Is this common practice?

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by mybigguns, May 5, 2012.

1. mybigguns

mybigguns New Member

I went to my local range/gun shop that I frequent at least once a week.
    I told the guy behind the counter that I wanted to rent a gun.
    Instead of asking me "Which one? " he asks if there is anyone with me?
    When I told him I was alone, he said that he couldn't rent me the gun because they don't want to be responsible if I blow my brains out on the range. I took this to mean suicide.
    Luckily I brought my own gun with me to the range and just used that, and no I didn't even come close to putting it in my mouth.

But after I got home and thought about it, that's kind of BS isn't it?
    I clearly walked in with a range bag and gun case, if I wanted to kill myself I could do that at home or right in front of him for that matter.

Has anyone run into this before?

2. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Rent-a-suicide is becoming an issue at gun ranges.

Most employees are trained to evaluate renters for this potential.

Sounds like you got one with really tacky bedside manners. :eek:

3. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

I've seen it before too. Like Cane says, this is policy at many ranges. No ones brings a friend or loved one if there planning suicide.

Were I you however, I would contact the owner. There is a difference between a person with there own equipment and someone who walks in with nothing.

I bet the answer would have been different if you'd spent time firing your own gun before asking to rent one. This sounds like an over simplified policy being miss applied by an employee. I'm sure the owner would correct it if you politely explained the situation.

Tack

4. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

This is what I was thinking, too.

5. mybigguns

mybigguns New Member

I know the range officers fairly well also, as I try to shoot weekly. I was thinking of maybe having one of them put in a good word for me.

6. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

That's an excellent idea. Most range operators I've encountered are cordial, down to earth folks who love shooting sports as much as we do. I RSO for my gun club and application of policies is always filtered through the lense of common sence.

Tack

7. kdog

kdog New Member

Well we had a case, that a metally ill person wnt to a hunters gun range and shot a few rounds, and while the RO and another shooter was in front taking up the scores, the guy shot all three of them.
    And no, it is not usual, that the guns are holstered here at the range.........all hell break loose once again here and the flipping Antis did theire thing again.

8. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

Next time, ask him what a second person is supposed to do to prevent suicides. Do they have a pamphlet?

9. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

have i been away from ranges for a while! i have never even heard of this type of questioning before. but i have for the most part been shooting on my land or land that belongs to family for almost twenty years now. suicide by rental. have never heard that one before.

10. Shoobee

Shoobee New Member

I have never been to an indoor range, the kind where they rent handguns (pistols and revolvers), but I know they exist and are popular for inexperienced shooters who are trying to learn how to shoot and/or decide what to buy.

At the outdoor ranges that I do visit once or twice a year, everyone brings their own guns (shotguns, rifles, revolvers, and pistols) and renting is not available.

I spend most of my time at the archery range, since archery skills need to be practiced year round, unlike shooting firearms, which once you learn how to do correctly the first time, you never forget. Especially if you learned by the numbers, and you can still remember the numbers.

I have never read in the news locally where anyone did a suicide at a gun range however.

I do not doubt that the employee in the above description was doing what he was told to do. The ownership is probably who is a bit paranoid in this story.

You can tell the economy is bad, when range owners are afraid despondent types will use their range for a quick exit from reality.

11. Shoobee

Shoobee New Member

Do they even have suicides there in happy valley?

When it happens here in California it usually involves isolated persons who do not have any kind of support group, ala friends.

12. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

The local range wont rent to singles any longer because of 2 suicides. The last one owned guns but he went to the range and rented one because his would have been confiscated and he wanted them to go to a relative.

13. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

My local range has had two such "firing line" suicides in about a two or three year span. That said, I've never been asked if I was accompanied by someone else before they rented a gun to me. I am a regular, and they know me by name, so that may factor in.

14. Shoobee

Shoobee New Member

Wow! That's planning ahead.

Technically I believe this is called "settling one's affairs." Suicidals sometimes do this, when they have planned it out in advance.

Ok so we seem to have a new trend on our hands in The Great Recession -- suicide at the local indoor handgun rental ranges.

Sad.

15. rjd3282

rjd3282 New Member

This is just more of the attitude that everyone should checked just in case they might do something.

16. Polygon

Polygon New Member

I didn't realize this was a large problem. I've never even heard of an instance of this happening. However, I agree, you should talk to the owner. Especially if you're there regularly. It stands to reason that someone coming there with the intent to commit suicide would not bring their own gun. It would also stand to reason that someone that wouldn't see that lack any form of logic.

Yes.

There is a dark side to "happy valley."

17. Win73

Win73 New Member

In the last several years there have been two suicides at a gun store and a firing range that I frequent. A fellow walked into the gun store and asked to look at a gun. When the clerk gave it to him he loaded a cartridge that he took out of a box on display and shot and killed himself. The gun range is a public outdoor range maintained by Fish and Game Comission. There are no range officers. One morning a couple of guys went there to shoot and they found a guy that had killed himself with a .30-30.

18. Shoobee

Shoobee New Member

Wow! Amazing.

It figures that if everyone is drinking the same koolaide that love at home would conquer all?

19. kdog

kdog New Member

To be honest, if the folks, that comitted suicide, hadn`t gotten the rental guns at a range, they would have jumped off a bridge, jumped infront of a train, hung themselves, cut open theire wrists or just would have chosen a suicide by cop.

It dosn`t matter if they got the gun as a rental at a range or not, if they want to kill themselves, they will do it. One way or the other. All of this BS on not renting out to singles and so on, is just a big pile of sh.t and just another way for the gungrabbers to make the lives or law obiding gun owners and those who want to become one, harder.

Have you ever heard of a ccar rental company not renting out to singles, because they got killed in an accident or comitted suicide in a rental car?
    Have you ever heard of a DIY shop not selling ropes to singles, after one has hung himself with one?
    Have you ever heard of a Sears, Target or Walmart not selling kitchen knives to singles, after one had cut open his wrists and killed himself?

Last edited: May 6, 2012
  20. Polygon

Polygon New Member

Well, we're not all drinking the same Kool Aide per-say. You have a lot of non-LDS people that live here. The suicide rate is low, in Happy Valley but it still happens. Not too long ago there was a man that murdered his wife and then committed suicide not far from where I live. There is also a lot of drugs here, and A LOT of prescription pain killer abuse. On the upside, we have a really low rate rate of violent crime. There's also not a lot of problems with theft compared to Salt Lake County.