is this a good buy?

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by dsmith84, Aug 15, 2009.

1. dsmith84

dsmith84 New Member

ive been looking for a decent deer rifle and unfortunately i'm definately on the low end as far as budget. i found a mossberg 100 atr in a 30-06 with a tasco scope for 250 it looks in good condition. the bolt moved a little sluggish but i think a good cleaning and oiling will fix that what you guys think? will i get a better rifle for the price? gun and rifle prices are a little above average in my part of the land. thanks for any help guys or girls if we have any here in the forum

2. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

3. dsmith84

dsmith84 New Member

thanks that really helps as far as it sounds like it is a really good hunting rifle and i'm lucky since the one i was lookin to buy is the 30-06 seems to be the prefered caliber. but is this a really good price or is it average?

4. BILLYBOB44

BILLYBOB44 Active Member

Average???

84, for $250 it's a pretty good price, esp. if the Tasco is decent and will hold a zero. As noted, this is not a target gun-expect to shoot well enough for Deer hunting, NOT X-ring shooting. Find the loads it likes and get yourself a Deer.;)

5. dsmith84

dsmith84 New Member

thanks buddy. thats the plan :) i hope it doesnt get sold before friday maybe i can even haggle and get it cheaper

6. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

It's a good rifle for the price. I have one and have taken several deer with it. As mentioned, its a field rifle, it will take deer out to the effective range of a 30-06 but don't expect to win any competitions with it.

7. dsmith84

dsmith84 New Member

well my friends aren't into firearms or hunting so i couldn't really shoot anything before i bought it and since budget is a big concern my options were limited.

but i did it i bought my beauty today it is a used mossberg 100 atr in a 30-06 springfield with a nice 3-9x40 tasco scope that was drill and tap mounted to the rifle. i cleaned it and oiled it and the bolt slides like butter now. i'm happy with it. prolly going to the range next payday to zero in the scope and get the feel of it. i'm ready for deer season now. i sure can't wait. i'll try to post some pictures of it tomorrow. thanks guys for all your help it really helped me out alot. also i'll post some pics whenever deer season starts and i get my first buck

sorry for the double post i meant to put it on this thread but i put it on the other one first because i didn't see this one.

8. dsmith84

dsmith84 New Member

oh and it also has a recoil absorber of whatever you call it at the end of the stock