Is this a good gun/deal?

Discussion in 'Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion' started by EOD51, Oct 30, 2013.

1. EOD51

EOD51 New Member

I am looking at this gun for home defense and long range shooting applications. For the price is it a good gun or should I go with something else. The rifle runs about $2,000. I'm new to AR's so any input is much appreciated!

FRANKLIN ARMORY
    TMR-L

Barrel:
    Chambered in 5.56 NATO or 6.8 SPC
    Salt Bath Nitride Chamber, Bore, & Finish
    20” Full-Heavy Contour Barrel 1/8-Inch Twist (1/10-Inch 6.8 SPC)
    11 Degree Target Crown with Recessed Muzzle Crown
    Low Profile Gas Block with Rifle Length Gas System
    FSR 15” Rail System

Upper Receiver:
    Franklin Armory Proprietary Billet Upper Receiver
    Machined From 7075-T6 Aluminum
    Hard Coat Type III Anodized Black, Desert Smoke, or Olive Drab Green
    Full Picatinny Rail
    Badger Ordnance Gen 1 Tac Latch
    Forward Assist
    Phosphate Bolt Carrier Group

Lower Receiver:
    Franklin Armory Proprietary Billet Lower Receiver
    Machined From 7075-T6 Aluminum
    Hard Coat Type III Anodized Black, Desert Smoke, or Olive Drab Green
    Flared Magazine Well for Quick Magazine Changes
    Ambidextrous Push Button QD Sling Mounts
    Integral Cold Weather Trigger Guard
    Serrated Memory Index Point for Shooting Finger
    Textured Front Area for Offhand Grip
    Specialized Tension Screw - Eliminates Upper/Lower Play
    Franklin Armory Factory Custom Tuned Trigger
    Bullet Button™ Magazine Release (for Restricted States)
    Ergo Ambi Sure Grip

Magazine:
    Magpul Pmag P20 with Anti-Tilt Follower
    Magpul 10/20 DLX Pmag with Mag Punch (for Restricted States)

Stock:
    Magpul PRS Stock
    Snag Free Design and Sling Mountable
    Adjustable Comb Height and Length of Pull
    Bottom Picatinny Rail for Mounting of Monopod

Additional Features:
    Comprehensive Safety Manual
    California Certified Cable Lock
    Complimentary Lockable Case
    Specify Color:
    ODG/DS (5.56 NATO Only)

2. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

Two grand for an AR?! :eek:

3. dwmiller

dwmiller Well-Known Member

Way high. ;) You can get a lot more gun for that kind of money. ~$700 is right for an entry level AR. Use the excess to buy a really good optic and plenty of ammo. :D Start out basic and learn if its your first AR. You will quickly find out what you need and what you don't. Its hard to go wrong with basic milspec on the first AR.

Home defense and long range shooting really don't go together. A gun that is built for long distance work will be overheavy and awkward for home defense. The defense gun won't have the accuracy that a long distance gun needs. Guess I'm saying you can have one or the other but not both in the same rifle.

AR's can be built as anything from pistols w/5" barrels to long range hunters w/26" barrels. The carbine 16" barrel with a mid length gas system is what most of us consider to be an ideal self defense weapon. The barrel can be shorter but you need SBR paperwork and tax stamp. A 20" or longer heavy barrel is the usual distance shooter(400 yds+). Its pretty heavy 9lbs or more depending largely on the barrel.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/ Look at their complete uppers and lowers. Anyone can assemble the upper to lower, (two pins) and you need to know how to do it to clean the gun anyway. Sign up for the email list and watch their specials. Most of us here do... ;)

Last edited: Oct 30, 2013
  4. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

They do all sound like very high end specs.
    But thats a high price even for a high end AR.
    2k is close to what LWRCs go for

PS: I am sure Franklin Armoy makes fine rifles. But at that price you can get a Noveske,or a EAG edition (aka gold plated) BCM, or sometimes you see the LWRCM6A2 "Basic" for under 2k.

Otherwise there are some very fine and high end guns out there for 1200-1400 Bucks.
    Dont overpay or you will regret your buy and wont be able to enjoy it.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2013
  5. AndyRexia

AndyRexia New Member

I've got more than that in my Noveske ;-)

6. towboater

towboater Active Member

If it was me. I'd get a less expensive, but great quality home defense AR.
    Then I would buy a separate upper for long distance.
    Probably be able to do it for around $2000.

7. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

Put all the fancy parts on a chevy and its still a chevy ;)

8. dwmiller

Too true, my varmit rifle was about 2K, but the specs were a bit higher:p

9. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

I'll throw another wrench in the works.

How long is that barrel? What do you consider long range? Few guns are good for both CQB (home defense ) and long range (600 yds and more).

You could probably build one god under that price, but I'd want to figure out the primary role first.

10. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

The price of AR15 rifles is dropping every day. Unless this is going to be a Christmas gift I would wait until after Christmas to buy a rifle. Retailers will be a little nervous about inventory that hasn't moved. There is always a short burst of buying after hunting season. People that were not happy with the rifle they hunted with will often buy right after hunting season so they have a whole year to get used to the rifle. After the hunters find a rifle it's a buyers market. Things get slow and gun shops need cash to keep the lights on. I love the sweet deals of oversupply.

11. DeltaF

DeltaF New Member

No. It's not a good deal. You can get a very high quality AR for 1200-1500.

You can get a reliable AR that will last you many years for $700-$1000 ARs are like legos. You can build whatever you want.

If I had $2000 to burn I'd buy a reliable home defense AR and look into a separate upper for long distance. It wouldn't even be a stretch for that budget.

Or id find a nice AR chambered in .308

12. sadrb

sadrb New Member

Sounds like you have the money so you don't need a budget AR. I would buy a colt 6920 and be done with it

13. kbd512

kbd512 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Quite frankly, any AR much above 1.5K has features that are of dubious value for home defense. Shockingly, Uncle Sam sends most of his boys and girls into the field with carbines that cost far less than that.

Get a 1K Colt 6720 (pencil barrel profile, the one I prefer) or 6920 (M4 barrel profile, in case you need your 40MM grenade launcher for home defense- everyone's got one of them lyin around, right?). A good AR carbine will hit a man sized target at 300 yards without issue. Anything that's best suited for precision long range shooting is probably sub-optimal to poor for close range shooting.

Anyhow, a lightweight barrel and a lightweight upper without a bunch of crap on it is what you want for home defense.

Colt 6720 - $1,000
    Aimpoint Comp M3 - $600 or EoTech XPS $500
    SureFire X300 (older 170 lumen model, newer 500 lumen model will blind everyone in the room including you) - $150
    Adjustable Single Point or Two Point Sling - $30-$50
    BCM Gunfighter Charging Handle - $55
    Tools, batteries, cleaning supplies, spare parts $100
    PMAG's - $140 for 10 of the 30 round PMAG M3 magazines

That's a much better allocation of funds for 2K spent.

Don't worry, you'll spend a lot more than 2K on ammo. The carbine and accessories will seem cheap by way of comparison.

14. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

For the stated purposes, this $$$$ AR is an overkill for home defense, and as said above, possibly not enough barrel for long range. It's a tall order if taken literally. Any case, I also see a lot of sound and fury in the vendors description. For this price, no go.

15. jlc2134

jlc2134 New Member

I have looked at this same AR in 6.8 SPC. My intended purpose is a 500 yard bench gun, predator gun, and select CXP2 game hunting. This model will have a base weight of 9-10#. Add a full magazine and optics to that and you have a heavy gun. I have a Franklin HTF-4 and really like the gun. It is accurate and durable. Is 2K a lot for a AR? Absolutely! However, if it meets your needs I don't think you will disappointed with the Franklin. Having said that there are many options at the 2K price point.

16. dwmiller

I don't doubt that Franklin builds a good gun. Hard to build a bad one with that parts list. But it seems kinda high when I just built a precision 6.8 for ~$900! ;) And the original poster wants a gun that will do long range and self defense both. You could do a single lower and a pair of purpose specific uppers in this price range. Probably a better option for his budget!

Last edited: Nov 2, 2013
  17. Argyle_Armoring

Argyle_Armoring New Member

You can get an awesome, extremely reliable and accurate AR-15 from Argyle Armoring for a lot less than that and it's billet not forged aluminum.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2013
  18. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i guess the OP didn't like the suggestions and advice!:eek:

19. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

Reckon that was Franklin Armory doing some research?

20. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

never thought of that. but, that's quite possible. small company wanting some feedback and opinions without calling attention to themselves by posting on gun forums, and then sitting back and seeing what people are saying and thinking.