Is this "Other Weapons"?

Discussion in 'Other Weapons' started by string1946, Jul 9, 2013.

1. string1946

string1946 New Member

Just let The Mcburglar show up here and see what he gets. Potato gun. :D

Attached Files:

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Naw, not an "Any Other Weapon"- so long as you shoot potatoes out of it.

3. griffin81

griffin81 New Member

I have one that shoots tennis balls. It will get them 200 yards when you wet the ball. Even farther when u put some pennies in the ball.
    I did the math on this one, it reaches maximum efficiency on paper. You want double the chamber volume to the barrel volume. I use aqua net or white rain for my fuel with the best results.

image-3372966944.jpg
    My buddy with it we shot a good 15 or 20 shots before the cops got called. They thought it was cool so they shot it a few times too.

4. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

I had a pump action marshmallow gun once....:eek:

5. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Hahaha............I have a potato gun in my garage. It was great fun when my oldest son was a teenager. We would go to "potato gun" parties. :D

6. improvised_prepper

improvised_prepper New Member

Oh man, every time I see a potato gun it makes me want to build another one! It's just too much fun for so cheap.

7. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

LOL, that's awesome! How pissed were the neighbors that called when they looked out and saw the cops shooting it with you?

8. griffin81

griffin81 New Member

I don't think they liked it. But one of the officers is a big tater and golf ball gun fan. He has built several. Where we were shooting it people I know that live almost a mile away could hear it going off, because of the lay of the hills the sound really traveled.

9. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

Go ask them if they'd rather you be shooting real guns. All day. Aren't potato guns illegal in some areas? Or at least questionable?

10. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Yes, they can explode, therefore making them dangerous. One night a man came in and died in our ER because he was fueling his potato gun with gasoline. :cool: Of course, alcohol was involved, too and I don't mean in the potato gun, I mean in the operator.

11. string1946

string1946 New Member

I doubt you would get in much trouble if you use a little common sense and just use hair spray for propellent. I build this one about 20 years ago and its been in the back of my shop ever since. I had a guy working on my pond and he mentioned his son had just built a potato gun and that made me dig mine back out. I will say that when you fire it you get a pretty good "thump" noise. I fired it a couple of weeks ago using the usual 1-2 second of spray and it sounded like a 22 mag. and I never saw the potato come out but it did. Supersonic? I don't know but it sure sounded like it.

12. TruggieTex

TruggieTex New Member

Mine is almost 5 ft. long and 2.5" wide. Using cheap hairspray it will launch a 12 oz. tater farther than you can see.

VERY impressive! Like, stunning to all that see it.

13. AR10

AR10 New Member

I think the BATF views this as a homemade rocket launcher capable of bringing down low flying planes. You folks that have one, might think about breaking them back down to plumbing components before you get raided by a over zealous gov looking for homeland terrorists. In a day and age where a bottle rocket will land you a criminal record and even jail time in some areas of the country, be careful a toy does not land you in a federal prison.