Is the ford ranger a good truck?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by hq357, Mar 5, 2013.

1. hq357

hq357 New Member

This question is for ford ranger truck owners. if you have a ford ranger please tell me your review and what you think of it post a pic if you can! Also what year and how many miles and what repairs did you need to do?

2. deadsp0t

deadsp0t New Member

Had a 2001 extended cab 4x4 4.0L 5spd, right around 100k the slave cylinder for the clutch went bad.. Cost close to 1k to replace the clutch etc including labor, shortly after it failed again.. Sold the truck like that.

Advice, in that year range get the 4.0L not the 3.0L. The 3.0L is down on power and the MPG suffers. I'd also suggest getting an auto based on my personal exp.

3. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

I has a 1992 standard cab, 4X4. One of the best vehicles I've owned. The only reason I traded it was I need a bigger truck to pull my trailer.

4. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Ford makes a gun?

5. deadsp0t

deadsp0t New Member

lmmfao......!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. Mick3411

Mick3411 New Member

Had a 99 ranger 4x4 which I just traded in. It had 230K miles and was an excellent truck. I wanted to get a new one, but they dont make them anymore.

7. BUCKSLAYERR78

BUCKSLAYERR78 New Member

Got a 98 ford ranger with 198,000+ miles and other than the little repair here and there as with any truck with that mileage, it has been great to me. I love the old girl and god willing I don't see myself replacing it for a long time. Highly recommend one.

8. trip286

trip286 New Member

Had an '87 with the 2.9 Cologne V6, one of the worst engines Ford ever used. I got it at around 350k miles I think. I made it to around 440 before I had to let it go.

It was a 4x4, touch drive. Had the transfer selector buttons on the ceiling.

Warning: the 2.9 cannot be successfully rebuilt and expected to last. Once you do a ring job, it'll only last about a year. The alloy used in the block won't hold it.

It was an okay little truck, but in the few years I owned it, it cost me around 4k in repairs just to keep it on the road.

You'd probably get better insight if you'd give us a year and specs of a particular vehicle your looking at.

9. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

My fil has a 94 single cab 5 speed and his wife drives a 2001 supercab V6 auto. Ive seen the 94, the grey bomb as we call it, haul more wood than id haul on my F150 and drive like its empty. He's still on the original engine with 260,000+ miles but on the second transmission and 3rd clutch. His doesnt have power steering and has hand crank windows, plain jane truck. Ive seen him stack 3 rick of firewood in the back all day and sometimes pulls a 16 foot trailer with ease. Basically he abuses this truck and it shouldve died a long time ago but he still drives it almost daily.

10. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

I borrowed one of those from my fil, it was an extra truck he took on a trade from a guy he knew. I drove it for about a month because the tranny in my 97 dakota bit the dust. I was doing construction at the time and just needed a beater truck to haul my tools around the county. That damn thing left me stranded 3 out of 5 days. It sat in the woods for 3 years before he got it so some of the wiring was corroded and falling apart. We ran a hot wire from the fuze box to the fuel pump because it kept dieing. When you locked in the 4x4 you could hear the front diff banging around. The brakes actually went totally out on me one day while i was driving approaching a stoplight, scared the sh** outta me but i downshifted all the way to 1st from 5th and turned the key off on the shoulder. It was a total turd. We shoved it onto a 16' trailer last summer with a tractor and sold it for scrap.

11. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

Bought a 92 new (My first new vehicle ever.) 4.0L, 5 speed, 2wd, Super Cab. For what it was it was extremely good. Never any problems. I put 48,000 miles on it. I liked the powertrain so much, I traded it for a 94 Explorer (mechanically, essentially the same vehicle.)
    I've had good luck with Fords.

12. orangello

orangello New Member

You couldn't pay me to take one any further than another lot to trade it, but my mechanic brother-in-law and both his sons have them or have had them. There is one 87 or 88 model that my sister now has as a yard work truck for light fetch-n-carry that started out with one BIL, was sold to another BIL for a shop truck, and was then given to a nephew for cheap transportation (who later gave it to the sister, his aunt, after being replaced by another newer ranger).

Apparently, some of them are some damn fine little trucks, reliability-wise.

13. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

Im not sure about the newer 4-cyl models but i know the ones like my fil's 4-cyl have 8 spark plugs. I almost bought a brand spanking new 4-cyl ranger in 03 when i was still in high school. At the time our local dealer was running a special, 4-cyl reg cab, 5 speed 2x4 for 10,900.

14. gearhead396

gearhead396 New Member

Which model and year you looking at? I've owned the four cylinder base model 2000 and it ran great never had to do much except except Pm. Then later after it was just a beach truck flooded it out twice and after letting everything dry out new plugs and getting the water outta the cylinders starred and ran for another year then through a rod made it 189000

15. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I had a 92 Explorer. It is the same drive train. What a piece of crap! The A4LD transmission is terrible. I was pulling a 12 foot camper up a hill. I had the towing package. It started rolling backwards down the hill. My brother still has a Ranger. Not sure what year. But his is an auto as well. He has had to have the transmission rebuilt too. Parts are also expensive. When I sold that 92 Explorer in 2004 I bought an 82 Chevy Blazer. I am still driving it. I am a very good mechanic. I can really keep a truck on the road. I will not touch that drive train again.

16. AsmelEduardo

AsmelEduardo New Member

Back when I worked in the limestone quarry, we had a 2002 crew-cab 4.0 auto trans 4x4... I love it, we used and abused that poor truck, I still miss her...

17. orangello

orangello New Member

I had a 1991 Ford Exploder, two door, basic and stripped for reliability. LOL! I replaced near everything on that truck except the engine (4L V6). I had the 5 speed manual transmission, then it was 4 speed for a while, then it was fixed.

18. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

My biggest thing with mid-90's Fords are those horrible rubber pins that hold the brakes on... Really?? One of the most important systems on a auto and you have rubber pins holding them on???

I had a '94 Exploder, the brakes were always locking up, I had to constantly check them to make sure the pins werent backing out... The last time I drove it the brakes on one side locked up and it flipped......

Another "modern" vehicle that confirms my belief of the superiority of the International Harvester......

19. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

My brother had an early 90's 4cyl that he put around a quarter million miles on. No repairs other than normal wear and tear.

20. Ruger52

Ruger52 New Member

I had a 2001 FX4 4.0 auto transmission. I put 125,000, on it without any repairs just normal maintanence. It was a great little truck for 4X4ing in the mountains and desert. I pulled a 16 foot pop up camper with it. But when I bought my fiver I had to upgrade to a F250 turbo diesel.