Is this bad?

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by Olympus, Oct 18, 2011.

1. Olympus

Olympus New Member

That I've been thinking about trading/selling my Ruger SR9c in order to get the Kimber Solo? I really like my Ruger and it's been a great gun. When I first saw the photos of the Solo I thought it was terribly ugly. And the reviews so far have not been too stellar either. But now the more I see it, the more I kind of want one.

Is it bad that I'm having these thoughts?

2. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

I would keep the Ruger. The reports and reviews I've read so far on the Solo have not been good either. Besides the Ruger SR9c being a great gun (from my experience with it) it also has the advantage of having a lifetime warranty whereas Kimber only offers a one year warranty.

3. Olympus

Olympus New Member

Ah-ha. I failed to consider the warranty differences. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

4. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

You're welcome, Olympus. Kimber makes some good handguns, but the warranty issue and the fact some of their firearms are a hit or miss turn me away from Kimber.

5. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

If you have a little 9mm that works, keep it! The solo isn't worth near what they're asking imo.

6. Olympus

Olympus New Member

I agree. They've got them all hyped up and they're probably keeping the supply low to build even more hype to keep the price up. I doubt I would pay the prices that they're at on GB right now, that's for sure.

7. hnirider

hnirider New Member

I don't own a Kimber but I do have a Solo Carry on order. I won't speak to the quality at the range as I've seen the negative reviews too, but I do see them continually beat up on the price point.

Compared to the carry Kahr PM9, Walther PPS and Ruger LC9, the other pistols I considered, the price difference didn't strike me as that bad... and having held and inspected all side-by-side, I think the Solo Carry is worth a little more.

Hopefully my opinion won't change when I FINALLY get mine and have the chance to shoot it : )

8. Werminator

Werminator Member

I just read an article from Guns&Ammo comparing and contrasting the Springfield EMP, Ruger LC9, Kimber Solo, Kahr PM9, and Sig 290 (or 250... memory is shot more than my pistols!)... There were 3 or 4 guys who all handled the 5 pistols sharing their thoughts and then each gun had over 1200 rounds through them comparing accuracy and ergonomics... I think the Kimber is pretty but the guys writing this article ranked the Solo pretty low. Infact, if I remember correctly, only the Sig rated lower... Price considered, I would look elsewhere if you want something other than your SR9c... I have the fullsize SR9 and I am in love after over a year and 3,000 plus rounds of everything I could get my hands on...

9. fmj

fmj New Member

YES it IS bad!

Put the Kimber down and back a way.

altho pretty i have yet to see one perform any better than a weapon 1/4-1/2 the price.

Simply put, Kimbers AINT worth the coin they demand!

I have an old rule of thumb that has worked out pretty well for me. I never buy the most expensive of something (Kimber) nor do i buy the cheapest of something (typically Taurus or Rossi)

10. canebrake

canebrake New Member

I shot one and it was junk!

Fit and finish was poor and the gun looked long in the tooth even though it was almost brand new.

I think Kimber came up short on this offering! I'd stick with the SR9C.

Want more proof?

Let me google that for you

Not quite "glock-leg" status......yet!

11. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

You'll be sorry you sold the Ruger. Don't you read all those posts where people say they regret selling a particular gun? I see posts like that.............a lot! Save up so you can have both.

12. Olympus

Olympus New Member

Man, I guess I needed a reality check. Happens from time to time...:eek:

13. nccinstaller

nccinstaller New Member

Im a kimber fan i really like their 1911's. It is my favorite one i have, but i have to agree with everyone else on the solo. I saw one at a gunshow and was not very impressed at all. I have not shot one but the fit and finish was not what i have come to expect from kimber

14. Dennis845

Dennis845 New Member

I would compare that to a bad trade I recently made. A great Remington 552 Speed Master for a Browning .22 T-Bolt, big mistake I regret. Do yourself a favor and keep your pistol and save up for the Solo, then save a little more for the $65.00 FedEx each time back to Kimber. At least wait another year until they get the bugs out. Seems like two out of three people who have bought them are having problems with that new production gun. BTW, I have two Kimbers that are flawless. Just my .03 cents.

15. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

keep the ruger. its a great pistol ruger did well making it. as far as the kimber. no expriences except for the pictures ive seen.

16. Olympus

Olympus New Member

Man Dennis, what's wrong with the .22LR T-Bolt? That's on my short list too, the target/Varmint model at least. Don't tell me I picked another loser with the new T-Bolts too!

17. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

I think I may end up buying a Kimber Solo...in a year or two, at which point I'm hoping it's been developed into a reliable shooter. I wouldn't touch one right now, especially if you've already got a more reliable option that set you back half as much.

I continue to believe the Kimber Solo has tremendous potential. A few people I shoot with said they were pretty impressed with it's performance when it ran well. But they also stated that (in their experience) it only cycled reliably with +p ammunition...which is a handful in that gun, and makes for quite an expensive appetite at the range.

Stick with the Ruger for now. If you want a nicer micro 9mm buy a Kahr PM9. If your pockets run deep, there's also the Rohrbaugh R9.

18. hnirider

hnirider New Member

Pretty convincing arguments... maybe I'll cancel my Solo on order.

Since they haven't even ordered a production run yet (on the ss version) I'm about tired of waiting anyway.

19. boatme98

boatme98 New Member

Yes. Impure thoughts! Impure thoughts! :eek:
    40 Novenas and two hundred thirty Hail Mary's for you.

20. Olympus

Olympus New Member

Well, I just went to the LGS and fondled some different guns. I fondled the Glock 26, but it was too thick for my liking for an EDC. Same with the M&P compact. I tried the Ruger LC9 and it was much better in terms of weight and comfort. Very slim and easy to conceal. The bad part was the trigger. I thought it was terrible. What I didn't imagine I would like is the Sig 238. I was very impressed with the fit and finish on that gun. Racking the slide and manipulating the controls gives the impression that it's very high quality and made very well. Size is great, but I'm still on the fence with the caliber.

One small confession, I had my name put on the waiting list for a Kimber Solo AFA (against forum advice). The shop got 4 in a few weeks ago and they are selling them for $640. Hard to beat that price and maybe this way I will get to at least fondle one before I buy.