Is this gun going to kill me?

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by rsizzle16, Mar 16, 2013.

1. rsizzle16

rsizzle16 New Member

Hopkins and Allen single shot 12 falling block but its old as hell. The barrel has surface rust but no weld cracks or pits

2. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Blackpowder gun though, right?

3. unclebear

unclebear New Member

pics please! and if it's "old as hell" then my guess is it used black powder shells I would not WOULD NOT! try shooting modern shells in it until you get a hell of a lot more information.

4. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

Take it to a good smith. Have them check it out.

5. rsizzle16

rsizzle16 New Member

No it fires shells. sorry about the poor description I don't know much about it yet I bought it right before I left town so I haven't really studied it yet I'm just wondering if there is any things I should keep my eyes out for. I can post pictures and serial # tomorrow .

6. rsizzle16

rsizzle16 New Member

It looks solid and all the mechanicals work fine but like I said I can't really do much til tomorrow I'm just looking for red flags to keep my eye out for

7. willshoum

willshoum New Member

You hit the nail on the head..........You'll shoot your eye out if you ain't carefull, and maybe lose more than that...............Load it up with magnum shells, place in a tight vice, hook a string to the trigger, stand behind cover, then let loose.......If it doesn't blow up, then only shoot field loads in it.......:eek:;)

8. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Hopkins & Allen closed their doors in 1916. SOME of their guns were made to use shells LOADED with black powder. Some- like the double barrel I have, was made for smokeless powder.

HOWEVER- 12 g shells were not always 2 3/4 inch shells (and no, you can't tell by trying to fit a shell in it. You need a chamber guage)

SOME of those were damascus or "twist" steel- Rods of steel were heated, twisted around a core in a spiral, re-heated and hammer forged. I do not reccomend shooting those with ANYTHING.

You REALLY need a gunsmith to look it over. And remember- any other advice would be scant comfort while sitting in the Emergency Room.

9. trip286

trip286 New Member

Damn, I think a falling block shotgun would be freaking sweet. I wonder if I could build one...

10. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

I don't remember ever seeing a falling block in 12 ga. I have seen 410 and some 44XL but nothing bigger.

11. rsizzle16

rsizzle16 New Member

I don't think it is a Damascus but I still need to look closely. And it's not a falling block that's another gun. I was planning on sticking a birdshot in it and hiding behind a tree

12. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

I guess the original Win. '87 lever actions are falling blocks (tho they kinda roll). ...one in original 10 ga. and another rebarreled with a '97 tube in 12 ga. They would be used very differently...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 17, 2013
  13. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

Thanks,HockaLouis. I had completely forgotten about the Win lever shotguns(though I have never seen them classed as a falling block). My brother has a 1901 that I have shot many times.