Is there any truth in this?

Discussion in 'NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion' started by fireguy, Jul 7, 2012.

1. fireguy

fireguy New Member

I just read this on another forum I am on and don't believe it to be true. Can anybody give me an instance in which it happens?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hammerhead123
    just received over 6,000 rounds from Cheaper Than Dirt-gonna pick up 3 more guns later tonight...

Dont know if it bothers you or not but buying guns in quantity like that (depending on the make and models) from a dealer, will make the transaction be scrutinized by the ATF or local law enforcement. Whenever you buy multiple handguns or certain long guns, the dealer MUST send a letter to the ATF and one to local law enforcement. Whether or not they look into it is up to them but it may draw unwanted attention to you.

2. SSCRS

SSCRS New Member

Believe that's true on borders states as far as atf goes. Some states have additional regulations on reporting possibly.

3. rjd3282

rjd3282 New Member

If it's legal why should it bother you? Big deal he bought 3 guns, he probably already has huge collection anyway, what's three more guns.

4. FFL01user

FFL01user New Member

What are you talking about? Is there any truth in what? You read what on another forum? The only thing I see in your post is that someone bought 6K rounds of ammo and they're going to buy 3 more guns. What's the problem?
    It's true that if an an unlicensed person acquires two or more pistols or revolvers or any combination of pistols or revolvers totaling two or more at one time or during five consecutive business days the FFL has to submit a form to the ATF but how is that relevant here?

5. fireguy

fireguy New Member

Wow, I guess I have to spell it out pretty well for some dense people here.
    It there any truth in a multiple gun purchase requiring a letter to the ATF? I know that there was an attempt to require reporting on border states, but I don't have information that this was in a border state.
    For those who ask "why do I care?" it is because I want to have knowledge in this. I think people should be able to buy as many guns as they can afford. Sheesh. I don't know about this forum anymore, it used to be a helpful place, but now seems like a den of jerks just wanting to blast some one.

6. roughneck266

roughneck266 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Yes there is truth in it. We had to fill one out the other day because my friend bought three handguns from us at one time.

7. opaww

opaww New Member

fireguy asked a question which is a legit question. contrary to popular beliefs many people actualy don't know every law regarding every issue of firearms. Don't be an ass when responding to questions that people ask in this forum that is what we are here for, not for your personnel entertainment.

As far as the question goes, my understanding is that multiple sales of more then 2 of any semi-auto larger then .22 cal and that has a detachable mag. in the 4 boarder states (Ca, Az, NM,TX) must be reported to the ATF. Here where I live nothing is reported even if I buy 10 AK-47's all I do is fill out the 4473 and pay my money and take them home.

8. KimberNut

KimberNut New Member

You can buy any gun and any quantity at most TX gunshows. Especially those not near a major metroplex (DFW)

9. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

It's older news and affects gun dealers in CA, AZ, NM and TX. I believe it is based on "demand letters" issued by the ATF. Here's a link to NRA-ILA with a whole host of articles explaining it in detail - http://www.nraila.org/search.aspx?s=demand letters

10. FFL01user

FFL01user New Member

What was the legit question that started this thread?

11. FFL01user

FFL01user New Member

I just read this on another forum I am on and don't believe it to be true. Can anybody give me an instance in which it happens?

12. BillM

BillM Active Member Supporter

Actually, it's not just border states if they are handguns:

ATF form 3310.4

"This form is to be used by licensees to report all transactions in which an unlicensed person acquired two or more pistols or revolvers or any combination of pistols or revolvers totaling two or more at one time or during five consecutive business days. This form is not required when the pistols or revolvers are returned to the same person from whom they are received."

http://www.atf.gov/forms/download/atf-f-3310-4.pdf

Look down the form a ways---there is reference to sending a copy to local law.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2012
  13. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

Exactly! The term five consecutive business days is tricky too, cause if you buy on one Monday and then come back and buy another handgun on Friday it falls within the window and must be reported. That's applies across the board no matter what state you are in.

14. fireguy

fireguy New Member

Thank you for your reasonable responses. I appreciate it a lot.
    Maybe it's because of the heat but it seems manners are not what they once were around here.

15. paul

paul New Member

Fireguy's ?

Please don't let the responses from two smart mouths discourage you. The rest of us didn't appreciate their bad manners either. Hope you'll continue to reply in the forums.

16. okdonk

okdonk New Member

As long as they are legit.. nothing to worry about.

17. wjnfirearms

wjnfirearms New Member

To reiterate, yes. Handguns bought in more that two of a total purchased quantity within a five day window of consecutive days has to be reported to ATF. They provide FFLs with a form to do this and mandate that the form must be faxed or mailed pretty much immediately. Unless any given state has a similar reporting requirement, there is nothing on any other level that requires this reporting.

Now, the loophole to this is that is someone local to me buys a gun from, say, Bud's Gun Shop online and has it sent to someone else local for processing and two days later buys a gun from me, unless the buyer tells me about the first purchase, I'd have no way of knowing about the one he bought from Bud's, so I wouldn't be sending in the reporting form. There's no way for us to know about previous purchases from other dealers unless the buyer freely admits to the purchase. We are not required to ask if anyone has bought guns days previously and I don't see why anyone would. I don't like to have to send these forms in and doubtful does anyone else does either, but it shouldn't stop you from making multiple purchases if that's what you have occasion to do.

18. kycol

kycol New Member

Also kinda along those lines, kinda. When I moved to this house about 15 years ago. I surrendered my ffl, as it was easier than dealing with all the paper work and I wasn't making any money with it anyway. I had to box up all my forms and paperwork and send it in. What I don't know is exactly what they do with it. Do they enter it in their system or just place the box in a dusty warehouse somewhere!

19. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Dusty warehouse. They are unable to find their own NFA paperwork for registered full autos, much less an out-of-business dealer's 4473s.

20. kycol

kycol New Member

That's kinda what I thought