Is there an iconic Ruger pistol?

Discussion in 'Ruger Handgun Forum' started by cc-hangfire, Feb 5, 2015.

1. cc-hangfire

cc-hangfire New Member

Most manufactures have one or two iconic models that serve (or used to serve) as the flagship pistol for the brand. Browning High Power, Colt 1911, Beretta M9/92 , Glock 17, Walther PPK, CZ75, etc.

My first thought is the Ruger Mark series, but is there a center fire pistol that has that distinction for Ruger? Maybe the P series?

Since Ruger focuses on the civilian market, there doesn't seem to be a full sized pistol that was made in huge quantities (law enforcement or military contract). Opinions?

(Not long guns, now; the 10/22 owns that category)

2. SparkPlug

SparkPlug New Member

Blackhawk, Redhawk, GP100, Super Blackhawk, Super Redhawk, ect., ect.,,,,,

3. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

Blackhawk.

Everything else is something that another company already did or currently does better. Ruger makes a good solid gun but there is nothing about them that makes a Ruger a must have.

4. 25-5

25-5 New Member

Ruger Blackhawk Bisley .44 Mag.

Attached Files:

5. JonM

JonM Moderator

I kinda disagree. No one does a single action short of the unicorn saa colt puts out now and then better than ruger. Ruger's da revolvers are leaps ahead of anything coming out of smith and wesson.

Pocket guns nothing is equal much less better than the lcp And lcr.

In terms of rifles and shotguns and full size autos ruger drops the ball

As for iconic guns the 10/22 is THE iconic gun of all excepting the colt 1911. But for handguns it has to be the ruger revolver. When the word revolver is tossed about the first thing that pops in my mind is ruger revolvers.

6. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

Depends on how you read iconic. To me it has to be something original (Ruger blackhawk is out), instantly recognizable, and a cultural phenomenon. The closest Ruger would be the MK22. I am not sure any Ruger is truly "iconic" in a way the old brands are.

7. shadecorp

shadecorp Active Member Supporter

I submit
    the original
    Single Six.
    Had one, was stolen.

8. Gonzilla

Gonzilla Active Member

The MK I, II, III or 10/22 for OP.

Yet, I am wondering why Ruger gets no respect South of Mason/Dixon Line ?

I agree w Jon about the LCP being successful - most popular in history if you go by sales but still no respect. My brother is LEO and he tells me if you buy a Ruger you had better love it because you will never be able to sell it.

I thought the LCP w be a perfect BUG for police but evidently those who bought them were selling them.

9. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

first thing i thought of was the mkI,II,III...:)

10. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Single actions are made all over the world.

The Mk line is only made here in the US of A, and is not copied.

When one sees the silhoulette of a MKI, it cannot be mistaken for any other brand.

11. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

The Mark series is nothing remarkable and Browning does it better. The Browning has a better trigger, easier slide to cock and far easier disassembly for cleaning.

12. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

I think this discussion speaks for itself: No. :)
    When something is "iconic", there is no dispute. Like it or not, it's across the board. Colt Peacemaker. M1911. Volkswagen Beetle. The iPhone. A cultural symbol.

Iconic IMO does not mean the best. Honda is like Ruger, not much glamor, but a rock solid product you can depend on.

13. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

I think of the Service/Security Six or even the GP100/SP101 when I think of iconic, because they are truly original in design, neither a copy of Colt or S&W or anyone else. I personally would not consider the Mark series iconic because they are more or less a copy of a Luger P-08, and the 22/45 is a copy of the 1911 grip angles, in the same way that the single action revolvers are copies of old Colt revolvers.

14. indy36

indy36 New Member

The 22/45?

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

Last edited: Feb 6, 2015
  15. jackrich3

jackrich3 Active Member Supporter

Old Model Blackhawk. 41 mag and 30 cal

Attached Files:

16. cc-hangfire

cc-hangfire New Member

I think Mercator nailed it:

I was really only thinking of semi-auto pistols (so I posted on that forum), and there are several Ruger revolvers that are arguably iconic: GP100, SP101, Security Six, the Red Hawk & Black Hawk. And in the rifle side I'd forgotten the Mini-14, along with the 10/22.

But for semi-auto's only the Mark I,II, III screams Ruger.

I like the Honda comparison - I heard their cars described as "transportation appliances". Ruger makes semi-auto "firearm appliances"; so rugged and reliable that they become ordinary. Nothing wrong with that as a product line; my EDC's are Kel Tek "tools" & Ruger makes higher quality copies of those designs. Excellent build quality - just not a signature model in the semi-auto bunch.

And the reason that I raise the question is that I am building a 9mm semi-auto collection. I have 10 pistols (SIG, CZ, FN, Walther, S&W, ...), but no Ruger. I felt guilty leaving them out & wondered if I'd missed one.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2015
  17. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

In fairness, the Mark I was not a Luger copy. It is completely different inside. The Luger silhouette was adopted earlier by Colt and probably HS in their target rimfire pistols. The Mark I took after them.

It is true that the 22/45 doesn't count. It was a deliberate reference to the 1911. It don't think anyone here nominated the 22/45.

18. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

I know, they were designed up as a good shooter, not a Luger shrunk down to be a .22, but they sure do look a lot alike, but i'm sure that non revolver guys would think the same about the service six's vs a S&W.

19. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

Actually, I believe the Ruger Mark pistols are taken in design from the Japanese Nambu pistols not the Luger.

20. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

The bolt design might be, but overall I still think the Mark's resemble the Luger more than the Nambu. But in all fairness Japan copied the crap out of the Luger so I guess no one is wrong here.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 6, 2015