Is the Sigma really THAT bad?

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by Kain, Oct 9, 2009.

1. Kain

Kain Member

I've been wanting a Smith & Wesson M&P9 for a while now. But it seems like I can never save much more than $300 before something else comes up and destroys my stash. I liked the Sigma too. (that's how I came to the M&P as when I went to look at a Sigma, the guy at the gun shop said what I really wanted was an M&P and he seemed right) The only real problem that I've heard about the Sigma is the poor trigger. My question is: is it really so bad? I want something other than my pair of .22s but I can't seem to get together the cash for the M&P and I really did like the feel of the Sigma (never have found a range that rents one) Will I greatly regret getting a Sigma or should I keep trying to save up the nearly $600 for the M&P?

2. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

I am by far no expert, but I do own a Sigma in .357sig and absolutely love this Pistol. I have not had one problem with it. Feels good in my hand and shoots good. I say go for it.
    [​IMG]

3. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

I've read than you can send the sigma in for a trigger job from S&W, free, they even pay the shipping. I've read, but not verified since I do not own a sigma.

4. greenjeans

greenjeans New Member

Good pistol and the trigger is not that bad. Like a double action revolver. I've had my 9 mm for several years and never a problem. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one. Great deal on them right now, also. S&W has a rebate going on for $50.

5. NGIB

NGIB New Member

If you can put up with the ghastly trigger it's a reliable gun. Just be sure to understand going in that the resale value on Sigma's is next to nill so be sure you want one.

Yes, I've owned a couple and I've done the home trigger job - but it still was not really good. If you go this route, the 9mm version holds it's value a bit better than the .40 version...

Last edited: Oct 9, 2009
  6. kodiak1973

kodiak1973 New Member

I owned a Sigma 9mm and got rid of it very quickly. I now own a M&P 9 and absolutely love it. I could not get past the trigger on the Sigma. I also had a couple of issues with it jamming. Overall, if you absolutely can't afford the M&P, then the Sigma is better than nothing. If at all possible, hold out and get an M&P. Check out Bud's Gun Shop for good pricing.

7. AsmelEduardo

AsmelEduardo New Member

You also might consider a Ruger P95... about the same price tag of the Sigma... just saying...

8. General_lee

General_lee New Member

I own the Sigma in .40S&W, It was the first pistol I ever bought and I love it.
    It's reliable, comfortable and fairly accurate. The trigger pull is hard but it really doesn't bother me.

9. dirtysouth

dirtysouth New Member

I have owned the both new and old generation sigmas and they are ok guns for the price and yes you can send them to S&W for trigger work. If your buying a pistol to buy a pistol then why not but if you truly want that other gun save up till you get it do what i do put it on layway and just keep paying on it till its mine mine mine

10. user4

user4 New Member

I'm not a fan of the Sigma in .40. It hurts your hand and has more kick than any .45 I've shot. It's not very accurate if you enjoy precision shooting (i.e. hitting what you are aiming at)

My .02

11. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Most, if not all, $250 -$300 9mm's and .40's aren't accurate at all, they have terrible triggers, and sometimes they aren't reliable.......except SgtMiller's hi-point, ofcourse. :D

12. WDB

WDB New Member

The Sigma and the M&P are night and day. Get some displine and save up for the pistol you want. The M&P has a far better trigger and hits what you aim it at. The recoil seems lighter, easy to get back on target for shot 2,3,4 ect and the grip is better IMHO. Suck it up and manage your $, the pistol you own my someday save your life. Bet you can find a M&P for about $500 new after the $50 rebate. Not a lot of these on the used market but they do show up. Plenty if used Sigmas on the used market, that should tell you something right there.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2009
  13. Kain

Kain Member

I guess I should have not assumed everyone knows what I'm thinking...

If I get a Sigma it will not be in lieu of a M&P. I'll still get the M&P, I'd just be getting the Sigma in the mean time. The reason I like the Sigma is it's small size so if I ever decide to carry concealed it's a bit more managable than a full size M&P. I was really more asking if I buy a Sigma will I regret it? I'll likely try to find a used one so the extra money can stay in the "buy the blasted M&P already" fund. I'm just sick of having only my .22s to shoot at the range and renting pistols there is too expensive ($5 gun rental, $20 for 50 rds of ammo, $10 range fee, and $1.75/ea. for targets)

14. fxstchewy

fxstchewy New Member

My 40VE is three years old and has approx 800+ rounds through it and works fine, the trigger is stiff but IMO a non-issue, about the same as a DA revolver.

15. bradyman1

bradyman1 New Member

Try the Ruger P95. I got that and I really like it. I held a sigma and I did not like the trigger at all. I don't think it has a saftey either, and with a first real handgun that might be something that you would want. I am glad I got my ruger.

Disclaimer
    I know very little about handguns, but i like my P95.

Jason

16. SGT-MILLER

SGT-MILLER New Member

The Sigma series handgun is the poor man's Glock. If you purchase one, call the folks at S&W, and they can give you a good deal on fixing the notorious heavy trigger pull.

Double check this, but I believe there is a 50 dollar rebate for purchasing a Sigma (it may be limited time only).

Take care of these pistols properly, and they will treat you well. They are of a good design, and are accurate at all common defensive ranges (7, 10, 15, 25 yards).

17. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

The poor man's Glock with a MUCH better grip design. Right handed or left handed they feel better. Yes the trigger is attrocious if you are used to a nice crisp 4# 1911 trigger. Like stated earlier, the trigger is more like a DA revolver. It was designed to ease transition for LEO's from DA revolvers to autos.

I believe the Afgan Police are getting Sigmas in 9mm.

18. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

So you'll be saving 5 dollars each visit. Buy the Sigma and enjoy it.

19. Kain

Kain Member

Well, looks like I won't be getting anything for a while. The lawyers are pressing me too hard lately, so my $500 "gun" stash is being raided to pay for my bankrupcy. Back to $0...again.

20. dirtysouth

dirtysouth New Member

Sorry to hear that. When its time for you to buy a weapon the money will be there keep the faith and keep your head up