Is Tulammo a good buy?

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by RustyShackleford101, Jul 16, 2012.

1. RustyShackleford101

RustyShackleford101 New Member

Ve seen the elusive Tulammo lurking at the gun store. I'm a pretty high volume shooter and the bulk packs would save money and price is about the same. I was just wondering if the stuff works, like how is the quality?

2. trip286

trip286 New Member

I've used it in my 1911 with absolutely no trouble. It's dirty, but no worse than the federal I'd used.

3. RustyShackleford101

Is it corrosive?

4. trip286

trip286 New Member

No, it is printed very clearly on the box that it's non corrosive. I can't go into the details of the chemical compounds they use like some folks can because I just don't know that info, but I do know it says on the box that it's non corrosive. I think they do make some corrosive ammo, but I'm not sure. Just be sure to read the box when you pick some up.

5. g17frantz

g17frantz New Member

Corrosive ammo is usually found in the surplus ammo such as 7.62x54r. They're a lot more out there but modern ammo is non corrosive. TulAmmo isn't the best but, OK for punching paper. I don't like shooting it that much.

6. RustyShackleford101

Why don't you like it?

7. g17frantz

g17frantz New Member

Personal preference really. Don't like it in my AR but don't mind it in my Glock.

8. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

I've used a fair bit of it, I've found it to be reasonably accurate, it has noticeably less recoil than Federal Champion or WWB. All in all I'd say its good target ammo.

9. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

When you buy it in bulk pay attention. I bought a 500rd spam can from academy for my AR. The next I went in there and bought 4 20rd boxes of it so I could save the spam can. That's when I noticed I would have saved about $40 if I just bought 25 20rd boxes of it. I was highly pissed.

10. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

Yeah, I always do the math first, I can't tell you how many times that it was more expensive to buy bulk, usually at Walmart.

11. okdonk

okdonk New Member

Good buy for target practises. Works well on my Glocks. But i prefer Wolf ammo. They are both Russian made, steel casings and cheap prices.

12. RustyShackleford101

Are they berdam or boxer primed?( not that I'm gonna try to reload it, just curious.

13. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

I thank boxer I would have to look.

14. RustyShackleford101

I have the week off so I bought 50 rounds of some 5.56 and ran it through my bushmaster a3. I had no reliability issues and the 100 yard accuracy was on par with some brass ammo. Upon inspection after shooting I noticed some fouling but I cleaned it in about 10 minutes.The price is about the same as my hand loads and it will save me a bunch of time when i just want to punch holes in paper or get a feel for a new gun. Looks like Tulammo has a new customer!

15. FearTheFree7

FearTheFree7 New Member

My bushmaster AR hates Tulammo won't feed properly won't so ever. So I just stick with brass. But with my glock I use Tulammo almost extensively since it is the cheapest right now. No problems what so ever.

16. RustyShackleford101

Weird how every gun is an individual.

17. JonM

JonM Moderator

ive used tul in my BCM just trying it out and the groups are quite a bit lower on the paper which generally means less velocity than my military loadings. dont have a chrono since i blew up my last one with a 458winmag... need to rectify that someday

couple hundred i shot cycled just fine and accuracy was accaptable for cheap junk ammo. if your gun cycles it nothing wrong with it so long as your not expecting black hills type performance

18. Argyle_Armoring

Argyle_Armoring New Member

I shoot it and buy it any chance I can. Good ammo at a really good price.

19. RustyShackleford101

Here here. Tomorrow I'm gonna try it in my hi point .45 carbine.

20. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

I shoot a lot of Tula 9mm and .45 ACP. I have not had the first problem with it. It does shoot a little dirty, but I always clean after shooting so that doesn't bother me. The Tula is steel cased, so not a good option to reload.

I see very little difference in the Tula and the Wolf. They both probably come off the same production line.