Is this illegal?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by NvRbanArms, Jan 12, 2012.

1. NvRbanArms

NvRbanArms New Member

Is it illegal for a shop/range worker or owner to walk into Wal Mart and buy up ALL of the cheap ammo and bring it to their shop and stock it on their shelves and resell it for almost double the price. A friend of mine seen someone doing that the other week. That just ticks me off because Wally world is where I go, now I'm almost forced to pay double because they never have ammo n e more.

2. cfraga1978

cfraga1978 New Member

Isn't it about the same as people buying 4 or 5 blackfriday items and selling them on craigslist for double? I see that all the time.

3. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

I don't think it's illegal, but it is crappy. You might want to have a word with the management at Wal-Mart, they might not appreciate what's going on.

4. Magnum27

Magnum27 New Member

Unless the gun shop is AWFULLY small I can't believe they can't get better prices buying in bulk directly from the mnfg than buying with Walmarts profit built in already. Maybe they had a one time supply issue, it just seems weird.

5. cfraga1978

cfraga1978 New Member

I don't think walmart gives a crap who is buying as long as they make their money.

6. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

+100 on the better price from wholesaler. When there was a severe ammo shortage, Wally World was limiting sales to 2 boxes per person.

In order for something to be illegal, you have to find a law that says you can't do that. No such law.

7. PrimePorkchop

PrimePorkchop New Member

To hell with what wal-mart management wants =)

There's nothing at all illegal about it as long as you're legally allowed to sell ammunition.

A carpenter can go to walmart and buy nails to finish the job, right?

Wal-Mart does the same thing, except they buy from wholesalers.

Once you buy the ammo, you own it, you can do what you want with it (again, as long as you're legally allowed to sell ammo)

8. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

I can't see a carpenter going to wal-mart going in and buying ALL the nails then selling them on for a profit (besides, how many professionals go to wal-mart anyway, they don't get the contractors discount.) I never said it was illegal, just crappy. Just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should.

9. towboater

towboater Active Member

I dont see how he could stay in business very long doing that.
    I buy most of mine in bulk off the internet.

10. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member

capitalism at it's finest.If someone is stupid enough to pay the gun shops over rated price, that is their right :)

11. Magnum27

Magnum27 New Member

Where is the best source online to buy ammo?

12. notdku

notdku Administrator Staff Member

Not illegal, just not nice.

13. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

Check your state laws. There are laws on the books in some states that prohibit this behavior. Your guy isn't the first to do this, and you are certainly not the first to complain about it. I know that some of these laws were placed on the books because people were buying out batteries, chainsaws, etc, then selling them at a higher price whenever a hurricane hit.

14. Jeepergeo

Jeepergeo New Member

The Second Amendment, Free Market, and Capitalism...all things we should fight to protect.

If you want the cheap Walmart ammo prices, you need to get there when the inventory arrives. Typically, the more a store sells, the more they get, so I don't see how this local gun store is going to corner the market with a few wally world purchases.

15. cfraga1978

cfraga1978 New Member

You never know that could be his top selling ammo and not wanting to loose customers he would take the hit on his margin for a few boxes until his shipment comes in. I would rather have product on my shelves and have happy customers than make a few extra bucks.

16. orangello

orangello New Member

I suppose that is why the local Wally'sworld has had a three box limit for a while. I wouldn't buy squat from duder's store, and i would share what i saw.

17. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

Last edited: Jan 12, 2012
  18. Magnum27

Magnum27 New Member

19. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

No problem.

20. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

You ever buy ammo at the range?

I watched some poor bastard buy 3 boxes of PMC 9mm to shoot IDPA.

$19.95 EACH!

Would be easy to make money buying a box of 9mm for $9.97 at WM them selling it for double...