Is there a best carrying spot (conceiled) when it comes to SD?

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by elglockeroloko30, Nov 29, 2011.

1. elglockeroloko30

elglockeroloko30 New Member

Hi everyone, i just got my carrying license yesterday and took my glock 23 to my work for the first time. I bought the only holster it was availble in kind of a hury and put it in my hip because i work both seated and standing. Two problems ,it was uncomfortable as i felt the barrel pushing against my thigh all the time and it made a big bulge in my hip. I live in Puerto Rico and here if someone can notice you are armed its kind of a big issue and you can get in trouble, even if you have a licence. With my 23, it conceals better in my back, leg, front aspect of my hip(but there it would be uncomfortable to seat) or a fany pack. The thing is i dont know if those areas are adequate when it comes t SD. I woul like to read your thoughts and experiences!

2. vincent

vincent New Member

I'm assuming you're carrying IWB, it takes some getting used to. If it's uncomfortable, you're not as likely to wear it. The 23 is a bit long for CC (IMHO) but lots of folks do it. As far as presentation, it's all subjective. Obviously drawing from an OWB holster is going to be quicker but with practice, lots and lots of practice, you can get to it quickly from just about anywhere but your ankle. Some folks are lightning fast from a cross draw, some not so much. Take the time to find yourself a holster that is perfect for you and is comfortable to wear then just practice your draw. So to answer the question, there is no one perfect spot for everyone, it's what works best for you.

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

Finding a comfy holster is why a lot of people have drawers full of like new barely used holsters.

Ive just started my personal collection :(

4. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

I'd get a different gun. Kahr .40 or Walther PPS.

5. Tetelestai

Tetelestai New Member

I carry my 23 at about 3:30 in a Crossbreed supertuck. It is really comfy to carry. I won't say you forget it's there, but I don't have any problems wearing it all day long.

6. Glockpotion23

Glockpotion23 New Member

I agree, i also carry a G23 and i carry right around the 3:30 position; in a tommytheis holster. Just like you said, its comfy but i couldnt forget its there. The 4:00-4:30 area is really nice but it prints alot more if you bend over.

7. Dustin860

Dustin860 New Member

Like what's been said get a crossbreed or theis and it will change your situation instantly.

8. frontsightarmory

frontsightarmory New Member

I use a few different holsters depending on what or were I'm going and wearing. It definately takes trying different options to see what works best. For me the belt holster is for sure the most comfortable and easiest to draw. It just isn't as concealable. I wear it in the winter with my H&K USP .40 Compact, I also carry that weapon in an IWB holster not as comfortable for all day wear but hidden more easily with an untucked shirt. Summer time shorts and tee is a left handed IWB moved to the small of the back with a SA XD .40 subcompact. Very well hidden with just a tee shirt. Just clip it on my shorts as I exit the truck put in the crack between the seats when I'm driving. Best advise try out different styles and see what works best for you. Good luck:)

9. kobel1up

kobel1up New Member

Now if it worked these are pics of how I carry, cross draw and on my hip. Both conceal well. I carry my sig p239 and Kimber pro carry the in the same holster. ( not at same time) my sig is close in size to a g23, the sig is just a little thinner because it is a single stack mag.

Attached Files:

10. elglockeroloko30

I'm very sory for my ignorance but how clock positions relate to carrying positions? (Im new in this!)

11. bkt_tater

bkt_tater New Member

I'm sure you've heard somebody make the statement "cover my 6" haven't you? Now that usually means "cover my a$$. So in regards to your question 12 is a belly button, 3 is right hip, 6 is back, and 9 is left hip. Does that help?

12. BlueTurf

BlueTurf New Member

My Colt 1911 fits in the front pocket of my denim pants very well and is not uncomfortable to carry. The front pocket of my jeans is also a very convenient place to have my gun.

13. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

With a Remora holster you can basically position
    firearm anywhere on you, as it does not move or
    slide. I tought it was virtually impossible to carry
    in Puerto Rico?
    :confused:

14. elglockeroloko30

You are right PanBaccha: first you need to get a "posession" liscence +- target shooting liscence (not the same). If you have only posession licence you can only own 2 weapons and go to the range once a year which is non sense. With target shooting license you cando preety much whatever you want exept carrying. That will cost about 400$ and 4 month wait. For the carrying licence you need to pay about 1000$ and takes about 1 month wait. You need to get 3 witnesses and go before a judge (with the 3 witnesses) on a date court sets and convince the judge why do you need to carry a gun. Many times he will speak to you as if you are a gangmember or somethig like it. When you finaly get the licsense it is likely that you will get in trouble if the gun is 100% concealed. A collegue of mine use to carry a .45(not sure about the model) went into a bank and someone noticed the bulk. Ended handcuffed on the ground before any questions asked. No charges were pressed but who wants that experience? I think law say something about banks but if u leave the gun in the car and get robbed then u are in trouble and probably loose your liscence. The same can happen anywere someone notice the gun. Im not even going to speak what happens if you use the gun deffending your life. Im only going to say that you better pray that that day never come as most times law will favor the bad guy. Its just ridiculous! A retired cop who gave the 3 hour course required when u get your liscense said "it is better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6" That reasoning is why i still decided to carry. Anyone who knows puertorican law feel free to correct me (or support me as well).

15. elglockeroloko30

I meant not 100% concealed.

16. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

Looks more and more to me like a money-feeding frenzy
    that goes on in Puerto Rico if someone wants to own a
    firearm, in that he has to fill the pockets of everyone with
    an outrageous sum of money just to have the protection of
    a firearm. And the crime there is ever-increasing.

(I went to Puerto Rico just to see how it was back in '91.
    I went with the intention of staying for a couple of days and
    wind up staying for 3 years it was so beautiful).

17. elglockeroloko30

Agree 100%. Where did you stay back in 91?

18. bigbomar4

bigbomar4 New Member

Staight ahead is 12:00 right side 3:00 middle of the back 6:00 left side 9:00. I am a lefty so I carry my LC9 in a Tommy Thies holster at about 8:00-8:15. With a good gun belt I do forget it is there sometimes.

19. bkt_tater

bkt_tater New Member

Yeah, that's the same thing I said.

I have a LCP. I usually forget all about mine. It has almost got me in trouble a couple times.