Firearms Talk banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
I am not a collector of guns .
I accumulate guns .
A collector never sells ....... I have a hard time sell but do at times .
As far as a bad gun ...... to me that is just a winter project to work on & get right .
New guns with problems get sent back ...... old guns get repaired in house .

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I've had some bad luck...
Ruger SR9C...
mag release would pop the mag in holster. Enamel flakes off, trigger would stick and not reset.
Traded that for a gen3 G19.
S&W SD VE...
Terrible shooter. Just would not hold a group for me.
Sold it
Bear Creek .458 SOCOM...
Would not go into battery or feed rounds. Sent back twice until they fixed it.
Sold it bought a RRA upper.
Taurus G2C...
Improper drilled hole in slide. Guide rod went out the front of the pistol. Sent in, they replaced .
Traded for a safe.

So, yeah... id say ive had a few clunkers, junkers and stinkers.
Decades ago, my Dad bought a Remington semi auto rifle with a spent shell deflector (forgot model #) that jammed more than it didn't. NOTHING would fix it. He wisely got rid of it and I bought a Marlin Golden 39M which I still have. Remington has an overall sketchy record with some good guns and some POS products. And today Remington....is no more.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Yep I have one I collect Mosin Nagant surplus rifles & I got one at a pawn shop for $50.
It was a Hungarian M44 it was rough when I bought it just like a lot of the others but I figured I could get it to shoot well just like the others. Someone tried to make a scoped shooter out of it by drilling for a scope mount. Boy was I wrong, the barrel on this gun is totally worn out. It hits a 20' group at 100 yds. mostly keyholes if I happen to hit a target. But I use it to test my reloads. LOL

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
So I went to visit a friend who owns a shop and smithing and he had a first model Jennings J-22 waiting for a mag. I liked the look and feel so I did my research, and despite the bad reviews and reputation, I decided to get it anyway if he got a mag for it.

I picked it up and will be playing with it tomorrow.

Anyway, is there an unwritten rule out there that a collector has to have or have had a bad gun at one point?

Anyone have any fun or good stories about the J-22 or bad guns in general that they'd like to vent about?
It's like anything else. If you're not learning then why spend the time on something?

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have a couple of pistols I wish were better, but I don't have one I consider bad.

I have a GSG Firefly I wanted to love, but kept having feeding issues. After about 1500rnds it has started acting just as smooth as the rest of my pistols, finally. Thing about 22s is you gotta keep them clean.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts