Is this a decent upper?

Discussion in 'Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion' started by beastmode986, May 12, 2013.

1. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

The upper seems to be suspiciosly inexpensive. Is a 1:9 what you want?
    In my experience the charging handle os less impprtant than the latch itself. (Standard kinda sucks, easily replaced)
    The bolt should be sufficient.

2. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

I have a DS upper 1:9 non chrome lined. With a standard mil spec bolt with semi auto carrier. 16". No issues at all. ZERO rapid fire or slow, brass case and steel .223 or 5.56.

Accurate as well. Shoots better than I can. Very happy with my purchase. Its tight on my RRA lower. They machine their own uppers, t marked as well. Finish is nice. I can take pics later if you want.

I would buy again in a heart beat.

3. beastmode986

beastmode986 New Member

Ok thanks man, Pictures would be nice.

4. kytowboater

Hope these help ya. I love this thing.

Good for someone on a budget. They build some of the best FALs in the game.

Attached Files:

5. beastmode986

beastmode986 New Member

Awesome ar15! Thanks.

6. kytowboater

Quite welcome. Thanks and good luck bub.

7. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Personally... I would not buy a barrel that was not chrome lined.

That statement indicates that I've never owned one so my distrust is not based on personal experience... Just decades of 2nd hand stories of poor reliability under adverse conditions.

All that said, it's probably just fine for a range gun given religious maintenance.

Good luck,

Tack

8. kytowboater

As much as I get to shoot its a non issue for me.

9. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Conversely, my 6 years of Infantry Service was behind a chrome lined M16A2... without a single malfunction in either range or field conditions.

I can not say that either of the 16" AR15 uppers "both chrome lined" I've owned are as reliable as my issued M16's were but malfunctions are few and far between.

The biggest difference in the two platforms that I'm aware of is the length of the gas system. The shorter AR gas tubes on the 16" guns do not allow as much powder to burn cleanly before getting vented back into the action to cycle the bolt. The other factor could bs ammo as we Vets and Civi's buy our own and typically settle for the best deal in a plinking load.

Regardless... If I were in the market today... I'd be opting for a rifle length gas tube on my new upper.

Again, not much science here... Just 22 years experience behind both the M16 and the AR15.

Tack

10. kytowboater

To do it over, I would get a mid length system with a 1/8 chrome lined.

11. beastmode986

beastmode986 New Member

I can always buy a chrome lined barrel later as well.

12. kytowboater

If its something you want they have them. For what I do, I don't get to shoot a lot and its a range lizard. Stays cleaned well. It's not an issue. Chrome lining is said to very slightly decrease accuracy. Dsa claims their barrels have a "lining" that helps protect. I can't recall the name they have it. I love mine. It's good for someone on a budget. I.e. me. I'm the provider for my family as the only worker. With bills that were from when 2 were working. Life is tight and this upper allowed for me to finish my rifle. Like I said I love it.

13. kytowboater

With that being said, when I build another on it will be chrome lined so I can abuse it if I need to, and not worry about it as much.

14. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Yes you could... but there are some specialized tools needed to change a barrel... and head spacing is critical to accuracy. Way over my head.

I've never done it myself and after months of frustrations trying to find a competent gun smith who would do it and not quote me a 6 month wait... I just wound up popping on a second complete upper.

Now I've got a perfectly good bushmaster upper sitting in my safe with a 14.5" chrome lined barrel and permanently affixed 1.5" muzzle brake.

The annoyance of the "LOUD" and unnecessary muzzle brake was the reason for wanting to swap barrels in the fist place.

I guess my point here is that if you've got the tools are confident in the ability to do a barrel swap, then go ahead. It will still cost you more in the long run but at least will be "doable".

If you like me and would not entertain swapping your own barrel, your probably better of to save up for what you really want and like Towboater... I'd highly recommend a mid length gas systems with chrome lined barrel and chamber.

Tack

15. BigBizz87

BigBizz87 New Member

What's the best twist rate on a mid length 16 in barrel to shoot all Grains of ammo?

16. kytowboater

I think from what I've read 1/8 is a great twist rate. Nothing wrong with the 1/9 tho.

17. BigBizz87

BigBizz87 New Member

What about 1/7 that seem to be very common

18. kytowboater

Not to sure about that one