Firearms Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to the range tonight, put another 200 or so through my sig 1911 nightmare. Went home and completely took it down to clean it. Removed the safety in a plastic bag expecting the spring to go flying, but it was stuck in its bore, pulled it out and found this. Should I bring it back to Sig, or is this ok?

Attachments

·
Banned
0 Posts
Went to the range tonight, put another 200 or so through my sig 1911 nightmare. Went home and completely took it down to clean it. Removed the safety in a plastic bag expecting the spring to go flying, but it was stuck in its bore, pulled it out and found this. Should I bring it back to Sig, or is this ok?
no that's not normal at all. i would contact Sig and see what they have to say.

·
Registered
7,817 Posts
Actually it is not uncommon. Many 1911 builders will put a crimp in the plunger spring just to keep it from flying. Once it is in the plungr tube the spring is alligned and works just like normal.

·
Banned
0 Posts
Actually it is not uncommon. Many 1911 builders will put a crimp in the plunger spring just to keep it from flying. Once it is in the plungr tube the spring is alligned and works just like normal.
cool Doc. that's a new to me. i might have to try that out on mine as well. good catch!

·
Banned
11,006 Posts
Both my nightmares are that way

·
Registered
601 Posts
Must not be a problem because you did not mention that you experienced a failure of any type. But I would call Sig......

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
HarryBase said:
Mine looks the exact same on my tac ops, i wouldnt worry. Did your pistol do anything abnormal. By the way i think it may be just a sig thing, my colt didnt look like that.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Those plunger springs are designed with a "kink" in the middle exactly to prevent them from going flying. Some of the current examples have omitted the extra step of adding the little kink, and they do "go flying". BTW, I have a copy of an old Rock Island Arsenal 1911A1 drawing dated 1 May, 1928. It shows the kinked plunger spring...

·
Registered
6,928 Posts
Agree- Sum seem to just be "Prone" to flying away--Those few i've put a little kink in :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts