Is the sig mosquito any good? or should I get other?

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by froggyjf, Dec 14, 2009.

1. froggyjf

froggyjf New Member

Hey I've been looking at getting a semi auto 22lr, but not sure what to get. I was going with the Mosquito, but was reading some reviews and heard that they didn't shoot cheap ammo very well. is this still true, or have the "fixed" that in the newer ones?

What other options do I have. I've read a little about the ruger mark II and ....the one browning has out.

I'm trying to stay 200-350, 400 at the most.
    I also read that u had to keep the mosquito clean and oiled well. How reliable is it when its "dirty"(I don't mean I don't clean my guns, but I hunt in the marsh: lots of mud and water ect...)
    What would you recommend as a gun that would be reliable!!!(even in harsh conditions), accurate, not be ammo picky, and not break the bank.

Thanks, Francis

2. junho806

junho806 New Member

i've handed it before and its not bad
    but if you're looking for a 22LR i would go with a Mark II/III
    much more accurate and reliable
    kind of a pain to disassemble but thats about the only bad thing
    but in the end you should try shooting both first
    but i would get the Mark

3. froggyjf

froggyjf New Member

Thanks, I just read some more, and looked at the price's and I thank I'm going to go with the III.
    Thanks again.

4. junho806

junho806 New Member

the Mark III does have that annoying magazine safety
    if you find a Mark II i would get that

5. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

A Browning Buckmark is not a bad choice either. :)

6. kdog

kdog New Member

I`ve shot the Mosquito a few times and don`t like it.
    The grip is to small.
    The trigger sucks (far to much trigger travel and kind of mushy)
    Is picky on ammo.

Even if it sound like a repeating record, but try the CZ75 Kadet.
    You can also take a regular CZ75 in 9mm and get a Kadet system in addition.
    That way you have a normal trigger and a very good and durable pistol.
    And yiu get it fairly cheap.

7. NGIB

NGIB New Member

My son has a Mosquito and my wife has a Walther P22. Both of ours are fun to shoot and reliable - but neither is a target quality gun. If you want a .22 that looks and feels like a "duty" gun, check out the Sig P series .22s. I have a P220 SAO and it's very accurate and reliable. They make them in the P220, P226, and P229 incarnations and they go for roughly $400...

8. MB44

MB44 New Member

I got a Mosquito, and I love it. I bought it in order to be able to get some serious range time, as ammo down here is expensive (more than in the US....) It has of course got the SIG feel to it, so there are some similarities between the Mosquito and my P250. You just gotta be sure to lube the ammo otherwise you're going to experience a lot of FTF. I guess this is common for a lot .22LR pistols

Can't say much about the other suggestions (I never tried to shoot them), except that I see people use them a lot, so I am sure they are good guns as well.

I am pretty much in favor of choosing guns by how they "feel", If it feels right, then it is probably the right gun for you. Obviously you should try other guns as well in order to be able to compare

9. Bohica6-284

Bohica6-284 New Member

The Sig is nice if you want a "combat" feel .22 pistol. If your just looking for some range fun and a little target shooting, maybe even a little small game hunting...try the Browning Buckmark in a 5.5" barrel. They usually have adj. target sights and are extremely reliable with any plated ammo cheap or not. They are also better balanced than the Sig. Mine really does well with the bulk Remington ammo. I also have a Walther P22 and have owned Ruger MKII, I still like my Buckmarks more. They are well within your price range even with upgrades.

10. Highpower

Highpower New Member

Mine doesn't.... :p

[​IMG] [​IMG]

11. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Nor does mine, no loaded chamber indicator either...

12. Wings-ofthe-Luftwaffe

Wings-ofthe-Luftwaffe New Member

ruger P4 mark 3 can be had from jg sales for about 250 plus S&H and ffl transfer and with the kind, loving hand of a proper gun smith that pesky mag safety and even the one in the chamber indicator can be removed and BAM! your at the range with your 550 rounds of .22 lr for $11.97 shooting ACCURATELY and having FUN ALLLL DAAY!

13. tom777

tom777 New Member

I have a skeeter and am pretty happy with it. It can be a little finicky on the ammo. Might be my imagination (I haven't actually kept records to be sure..), but it seems like it might have fewer feed/eject issue with the lighter/faster 36gr ammo compared with the 40gr. Could be wrong on that too.. Either way, now that I've got about 1000 rounds through it it, reliability seems improved.

14. MemphisJim1

MemphisJim1 New Member

I have a Ruger MkII 22/45 and two Mosquitos. By far, the Mk II is the most accurate .22LR semi I own. I have a red dot on it and can shoot extremely tight groups with it. I bought the first Skeeter, a Sport, three years ago as a muscle memory and low-cost shooting trainer. My first range session was with bulk ammo and I experienced all the bad things one hears about the Skeeter: failures to feed, fire and extract. It was extremely frustrating. I then went on-line, discovered the SigForum and its extensive thread on the pistol. The basic advice: break it in with CCI MiniMags (just like the factory sticker says), use the white spring, and keep it clean and well lubricated. Voila, subsequent range sessions became fun again. Two years ago a local gun shop called to advise a dissatisfied buyer had traded his back in for something else and they asked if I'd care to take it off their hands -- cheap. I discovered the original buyer had never even cleaned it out-of-the box, left the "heavy" spring in it and must have shot cheap bulk stuff (judging by the powder residue in it). I just repeated the steps done previously with the Sport and it's an absolute delight to shoot, too. Both now have many thousands of rounds through them, happily eat most any high velocity ammo brand I put through them and are completely trouble-free. While I love my MkII, the Skeeters are much easier to break down, clean and (most importantly) reassemble.

15. NGIB

NGIB New Member

I have no idea what gun this is. I'll assume you're talking about the poly framed 22/45...

16. Wings-ofthe-Luftwaffe

Wings-ofthe-Luftwaffe New Member

Yes, the Ruger P4 mark 3 is the short barrel poly framed equivalent of the 22/45. it has the 4 inch bull barrel instead of the longer. I promise it exists :p im looking at one right now :-D

17. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

The Mosquito does have a fairly short grip. The D/A trigger is comparable to the D/A trigger of the center fire Sigs. I have only worked on one. The muzzle brake screw had wallowed out the recess on the barrel and was loose. Simple fix.

The Ruger rimfires are very good guns with little to complain about.

I have a S&W 22A that is very accurate and has never given me a bit of trouble. It looks kind of ugly. The black metal finish looks like spray paint and the plastic grips have no character. It works. 10 shot 30 ft groups you can cover with a dime.

I hear good things about the Brownings and the old High Standards are timeless. The Smith M-41 is the accuracy standard.

You can spend anywhere from $200 - $1000 depending on what you are looking for. The $200 pistol may be a dream and the $1000 pistol may be a finicky primadonna.

18. 995

995 New Member

Ruger 22/45 is a nice shooter

19. Mr. Bluesky

Mr. Bluesky New Member

What magazine safety?

I love my Mark III. A lot. You're making an awesome choice.

20. junho806

junho806 New Member

nice!
    need to get that when i eventually buy one
    :D