Is this poison ivy?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by HotFudge, May 31, 2013.

  1. HotFudge

    HotFudge New Member

    310
    0
    0
    If it is, I'm gonna be pretty pissed off because I got all up in it a few minutes ago.

    [​IMG]
     
  2. Anna_Purna

    Anna_Purna New Member

    7,236
    0
    0
    Usually poison ive is more rounded on the ends, and go to one point, not the several points you have there, but ya, it looks like it. Are ya starting to get the itchys or swelling?
     

  3. Anna_Purna

    Anna_Purna New Member

    7,236
    0
    0
    Don't scratch, or itll spread
     
  4. MisterMcCool

    MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

    12,823
    133
    63
    Yes. Wash wash wash.
     

    Attached Files:

  5. orangello

    orangello New Member

    19,156
    0
    0
    Benadryl and whatever you do, NO PORN!
     
  6. Gatoragn

    Gatoragn Active Member

    3,935
    1
    38
    Leaves of three, leave them be.
     
  7. HotFudge

    HotFudge New Member

    310
    0
    0
    I took a shower as soon as I came in and I'm not itching, so I may have dodged a bullet. I'm alot more careful with it because of last year. I worked for a contractor who my dad's coal mine hires to do various odd jobs and unskilled construction, we were tasked with cutting away Japanese Knotweed from a stream mitigation site. During a break, I laid down on a fallen log that I had been cutting around, and that log had a big ol' poison ivy vine wrapping around it. Got it all on both arms, up my back, on my ass, on my thighs, my hands. It took three weeks, a shot of hydrocortisone and two rounds of pill-form hydrocortisone, a billion oatmeal baths, me spraying both rubbing alcohol and bleach on it, and constantly blowing it with a hair dryer for it to finally clear up.
     
  8. Axxe55

    Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

    7
    1
    0
    the irratant in poison ivy and poison oak is oil based and some soaps won't wash it off fully. use rubbing alcohol instead. the quicker you are to washing it off when exposed to it, will minimize the effects.
     
  9. Gatoragn

    Gatoragn Active Member

    3,935
    1
    38
    Not everyone is allergic to poison ivy,most but not all.
     
  10. MisterMcCool

    MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

    12,823
    133
    63
    Preparation H is a great home remedy for poison ivy rash.
     
  11. robertb6112

    robertb6112 New Member

    451
    0
    0
    If you get it use rubbing alcohol. The best thing is Burt's bees soap. But you won't have time for that:
     
  12. primer1

    primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

    9,733
    137
    63
    The oil is the poisonous part. Everything you touch will get the oil on it: doorknob, lightswitch, etc. Wash as soon as possible, keep burts bees soap handy. The blisters will NOT spread the poison, that is a myth that came from people touching the doorknobs, etc.

    Story time: when my grandpa was a kid, a friend told him if he ate a handful of it, he would be immune to it. He was on his deathbed for three days, doctors said there is nothing else to do. But he came out of it immune to it.
     
  13. robocop10mm

    robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

    11,380
    1
    0
    There is no way to achieve an "Immunity" to poison ivy. No eating it will do nothing but make your innards itch. Some are not sensitive to it, but with time and enough exposure EVERYONE will react negatively eventually.

    And, yes that is definately poison ivy. I was out spraying some in my back yard today
     
  14. Axxe55

    Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

    7
    1
    0
    if there was some sort of market for poison ivy and mosquitos, i'd be a rich man!:D
     
  15. gunnut07

    gunnut07 New Member

    944
    0
    0
    Hands down the best thing for Poison Ivy, Oak, Sumack is Zanfel. It is $35 a tube but, use it as soon as you feel a break out and POOF within 3 days it will be gone and it will not itch at all. You have to FOLLOW the DIRECTIONS to the LETTER. http://www.zanfel.com/help/
     
  16. hiwall

    hiwall Well-Known Member

    4,269
    22
    48
    There is/was a series of shots you can get from your doctor that is supposed to make you immune. Years ago when I worked for fish&wildlife I had to get the shots before I could start working there. I was never bothered by Poison Ivy even though I worked right in amongst it. Though I may have been immune naturally as I never had trouble with it on the farm before I took the shots.
     
  17. Anna_Purna

    Anna_Purna New Member

    7,236
    0
    0
    Can't figure out why anybody would want to go there and buy that? :eek:
     
  18. Axxe55

    Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

    7
    1
    0
    just haven't found the right market yet!!!!:mad:
     
  19. Rick1967

    Rick1967 Well-Known Member

    4,991
    48
    48
    When I was a kid my step dad told me to put vinegar with salt mixed in it and wipe it on. It burned like crap. But it was gone the next morning. It was all scabbed up.