Is there a typical progression of purchases?

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by 12fretter, Apr 12, 2011.

1. 12fretter

12fretter New Member

Just getting into firearms as of late, I am wondering if there is a typical progression in weapons purchase. For instance, I have .380 ACP and .45 ACP pistols that I love to target shoot with, I just picked up a 10-22LR that's a lot of fun. I will start hunting small game with that this year, never having hunted before. After that, is there a logical next purchase in my future? I was thinking of a mini 14 to get me to the next level ammo. What do you all think?

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

my first centerfire pistol was a desert eagle 357magnum.

my first centerfire rifle was a colt SP1 in .223 the next one was a winchester mod70 in 458winmag.

unless you have a specific need whatever strikes your fancy long as you know the plus and minus of what your getting.

so if your getting a mini14 to be a 600yd tack driver your gonna be a little upset....

3. opaww

opaww New Member

There is no absolute Progression in firearms, though there is some common ground that many have traveled over the years. But this is not an absolute, Such as many get a BB gun or .22 lr rifle as there first then the next they might buy is say a .357 mag revolver.

Some start their gun experiences out with a shotgun, and then graduate to a medium cal. rifle. I guess the only common thing with most gun owners is they start small then when the bug bites they buy anything they can.

4. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I think it's different for each person. I'll warn you though, buy a 1911 or an old S&W wheel gun and you'll find that it's near impossible to walk away from one. Can't beat the feel of a 1911 and S&W has the most beautiful bluing in their old guns....they're just sexy.

5. 12fretter

12fretter New Member

Well, I guess I was more wondering, if you've never shot a rifle before, and you start with a 22, you're not going to want to go to a Sharps 1874 next, regardless of how enamored you may be with that weapon. Wouldn't you want to work your way up, recoil-wise, so that you're not wasting your time and getting frustrated by jumping over some major steps?

6. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Recoil is what it is and I don't think you work yourself up to it. A 300 Win Mag is going to kick regardless of how much .22 LR you've shot. I tend to pick my guns based on needs so if I need to shoot varmints - I'd get a varmint rifle, etc...

7. 12fretter

12fretter New Member

I understand that, but if you never shot any gun before, you wouldn't start off with a 44Magnum. You would be so bad at it that you'd never want to shoot again. Getting used to recoil, gradually, may be a better way to learn to shoot consistently, no?

8. JonM

JonM Moderator

if you got a 12ga shotgun try some slug shooting 2 3/4 and 3inch mag slugs. most rifles in the 45-70 range are very close to that level of recoil.

9. 12fretter

12fretter New Member

What is meant by 45-70 range? Sorry, I'm really ignorant.

10. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

I guess im weird... My first 2 guns were a SKS and a .40 Sigma (beside my pellet gun, when I was wee lad....) ..... I didnt get the .22's till later....

Ive found most calibers arent really that bad, the recoil may make your accuracy suffer, but its not going beat you up.. i have had friends who wanted to shoot my 12 ga as their first gun, but totally were unprepared for it... For the big stuff you just gotta keep a good grip and keep the butt tight to your shoulder(long guns).

As for your progression of puchases, it depends what your into. Old mil-surps are my thing so i got me a rusky SKS, A buddie of mine wanted to get into hunting so his first gun was a shotgun and now hes saving for a nice hunting rifle. Another friend wanted something for personal protection so his first was a small 9mm. Then sometimes theres just those deals you cant pass up on...... [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 12, 2011
  11. JonM

JonM Moderator

you mentioned the sharps rifle and its typical caliber is the 45-70 government. 45-70 stands for a 45cal bullet over 70grains of blackpowder (thats 70grains by volume not weight). this is pre-smokeless nomenclature.

12. 12fretter

12fretter New Member

Oh HA! You'd think I would have known since I brought it up! The only thing I knew about that gun was that it was big and powerful. See, I didn't lie about being ignorant! Thanks for clearing it up.

13. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

My progression was to buy this one here. Then, I saw that one, so I bought that. I just kept looking and trying and shooting and I wound up buying those. Now, these, I bought a little bit after I bought those. ;)

14. JonM

JonM Moderator

np :) some of us that have been around guns for years tend to forget that there are folks that need a little extra info when we crank off with grognard stuff ;)

15. 12fretter

12fretter New Member

And that's EXACTLY what my wife is afraid of! She's already been through this with guitars.

16. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

The first pistol I ever owned personally was a 45 followed quickly by a 357. My first rifle was a 30-06. I was 12 when I bought my first shotgun and it was a 12 ga. They weren't the first weapons I had ever fired but the first ones I owned. Recoil never bothered me, I just learned to manage it.

17. 12fretter

12fretter New Member

I'm beginning to think that a 12ga shotgun is a great versatile weapon to have around. I'll bet pawn shops are loaded up with them too. The good news is, a 12ga and a 10-22 look exactly the same...to my wife ;)

18. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

In that case ya' better not let her shoot them. :eek:

19. Lindenwood

Lindenwood New Member

My progression of guns went like this:

Maverick88 12g: Hated it mostly due to noise and recoil, and traded it away after about 30 shells through it.

HiPoint 995: Liked it and put maybe 200 rounds through, but at the time didn't have a huge ammo budget and didn't get to shoot it as much as I'd have liked.

Bought a Ruger 10/22: Used it almost weekly for about a year (a couple hundred rounds per week, average) and, on top of research and training DVDs, learned a lot of my current level of long-gun shooting mechanics through this.

Then I bought a PT92: This became my main go-to gun, and I practice a LOT. Only maybe 1500-1750 rounds, but probably 20,000 dry-fires in the first year. I really learned how to shoot handguns well through this weapon, and did a few IPSC competitions with it. However, I found myself rarely carrying it because my work wardrobe could not conceal it and I was riding a motorcycle daily so I couldn't leave it in my vehicle. It stayed in the safe about 6 days per week.

I then bought a Mossberg 500 in .410 for my GF, and learned to reload those shells for it.

Gave that to my mom and bought myself a Mossberg 590A1 12g. With better shooting technique, and the learned value of a good recoil pad, I put a few hundred shells through it and practice a lot of defensive long gun use.

Traded that for a Walther P22 pistol (.22lr) for my GF, after deciding I'd rather us get better with weapons we could consistently have (handguns) than long guns which are most often left in the safe.

Then I traded the 9mm PT92 pretty much strait-across for a Kel-tec PF9. Wasn't as reliable as I'd have liked, and I absolutely hated shooting it due to the trigger guard snapping against my finger. Sold it after about 150 rounds.

Later, I bought a .44 Magnum Raging Bull, which has been a joy to shoot and reload for.

I then gave the P22 back to the GF (ex) for her protection since she was living alone.

So yeah, I went

12g --> 9mm Carbine --> .22 carbine --> 9mm fighting pistol --> .410 shotgun --> 12g shotgun --> .22 pistol --> 9mm subcompact pistol --> .22 pistol --> Huge .44magnum revolver.

I have a few things that catch my eye these days, but nothing that I particularly need. My most likely next purchase is either a .22lr target pistol like a browning buckmark (can never have too much fun with an accurate .22lr pistol), or a .243 rifle (I miss scoped rifle shooting, even if I learned most all of it on a .22).

Definitely no particular order, haha.
    Just get what you like, and make sure you know enough about it to have justified it for what you want to do with it.

20. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Depends on Black powder pressure, or modern preesure. I started w/ a .22 rifle. Next I moved to a 12ga extra full choke goose gun. That sucker explodes the blood vessels in your shoulder. Been shooting that one off and on for 40+ years. only a 2 3/4 chmber, but it is nasty, fun too.