Is this possible?

Discussion in 'AK & SKS Discussion' started by hockeyjr1, Apr 9, 2012.

1. hockeyjr1

hockeyjr1 New Member

K so I just ordered the conversion kit from carolina shooters supply and will be installing it on my saiga 7.62x39 next week... However I would really like to add a muzzle brake to the gun too. This is where the problem comes in. First off the barrel is the same size all the way to the tip.( from vids I've seen the first 3/4 inch is smaller diameter) is this possible to even put a brake on it?

Also I live in the big bad state of NY and if I don't pin/weld the brake into place that it becomes one of those oh so deadly and evil assault weapons..
    I figure I I give the gun to a machine shop they could probably get it all done but what would that cost me? Any reasonable price u guys think it would be? Thanks guys

Put a sign in your front yard that reads "Gun Free House" & see where the criminals go.

2. hockeyjr1

hockeyjr1 New Member

Bump..........

Put a sign in your front yard that reads "Gun Free House" & see where the criminals go.

3. AndyRexia

AndyRexia New Member

I would also like to know the answer to this question

4. JonM

JonM Moderator

I wouldnt let a machine shop do it. Welding generates a LOT of heat in a small area and if not done right can damage a gun barrel.

Consult with a gunsmith in your area on what minimum is acceptable to your slave masters. Some slave states allow their slaves to use solder or a light tack weld.

5. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Jon, For years I brought Evil Weapons to NY for shoots, private ones. I even use to bring my 9mm to dispatch hogs at butchering time. Save my Sister $19.00 fee for each times 8 hogs. There are no local police or sheriffs. The State police drove down a highway 6 miles away at 7:30am and 4:30pm. that was it. There are more fun guns upstate then you would ever imagine!

6. KalashnikovBlood

KalashnikovBlood New Member

I must say good choice in rifle, from what I have seen you can't add a muzzle brake because the one already on it is part of the barrel. But I'm not 100 percent sure.

Spetsnaz for Life

7. hockeyjr1

hockeyjr1 New Member

There isn't one on the gun.... It's just a straight barrel... Ik it won't count towards 922r compliance but I already have that covered with other mods

8. KalashnikovBlood

KalashnikovBlood New Member

Look up Saiga rifle muzzle brakes, I saw a few listed.

Spetsnaz for Life

9. hockeyjr1

hockeyjr1 New Member

Ok so asked a local shop who is also a gunsmith and he said I would be arrested in seconds if I put a muzzle break on the gun... He said since it didn't come pinned from the manufacture then you can't thread it yourself...

Still don't see how he is right on this... If you thread pin and weld it on the when you do try to take it off u will destroy the threads.. And there's nothing in nys law that says it needs to be from the maker of the gun and not done by yourself.

10. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Can the brake be cut or drilled into the barrel? I have seen a lot of guns with built in brakes. I am sure glad I live in a free state.

11. ryguy00

ryguy00 New Member

What if you shipped the gun and parts to a gunsmith in a state without the bs hoops to jump through? Not changing ownership means no ffl transfer. No transfer...no paper trail. Who would have to know? When it comes back installed, welded, tacked, whatever, your local laws would be satisfied anyways right? We arent talking about building a post '86 machinegun here...

Or, i could be wrong. I live in a free state where i dont have to keep up with wacky laws so just take this as an idea and ignore it if itll land you in the local iron bar hotel.

12. JonM

JonM Moderator

you can also check out a proccess called magna porting. the ports are cut into any existing barrel. ive never heard of it being illegal in any state. but i could i be wrong. not sure if it can be done to a rifle or not

http://www.magnaport.com/

13. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Magna Porting is the process I was referring to. It can be done to any barrel but I dont think it is cheap. I thought a smith could possibly accomplish the porting.