth, with everyone on the internet and on different forums everyone is suddenly a expert on the subject.
    One of us is right and one is wrong, but who is I am not sure, but follow your teachings and I will follow mine. Good luck.

13. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

If you use .308 in your 7.62x51 rifle, you are inviting disaster.
    There are a couple of factors. The chambers are different, Max pressure is different, quality of steel and design is different than a modern rifle. The difference in the 2 is 100fps+-. The 7.62x51 Nato round has an average MV of 2650 and the .308, 2740 with a correctly loaded 165..168gr bullet. That in itself should give it away. The Military brass is thicker, thus using less powder(volume). 10% less is a normal starting point for hand loaders.
    If I was to use .308 commercial ammo in my 7.62x51 semi auto military rifles, it would hammer the action into junk or cause a catastrophic failure. Just because it "fits" does not make it correct. Why would Winchester make white box 7.62x51 ammo otherwise? Do what you want w/ your rifle (and body parts) they are yours.

14. Highpower

Highpower New Member

On a side note:
    If you get a chance to examine one before you buy it, do so. I have a friend that shot mine and liked the gun, so he searched all the local gun shops until he found one and bought it. Good condition and a nice looking gun.

A couple of weeks later he talked about what a POS his new acquisition was, due to the fact that it would not cycle properly. It just would not feed ammunition through the gun without problems. I looked it over and discovered that somewhere along the line, someone had replaced the extractor on his gun with one from a .303 Enfield rifle.

Probably happened during an arsenal rebuild at some point where the parts got mixed up with those from another gun. So you do have to be careful about getting parts that are specific to the 7.62 rifle. And those parts aren't real easy to find these days....

Luckily I was able to dig up the proper extractor and install it for him, so he's happy now. So just be careful in your search. You don't want to become the not so proud owner of a 7.62 rifle with a .303 bolt in it. :eek: