Is there a good mosquito out there???

Discussion in 'SIG Sauer Forum' started by tankwilson, Oct 11, 2013.

1. tankwilson

tankwilson New Member

Hey guys looking to buy a 22 pistol. My wife has a sr22 and it is a super nice piece. Its a little too small for me. Im looking to get something I can put alot of rounds through so I can practice and not spend so much cash on other calibers.

Ive heard good and bad things about sig's mosquito. Even with that im seriously thinking about buying one.

1st question- who has the best price?

2nd question- is there a serail number batch that is good or bad?

Thanks

2. Josh1158

Josh1158 New Member

You gota find the ones that were made on a wednsday

3. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

I'm sure after a proper break in period they're fine. You may want to consider a SIG/GSG 1911-22. Quite reliable and a full size 1911 frame.

4. orangello

orangello New Member

I think I saw one of those listed on thefiringline, but there was a colt 1911 in .22lr in this forums classifieds for $400, I bleve.

5. tankwilson

tankwilson New Member

Or ive been thinking about the M&P 22

6. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

The Mosquito alone in the whole SIG Sauer brand has consistently drawn complaints beyond the usual Internet chatter. Its resale value has been low. It may have improved lately, but if I bought one today, I'd order through Davidson's for their Lifetime Guarantee, just in case.

7. tankwilson

tankwilson New Member

So anyone got a used one for sale?

8. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

Try the classifieds section

9. tankwilson

tankwilson New Member

Found a used one somewhat local for $280 like new. Im still debating if they are good or if I want to mess with a gun that jams alot.

10. sbeezy

sbeezy New Member

I second this. Really fun gun. Downsides: expensive magazines that only hold 10 rounds and the gun itself only comes with 1. So it's a little tiring reloading the magazine after every string. But if you have the money for more magazines you won't be disappointed. It's probably my favorite gun to shoot.

11. Argyle_Armoring

Argyle_Armoring New Member

I recommend the M&P 22. I've never shot a Mosquito that worked well without a problem.

12. jrfusatf

jrfusatf New Member

I own the Sig 1911-22 with over 3k rounds using CCI standard and Remington golden bullet, no issues great looking gun, well I think so, payed $395, good luck.

Attached Files:

13. JonM

JonM Moderator

If your going to shoot a bunch ruger mk3 and a ultimate clip loader is the way to go. You can load 5 mags in about 15 seconds.

The mosquito is utter junk. I've got one and its a total pos. Don't do it.

Did I say not get one?? Don't.

You will thank me. If you do get one I reserve the right to fully mock you later heh.

14. tankwilson

tankwilson New Member

What ammo do you shoot through it?

15. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

Hell, I love my 22/45 as well. Great full sized pistols 5.5" bull barrel, super accurate and it eats everything I feed it.

16. tankwilson

tankwilson New Member

Im gonna go buy a new one Saturday. Hope I dont regret it.

I figured if I buy a used one might have more of a chance on getting a lemon.

17. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

Oil it and break in with good power ammo. If you want extra insurance, you can buy through Davidson's, I hear they do honor their replacement guarantee.

18. tankwilson

tankwilson New Member

So im getting ready to get my sig mosquito. I have my cci mini mag 100 box and a 550 round federal box. I have compared everything and all the specs are the same. I know they recommend using cci for breakin but what happens when I run out. Will the federal work the same? Whats the difference?

ForumRunner_20131017_211347.jpg

19. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

Normally, the difference is immaterial. The Mini Mags have a better reputation. Some guns just love the Feds, while others (of the same model) don't. Rimfire pistols are a lot less consistent in their behavior than centerfire guns. If the gun keeps telling you it doesn't like certain ammo, take heed and try something else. Malfunctions will not ruin the pistol, the cartridge is soft and will break itself rather than the internals. Also, sometimes HP's have trouble feeding into the chamber, at least initially. It is good you have at least 2 brands of ammo to cross check if a problem is ammo related.

20. tankwilson

tankwilson New Member

Ok next question. I see cci has a handfull of different 22lr. What one specifically is recommended for break in?