Is this normal?

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by HarryBase, Dec 2, 2012.

1. HarryBase

HarryBase New Member

Went to the range tonight, put another 200 or so through my sig 1911 nightmare. Went home and completely took it down to clean it. Removed the safety in a plastic bag expecting the spring to go flying, but it was stuck in its bore, pulled it out and found this. Should I bring it back to Sig, or is this ok?

Attached Files:

2. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

no that's not normal at all. i would contact Sig and see what they have to say.

3. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Actually it is not uncommon. Many 1911 builders will put a crimp in the plunger spring just to keep it from flying. Once it is in the plungr tube the spring is alligned and works just like normal.

4. Squawk

Squawk New Member

Doesn't "look" normal.

But I know nothing about 1911's.

5. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

cool Doc. that's a new to me. i might have to try that out on mine as well. good catch!

6. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Both my nightmares are that way

7. chuckusaret

chuckusaret Member

Must not be a problem because you did not mention that you experienced a failure of any type. But I would call Sig......

8. Ultimate_sig

Ultimate_sig New Member

Mine looks the exact same on my tac ops, i wouldnt worry. Did your pistol do anything abnormal. By the way i think it may be just a sig thing, my colt didnt look like that.

9. rock185

rock185 Member

Those plunger springs are designed with a "kink" in the middle exactly to prevent them from going flying. Some of the current examples have omitted the extra step of adding the little kink, and they do "go flying". BTW, I have a copy of an old Rock Island Arsenal 1911A1 drawing dated 1 May, 1928. It shows the kinked plunger spring...

10. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Agree- Sum seem to just be "Prone" to flying away--Those few i've put a little kink in :)

11. HarryBase

HarryBase New Member

Thanks guys! Really didn't want to bring it back, as she's running like a Swiss watch!

12. qwiksdraw

qwiksdraw New Member

It tells time, too?