Is this Training Still Relevant?

Discussion in 'Training & Safety' started by Trez, Nov 26, 2011.

1. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

My M1-itis is getting bad and ive been watching these WWII M-1 training videos.. I was wondering are these methods still relevant, or outdated?

(Warning- its a long video... )

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoZ_usoFVSc&feature=relmfu]Rifle Marksmanship with the M1 Rifle 1942 Part 1 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bmdxZwvkoQ&feature=relmfu]Rifle Marksmanship with the M1 Rifle 1942 Part 2 - YouTube[/ame]

2. PowerViolence

PowerViolence New Member

Whatever helps you hit a target at 1000 yards with an M1.

3. PowerViolence

PowerViolence New Member

Watching the first few minutes of it, the positions seem to be relevant, so I could only assume it's a mix of outdated/tweaked/realvant tactics. That's my take at least.

4. gwk4667

gwk4667 New Member

My connection is way to slow to watch these but there is good training available. Contact your local NRA training officer and find out what is available in your area.

The M1A is what we called an M14 in the Corps except it is semi auto instead of selectible - - I could have brought my M14 home for $128.00 when I got out as they had gone to the M16 - - - I did not feel I could afford the $128.00 and have kicked myself ever since!

5. trip286

trip286 New Member

Wow, they should have sold me an A2 when I got out. I'd have found a way to afford it!
    Or even my SAW!

6. murraywc

murraywc New Member

Other than the sling use it seems very close to the way they taught us. I still use it today especially when setting my sights.

7. STANDARD

STANDARD New Member

ANY TRAINING IS GOOD TRAINING> Remember this and you'll go a long ways. Every piece of knowledge is good knowledge.

8. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Unless the training is offerred by Sarah Brady. She would train you to turn your guns over to the government for destruction and use your cell phone for self defense.

9. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

I watched the first couple minutes and the positions are very similar to what is taught today. The prone was to angled, the standing is taught more squared up now, and you're taught to keep your elbow against the body. Not much has changed. Cool videos.

10. Stillwater

Stillwater New Member

I was first exposed to this training in 1950. I think it is as relevent now, as it was then.

11. 7point62

7point62 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

It depends on what you're doing. It's relevent as hell if you're picking off a distant target. I still wrap the sling around my tricep when shooting my rem 700 at long range from sitting or standing. And I still use the snap-in positions I learned for the M14 at the 500 yard line. Obviously, this is not for room clearing or movement to target or close combat with M4s. But for marksmanship it still works.

12. Stillwater

Stillwater New Member

That is absolutely right, it's not always going to be CQB. It's just as relevent now, as it was in 1950, when I was exposed to it.

Bill