is there a benifit to clean brass?

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by lonewolf101, Sep 6, 2011.

1. lonewolf101

lonewolf101 New Member

do I really need a tumbler to clean the rifle brass?.

2. Jay

Jay New Member

Nope, you can clean it other ways, but I'd at least wipe it down. I fail to see any reason to chance introducing grit, or material embedded in the brass into the chamber of an expensive firearm, or contaminates into the powder.

I use a tumbler, but that's just me. Whatever works for ya.

3. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Clean brass is less likely to scratch your dies. It is mucbh easier to inspect for cracks and other damages. A tumbler is not an absolute must, but is makes the process much easier.

4. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

You won't get gigged with demerits for having dirty brass when the Drill Sergent comes through for inspection. :D Other than that, not so much! ;)

5. TheOldMan

TheOldMan New Member

Tumblers and media are not that expensive. Maybe I'm anal but I prefer my brass clean before reloading. Easier to run through the dies and inspect for defects...

Just my .02

6. 1982flh80

1982flh80 New Member

Clean brass happy firearm

I tumble mine. Works slick through the weapons action and looks neat besides. You definetly need to remove case lube from your brass, especially inside the case neck. Don't want to contaminate powder.

7. lonewolf101

lonewolf101 New Member

ok thanks - I'l just put it on HOLD for awhile and buy the two guns I want.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2011
  8. Shotermcgavin

Shotermcgavin New Member

Clean brass is happy brass.

Having clean brass can aid in extraction, you can inspect it easier to see if you have any that are getting ready to fail.

I look at it like this. Why would you want to put dirty nasty brass in your nice clean chamber? Kind of like putting dirty gas in your car.

9. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

try Midsouth Shooters Supply. i bought a tumbler and media for less than $40 bucks. the brand is Smart Reloader SR787 and about 6lbs of corncob media. i agree with the others, not absolutely needed, but does help you clean your brass easier and more effectively. i just load mine in the tumbler and let it go for a couple of hours and do other reloading steps while i'm waiting. just a suggestion if you want to check it out. i am glad i added it to my reloading equipment.

10. lonewolf101

lonewolf101 New Member

I'l check it out thanks

11. JonM

JonM Moderator

traditional tumbler and media is the easiest method. doesnt get it the prettiest but it gets rid of the grit that can jam or damage expensive dies and rifles.

12. Durangokid

Durangokid New Member

Harbor Freight has viberators tumblers and medi.:)

13. lonewolf101

lonewolf101 New Member

I was looking at that a few weeks ago it's small and cheap looking I guess when I need one I'l buy one that has a big bowl for all my brass.

14. Axxe55

i've had my tumbler for about six months now, i can put about 100 pistol cases or about 50 rifle cases in it. i have had very good luck with mine and for what i spent, even it quit tomorrow i would buy another. i bought mine from MidSouth Shooters Supply. they are an excellent source for all items for reloading, and the prices are reasonable and the shipping is quick. try them out.

15. hmann

hmann New Member

I always tumble brass before reloading. Mainly to remove crud from inside of the case and clean the outside. From what I garnered from various articles, it is best to have uniform capacity within a case and cleaning helps remove residue from earlier firings that could send other "gunk" down the bore leading to pre-mature wear. I like the outside clean to avoid possible damage to the resizing dies and chambers as noted by JonM. In addition, I invested in the Hornady sonic cleaners (note plural) to really clean the interior of the cases after de-priming. They work great and almost get the brass to new condition (say 70%). This is liquid cleaning and I do it about once for every three times I use the brass. I bought my own pyrex dishes and dry brass in oven at 175 degrees F for about 1-2 hours. Very important not to use your wife's pyrex!. If I had more time, I'd do it more frequently. All in all, there is little downside to cleaning the brass and alot of benefit. I use Lyman tumbers (note plural) a Magnum 2500 for big batches and the smaller one as needed. I always use the Lyman greenish media with a dose of Dillon Precision liquid brass cleaner. I'm sure there are other brands that are effective as well. Good luck.

16. Axxe55

hmann, where did you find the sonic cleaners at and how much are they? do they work better than the tumblers? is there any advantage of the sonic cleaner over the tumbler cleaners? just curious, as have not really heard a lot about the sonic cleaners to make an informed decision. just trying to get a little information. thanks.

17. lonewolf101

lonewolf101 New Member

does anyone have a dillon tumbler and how is it

18. hmann

hmann New Member

Sonic Cleaners vs Tumbling

Sonic cleaners can be found at Cabelas, Midway USA, Natchez Shooting Supply and I'm sure others. Without a doubt they clean better than tumblers, especially the interior of the case and primer pockets. My personal experience has been with the Hornady Lock-N-Load Sonic Cleaner #043350 (you can get for about $99) and the Magnum Sonic Cleaner #043340 (usually around $250-$270). You also need the One Shot Sonic Clean Solution Cartridge Case Formula #043355 that use to be around $18-$20. One quart goes a long way, expecially if you reuse your solution. LYman also makes a sonic cleaning unit but I"m not familiar with it. The Lock-N-Load Sonic Cleaner unit ( #043350) will only run a maximum of 8 minutes if I remember right so you have to go back to the unit every 8 minutes and reset it to run. I usually do 24 minutes of cleaning. It will hold up to 308 size cases comfortably. I bought the magnum unit because it is deeper and it will run 40 minute cycles. I actually think the smaller unit cleans better (ie three 8 minute cycles vs a single 40 minute cycle, but that could be my imagination). The smaller unit has a plastic basket whereas the magnum unit has a metal wire mesh basket. Be careful if you clean nickel plated brass, the metal wire mesh basket will discolor nickel severely where it makes surface contact with the brass. Also, in general, the sonic cleaning discolors nickel but that appears to be a cosmetic thing. The only disadvantage to the sonic cleaners is you need to factor in time to dry the cases before reloading. My process is I first tumble brass, then resize/deprime, trim to length, ream case mouths, roughly hit the primer pocket if I have time, then sonic clean. End product their is nearly like new brass ready to go.

19. morayman

morayman New Member

I use a sonic cleaner,a cheap one I got on e-Bay.It works great.It's not real big ,but I only do pistol cartridges in it anyway.I make my own cleaning solution and it works good also.It doesn't take long to clean a bunch of cases and they come out looking like new.morayman..........

20. hmann

hmann New Member

Morayman,
    Can you share your recipe for making your own cleaning solution?????????