Is this legal

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by MyRawTalent, Dec 15, 2012.

1. MyRawTalent

MyRawTalent New Member

I own my own hg but I was wondering is it legal for me to carry one of my step-fathers guns if I have his permission while he is traveling and I have a concealed carry license In Texas?

Last edited: Dec 15, 2012
  2. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Does Texas list the firearm on the license?

3. MyRawTalent

MyRawTalent New Member

I don't believe so just SA OR NSA

4. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I'm not saying it could happen, but I would consider getting a "Bill of Sale".
    With any questions, the firearm is then rightfully yours, and you are not transferring a firearm across state line.
    (I presume his last is different than yours.)

5. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

It's not illegal but I wouldn't recommend it. If you're going to carry it get permission from him first. If something were to happen, the cops will be taking and running the gun. It won't come up in your name. He will be potentially liable and could potentially say it was stolen. Not illegal but not recommended.

6. trip286

trip286 New Member

If you and your step Dad fully trust each other, you don't have to list your firearm on your permit, and your have his permission, I don't see a problem.

If you crack up and do something illegal, he should be man enough to own up to loaning it to you. If the cops for whatever reason have to run it, and find it bought by him, that's a technicality that can easily be straightened out by him admitting to loaning it to you.

That's all assuming that it is legal and he wouldn't hang you out to dry. I for one a wouldn't be doing it though. Is just kind of an old fashioned thing for me. I wouldn't carry another man's gun, ride his horse, touch his wife, tune his guitar, sharpen his knife... There are several things that just don't seem right and manly to me, and that happens to be one.

Now, people like my step Dad actually keep loaner guns around the house. That's a different story. Wanna shoot Skeet, but didn't bring your shotgun? He's got a Mossberg 500 for guests and grandkids in .410. Wanna plink? He's got a .22 rifle for anybody who wants to use it. Hunting? He'll break out the Enfield for ya. These are guns he just keeps around the house because he ended up with them, or replaced them from his personal arsenal, and they get used too often to justify selling. He's fine with sharing his personal guns on the range, but he's not going to loan them out.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2012
  7. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

Does Texas register handguns? I was not aware of that.

8. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

Florida does not register handguns to owners. My adult son and I swap and loan back and forth so often, I would have to go to my paper records to be sure which ones are actually mine, and which are his. The S&W Airweight I carried in my pants pocket yesterday is one of those, I am not sure if it belongs to me or him. :)

My son has the keys and combinations to the safes and anything I own is his for the taking (except my 1911) and we got him one of them.

9. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

10. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

No, gun can be traced back to last legal buyer tho -

11. kycol

kycol New Member

I don't know about other states but here in Ky.. It is pretty common to give a gun to your son. Also guns get purchased and then sold for any number of reasons no paper work for a sale individual to individual. One guy needs money....sale.......guy buys it cheap just to make money......sale............guy buys it shoots it.......someone sees it likes it...........trade............give it son..............needs money..........sale

12. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Same here & i've done it for many years BUT - once again--Gun can be traced back to last one that bought it thru a FFL-
    I was once the last "papered" owner of a Ruger SR9 that was used in a homicide a year or so later----My dealer got a phone call :eek:
    Then i did---

13. kycol

kycol New Member

I have bought them, but never sold one. I have given to my son. And one day he will hit the jackpot.

Edit..........I'm not like axxe who wouldn't adopt me and leave his to his son.............lol

14. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Lets just say i'm a bit more picky on my face to face deals now--
    Zero problem gifting one to a son-
    BTW, Axxe wuldn't adopt me neither :(

15. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Not exactly. An ATF Guntrace traces the gun from the manufacturer, through the wholesaler and dealer, then to the ORIGINAL purchaser. If you sell or trade the gun to a dealer, there is a record of that transaction, but not a link to the previouos dealer. The gun could bounce in and out of FFL dealer's hands multiple times, but there is no easy way to trace those transactions.

I request a trace through ATF. A couple of weeks later they send me a letter explaining who bought it FIRST from the dealer. I try to find that person. He tells me "I traded it to Joe's guns shop about 3 years ago". I contact Joe's. Joe tells me he sold it to customer #2 and the process starts all over again. It is sometimes very complicated and time consuming to find the last owner.

BTW, Texas has no gun registration and the CHL does not indicate what gun you are allowed to carry, just the class of gun (SA for Semi-auto and anything else. NSA for anything BUT a semi-auto).

I can "run" the serial number of a gun and find out if it is reported stolen, that is it. It may be stolen, but not reported. I have no clue who it actually belongs to.

16. rhyno13

rhyno13 New Member

As long as you took the concealed carry course with a semi-auto handgun, you can carry any handgun you want in Texas as long as it's concealed.

17. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Talent,

Most state laws that are reciprocity states with Texas. They normally state as long as the person carrying and traveling has a valid CCW. And they are legal as long as the weapon in their possession is legally in their possession. As stated however if you do a lot of traveling you need to check each individual states regulations. *You have states like Illinois and others who are serious exceptions.