Is this gun safe to shoot?

Discussion in 'Training & Safety' started by Malfunctional, Apr 19, 2009.

1. Malfunctional

Malfunctional New Member

I found a Mosin Nagant m44 in my grandparents old apartment, I spoke with my mom and she doubts it has been fired since the 1960's so we took it to the gun shop and they fired 3 rounds through it. Do you think that is enough testing to guarantee it is safe to target shoot with? The end of the stock has rusted a bit and there is a small crack in the wood. Are there any other signs of damage I should look for?

Thanks

2. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

I would have a gunsmith look it over.

I can say I would not be shooting a gun with a cracked stock. that is a good way to have it implanted into your body and create an orifice that is not supposed to be there.

3. TexasCHL

TexasCHL New Member

A agree...

I tend to agree, I would not shoot the gun with the cracked stock. The gun, even if a little rusty is more than likely operational. I have a couple of the M44's, and though they are very crude in their construction, they are a solid military weapon.

Although in all reality, I really don't care to shoot the gun much since it tends to kick like a mule.

4. WDB

WDB New Member

I would hope the gun shop you took it to had a gunsmith check it before they put three rounds through it, otherwise they are beyound crazy.

A gunsmith can be the only one to tell you if it is in condition to shoot. It's a nice firearm so spend a little and have a good smith tell you the condition.

5. KIRBY

KIRBY New Member

if you want spend a little money on your old m44 they do sell after market stocks for those you can get a black monta carlo or cammo:cool:

6. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

Kirby....

You know the OP you quoted made only one post 2 years ago...right?

7. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

In accorance with well established rules of the forum, you are now morally obligated to buy this thread a birthday cake.

I like red velvet. :p

8. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker Well-Known Member

I don't think that guy with the m44 is ever coming back. I hope the gun didnt' blow up or accidently create a new orifice.:eek:

c3, it's been two years so he owes this thread two birthday cakes.:p