Is this the best Red dot for the money?

Discussion in 'Optics & Mounts' started by thundermonty, Jul 31, 2011.

1. thundermonty

thundermonty New Member

I've been looking for a nice red dot scope for my marlin model 25 .22, it's a great gun but the front sight flew off. i removed the rear sight as well. i plan on buying this dovetail to weaver: Amazon.com: UTG 11mm to Weaver Adapter, Adjustable: Sports & Outdoors

Now, i had a few things i wanted in the red dot:
    1. Unlimited eye relief since it will be mounted far away from my eye
    2. 2X or more magnification
    3. a big objective lens
    4. lots of brightness controls

this one fits the bill and my budget: 19099 - TruGlo 2x42mm Red Dot Sight 2.5 MOA Dot Black Matte Finish Warranty

i've looked at others. i cant use scope because they are too long and will hit the bolt when i bring it up. i can use reflex because the dont zoom. so this look like the one for me.

any suggestions?

2. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

I am trying to understand how a scope won't it on a Model 25.:confused:

You should be able to mount a scope on it. Unless you just want a Red Dot.

That wasn't much help, sorry.

3. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

The Marlin M25 will take a scope, no problem. But if you want a red dot, the Truglo is a very decent dot.

4. thundermonty

thundermonty New Member

Shihan- most real scopes use either weaver or picatinny. my 25 uses a dovetail system.

5. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

My rimfires use dovetails and can be scoped. I had to use high rings on my lever action so I could get my fat thumb on the hammer to cock it, even with a hammer extension.

In the world of rimfires, weaver and picatinny rails are fairly new, within the last 10 - 15 years that they started showing up sporting rifles.

6. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

I've got a Center Point 4x on my Marlin 25. Got it for mid $30s at Walmart and it included the scope rings for the 3/8" dovetail. Mounted right on.

7. thundermonty

thundermonty New Member

guys- a weaver will not fit on a dovetail! i know that! also, i already said i was buying an adapter. the only one of you that answered the flippin question was M14sRock. thank you sir!

8. Wambli

Wambli New Member

I bought a TrueGlo for a shotgun I was not planning on keeping and I did not want to spend a lot of money. It was a 12 ga slug gun and I'm happy to say I sold it to a friend that has had it for 3 years and it's still going strong. Several of my friends have had really good results with Bushnell Trophy series red dots.

9. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

i have a marlin as well. i have a nice, 3x9x40 i pulle doff my .308... so my .22 is real tackdriver. no problems working the bolt. but either way. the truglo i think is better

10. OzarkRecluse

OzarkRecluse New Member

Your ignorance is showing as to what weaver means. Best research it before exposing yourself more than the fool you have so far.

Dovetail mounts use weaver rails all the time. Try google. Google is your friend. Before coming onto a forum with people with a lot more experience than you, use it. Try something likie "weaver mount to dovetail adapter."

For a little more education, look up picatinny rails while you're at it.

11. Lindenwood

Lindenwood New Member

Is it possible to have a magnifying optic with unlimited eye relief?