Is This a C&R Pistol?

Discussion in 'Curio & Relic Discussion' started by CA357, Dec 31, 2010.

1. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Is this Llama .38 Super a C&R pistol? I'm having trouble finding out.

Attached Files:

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Sorry- 2010 Standard Catalog of Firearms shows your slide markings as "current production". Absent something like a bill of sale that is 50 yrs old or older, do not think so. Nor is it listed on the BATFE list(s) as a C&R.

Of course, CA does nt permit C&R handguns to be shipped to an 03 C&R holder IN California......

Is there a model number on the gun?

3. CA357

No, it just says .38 Super on the other side of the slide. I could go through a regular FFL, but that runs between $60. to $125. to do the transfer. :eek:

I have a CZ82 that's been rat holed and I was hoping to sell it to buy this. I guess it's out, I don't want any beef with the Feds. CA is tough enough.

I can hang with the CZ82. I've just had a hankering for a .38 Super ever since I shot Jo da plumber's Colt Commander in .38 Super. :eek:

4. pumpkinball

pumpkinball New Member

Call me stupid but what's "C&R"?

5. CA357

You're not stupid Pumpkin. C&R stands for Curio and Relic.

6. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Pumpkin- there are several different classes of Federal Firearms Licenses in the US- 01 is a dealer, 02 is a pawnshop, and an 03 is a collector of Curio & Relic firearms. C&R is defined as a firearm that derives most of its value from its collectable status. They include firearms that are 50 yrs old, or older, and cetain newer guns on a list published by the BATFE, such as all Winchester Mdl 88s, All Colt Woodsman pistols, etc. License is $30 for 3 years.

Lets say I find a refined gentleman from the Pacific Northwest- I live in VA. He has an M1 carbine he wants to sell to pay his gambling debts. We come to an agrement on the price. I send him a photocopy of my FFL and payment. He puts carbine in mail to my door. Mailman delivers. I scurry around trying to hide rifle so I don't have to play the "What? This old thing?" game with Household 6 (wife). No dealer required.

Most fun you can have for $30 that will not require antibiotics to fix. :p

7. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I had one back in 1961. You would have to verify the age with a serial number or an old bill of sale. It was a pretty decent pistol as I recall. I dont remember any function problems but all I shot was factory hardball. Not much else available back then.