Is the 380 Losing Popularity?

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by Olympus, Jul 15, 2013.

1. Olympus

Olympus New Member

Considering that the 380 has a belief by many to be marginally acceptable for a defensive caliber, is the caliber losing popularity?

What about when you start considering all of the new offerings that are very close to the size of a 380, but are being chambered in 9mm? If given the choice between the same size gun in 380 and 9mm, is there any reason or benefit that someone would willingly choose the 380 over the 9mm?

2. deadsp0t

deadsp0t New Member

Personally I would choose the 9mm, the ammo seems to be more available.
    The caliber is also available in more platforms(which is irrelevant to the question but relevant to my choice).

3. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I believe the .380 is alive and well and thriving. I have a .380 and I know many who have and carry the Ruger LCP. I have no trouble finding .380 ammo.............when I can find any ammo at all. :(

4. deadsp0t

deadsp0t New Member

Seems there's always been a premium on .380 ammo :confused:
    I agree it's alive and well though.

5. flybuddy

flybuddy New Member

Same here--I've got several friends carrying the Ruger LCP and some with the similar Kel-tec in .380. I would have preferred the 9mm BUT it is approx 1" longer, a bit wider and much heavier (17 oz. vs 9 oz,). I went with the LCP since you gives you a bunch more options on how to carry as well as comfort.

6. JW357

JW357 New Member

I'm not sure if it IS losing popularity as much as it SHOULD. My reasoning is because of the size issue, as you said there are many new 9s of similar size. Either people will eventually stop carrying the 380 in favor of a 9, or gun manufacturers need to start making even smaller 380s, if the trend in small sized 9s continues.

Just my opinion if course.

7. orangello

orangello New Member

Some people might need the reduced recoil of the .380acp in a comparison of same-sized 9mm pistols.

I was under the impression that weird gun control legislation in central/south America guaranteed the continued existence of .380acp and 9mm Makarov by limiting "citizens" to non-military sized ammo. Anybody know the real deal on that?

8. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

It's beyond trend as I see it; more like commited to the 'realm of practicality.' :)

9. JW357

JW357 New Member

I've heard something about those terrible things coming out of England and other European countries. But I can't confirm it.

10. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Mexico has something about citizens and military calibers.
    That is why the .38 Super is so popular there.

The .380 ACP is not the best "man-stopper", but has filled the niche mainly because of the low cost of firearms chambered for it.

A hit with a .380 is better than a miss with a .44 Magnum.

11. JonM

JonM Moderator

i dont see its popularity winding down at all. there is nothing as small and light as a ruger lcp that works even as a quarter as well. mine i use for pocket and its small enough it looks like a cellphone.

anything even slightly bigger and its obviously a gun in the pocket.

now when i can OWB carry i carry a 9mm or 45acp. but the little ruger lcp lets me never violate the first mandate of self defense.

HAVE A GUN!!

12. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

We can debate the demise of the .380 acp ( 9X17 or 9mm Kurz), but it isn't going anywhere! If anything, the offerings in this caliber will expand IMHO, because I have a micro .380 and an LC9, I would not want to handle the recoil and snap of a 9mm(9mm NATO, or 9MM Luger) in the LCP size package!

13. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

The more 9mm pocket gnus made the more the 380 will lose traction. It's not a smack at the round really. But to get better ballistics form less expensive ammo i shard to ignore. Not to mentionm many have other 9mm so it's just one less caliber to stock.

I like the 380 though. But will admit to not seeing a need for one after getting a small 9mm.

14. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I will hang on to my Sig P238. It hides better than my Shield. I did look at the P938 but it was twice the money of the Shield plus the cost of the 7 round mags. Biggest problem with the 380 is the ammo. Most of the HP's expand too much and limit penetration.

15. OldEagleEars

OldEagleEars New Member

I originally picked a .380 as a carry-gun (S&W Bodyguard) because of it's size and superior concealability. While I don't totally regret the decision, I have taken to carrying a larger caliber for times I know I may be in a place of greater potential peril. I know that the .380 can be an effective close-quarters weapon and amazingly accurate in sight-shooting because it proved itself so in an advanced-carry course I took. What puzzles me it the paucity of .380 ammo anywhere! It's even rarer than .22 LR in the stores around here though they did have fifty-boxes at my local Cabelas a couple of weeks ago. No body seems to know why this is so (except the guy who thinks the ships from AAltazon have taken it all so we can't shoot back when they aim their Death-Ray at us!). 'Tis a puzzlement...

16. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

Never was impressed by the 9 mm Kurz !...............

17. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Are you kidding? I paid more for my Sig P238 than any other gun in my small collection. :cool:

18. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

The .380 ACP was invented in 1908 by John Browning. The .380 has served as a military round and issued by police Depts. all over the world.
    The .380 ACP is more popular than ever before. Where is there any evidence that people who choose to carry the .380 have been out gunned by the bad guys? :confused:

19. thatonespot

thatonespot New Member

I agree with most of the people here, the 380 has been a good round for years, and will continue to be a good round in future years. The second smoothest shooting handgun I've
    ever had the honor of shooting was a .380 Bersa.

20. bartwatkins

bartwatkins Member

My next pistol will be a Sig P238 (.380)
    I am looking for a carry gun for my wife. Size of gun, therefore, is an issue. I need a very compact or micro-compact sized gun.
    Yes, there are several options for the same sized pistols in 9mm
    While my wife enjoys shooting my full sized 9mm pistols (Hi Power & DW Commander 1911), I do not think that she will enjoy shooting a 9mm in a sub-compact pistol size.
    I want her to enjoy range shooting (practicing and training with) whatever pistol that she gets. If she does not enjoy shooting it then she will never feel comfortable carrying it.

Anyway, that is my logic or reasoning for willingly choosing the .380 over the 9mm in same sized gun (in this instance).