Is this shotgun safe/savageable?

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by dr_psych, Apr 27, 2013.

1. dr_psych

dr_psych New Member

I have owned this Remington 870 express for 20 years. I used to hunt 20 years ago. The gun has mostly sat in a soft case in a closet for this whole time. I've toted it with me when I moved and kept it as a home defense weapon. However...I just took it out today and notice the light surface rust you see. Is this fixable? Is the gun safe? I figured I would ask before taking steel wool to it. Thanks

Attached Files:

2. MTHunter

MTHunter New Member

Should be fine just stack a slightly oiled cloth or 1 of the silicone gun rags and wipe the rust off.

3. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

OOOO steel wool soaked in very light oil or solvent. Very salvageable

4. dr_psych

dr_psych New Member

Thanks. I've been very removed from the gun world. I don't even know what a silicone gun rag is. I'm just getting back into it.

I just picked up some rem oil the other day. Is that the correct oil?

5. vincent

vincent New Member

I've used the method Robo mentioned. Works like a dream.

Not sure the silicone rag will do the job, you may need something a bit more aggressive.

I'd recommend Hoppe's #9 for the oil as it's made to fight corrosion.

You may or may not be able to get all the pitting off but it'll give it a good shine.

Good luck, post some after pics for us if you don't mind...:cool:

6. vincent

vincent New Member

Before and after using that method...

Attached Files:

• 091.jpg
      091.jpg
      File size:
      30.3 KB
      Views:
    • 026.jpg
      026.jpg
      File size:
      29.9 KB
      Views:
  7. dr_psych

dr_psych New Member

Sweet. I like the before and after shots. Looks a little like mine. I will try to get that Hopes you mentioned.

8. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

If you want a show piece go get you a new one! If you want a servicable shotgun, ya got it! I use a brass brush on my spots of corrosion with a dab of Ballistol, then wipe it down with a dry cotton rag.

9. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

The Remoil you have is just fine to use with some 0000 steel wool. When you are done with any gun just wipe all metal parts of the gun with a rag dampened with oil(again the Remoil will work for this too).

10. MTHunter

MTHunter New Member

Several companies make rags that come soaked in silicone. I always make sure to keep a good stock of them at home. Great for wiping down polymer and wood stocks. great for cleaning chamber because it provides a layer of silicone that helps keep carbon from sticking to the gun. Greatly reduces the time it takes to thoroughly clean a gun.

11. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Silicone cloth, or cotton cloth/ light oil. Change to a clean spot now and gain. For heavier rust, rather than steel wool, go to grocer, get a COPPER Chore-boy scrubbing pad, wet with oil, rub lightly. THEN USE CLOTH WITH OIL TO GET COPPER OFF.

12. sniper762

sniper762 New Member

not salvageble....dangerous! send it to me for proper disposal

13. dr_psych

dr_psych New Member

One last question...how long do shotgun shells last? The shells I bought for this gun are at least 7 years old and have been sitting in the closet with the gun.

14. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

When stored in moderate temperatures, moderate humidity, we do not know how long present day ammo with non-corrosive primers is good for. They have only been in general usage for about 70 years- and the early ones are still shooting just fine. Ask again in another 70 yrs.

Seven year old ammo is WELL within the "should be fine" range of age.

15. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

As C3 said, ammo has a very LONG shelf life. There are people still shooting ammo left over from WWII.

I have a .50 cal ammo can full of surplus ammo from the 70s, and it still shoots just fine. Never had a single failure from any of it.

16. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

Heck Yes, not anything that oil & 0000 steal wool won`t fix..................

17. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

as long as ammo is stored where it can stay fairly cool and dry, it has a very long shelf life. moisture is one it's biggest enemies.

18. Virginian

Virginian Active Member

I have not had much success with silicone vs. rust. WD-40 and 0000 steel wool has been working for me on other people's guns for 40 years. I don't let mine get rusty.

19. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Gee- never saw that reply before :rolleyes:

20. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

I got a couple of these thinking maybe it was a gimmick. So long as u use oil with it ,it does not take the bluing off . I have cleaned up some really bad stuff with this product .http://www.big45metalcleaner.com/