Is the .22mag going away?

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by northhike, Sep 9, 2010.

1. northhike

northhike New Member

This topic may have been covered in another post so I apologize if its redundant....

Finding a .22mag gun these days seems to be getting tougher and tougher. The .17HMR seems to be more prevelant and I am seeing a migration back to the .22LR. Are you guys seeing the same thing?

2. orangello

orangello New Member

Last edited: Sep 9, 2010

3. Alchemist

Alchemist New Member

Yes, the Kel-Tec PMR30 has been released in it's first issue. I figure after they get any initial bugs out, it'll be popular and will spark renewed interest in .22 mag. It'd be nice if the ammo came down some in price.

4. billdeserthills

billdeserthills New Member

Excel has come out with both a 17 hmr & a 22 Mag auto pistol in the last couple of years, even S&W continues to produce a DA revolver in 22 Mag, & Taurus, Charter Arms & Ruger make several models in that caliber, so it's out there...

5. billdeserthills

billdeserthills New Member

Unlikely that the price is gonna come down, if re-newed interest in that ammo is shown... I'm afraid the price will go higher

6. Ram Rod

Ram Rod New Member

Well, I've really never given the 22mag much thought until recently. I tend to keep myself updated on most of the industry, the ammo, and what's available. I still see the ammo on the shelves, and the rifles in the racks, and still talk about the 22mag on the forums. Gravitation of the market, or preference really isn't much of a factor in my opinion. What i think is that the 22mag is something you pretty much started with, has a decent following, but somewhat narrow in application. Something as old as the 22mag will never go away. It may see more shade than sun these days. Thing is, cost of ammo. New calibers seemed to have sprung up almost overnight in the past few years. Lots of them in centerfire as well. Thing is...they're finding a niche somehow, and mainly because of the marketing and the 'got to have what's new' and what's hot mentality. I'm not trying to ruffle any feathers nor elicit arguments. It's just the way I see the industry and market over being involved in it for over 20 years. I don't know of many cartridges that have become totally obsolete. Granted, some may be hard to find and at premium prices (why reloading pays off for centerfire). As far as the rimfires, the tried and true will always be alive and well. Who cares what a 17HMR can do if you already have a 22mag? Why get into the cost of a new rifle and new ammo? Ruger puts out some of the best rifles in my opinion for the 22 caliber. There should be plenty available in the 22mag. If it seems more difficult to find a 22mag rifle where you are, then maybe it's the local market. Wal Mart has them here. Gun shops have them here. You might very well find a jewel in a local pawn shop these days. Well, anyway...back to why I'd been seriously thinking of the 22mag recently.........my wife has this H.Schmidt model 21 SA revolver that I just finished fixing. I have learned that some models had an interchangeable barrel/cylinder since I ordered the parts through Numrich, and then went on to look it all up on the internet. I'd really like to have the capability of the 22mag with this revolver. Even thought the 22lr may be the most economical choice these days, some of us still have the need to diversify for certain reasons. Your 22mag is out there, I'll almost guarantee it.

7. Alchemist

Alchemist New Member

I hear you about the price... Some people have suggested that a little higher-performance .22 magnum round could be developed... I'm predicting MORE interest in it in the future, not less... Perhaps 5.7X28mm also. A nice smaller/cheaper pistol similar to the FNH 5.7 could become popular among people who are recoil-sensitive. There's a new market of first-time CCW buyers out there... (The LCP is nearing 500,000 sold in about 2 1/2 years)... so there's incentive for development of light easy-carry user-friendly pistols. I might have gotten a little off-track here since now I realize this is a rimfire rifle string but it's relevent anyhow... Point is, I agree that .22 magnum ain't goin' away!

8. RichardOwlMirror

RichardOwlMirror New Member

I just finished posting an article called: Should 22Mag be Taken Seriously as a Defensive Caliber?

After reading this article, my interest was piqued and I found there are MANY 22 wmr rifles available by many manufacturers,
    The least expensive is a Savage.
    Check out my post for more info.

9. mboylan

mboylan New Member

The 22 Mag is available in more loads and with more premium bullets than ever before. 22 mag rifles outnumber 17 HMR rifles by many times.

10. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

The 17hmr with it's 17gr bullet is an expensive paper puncher. Manufacturers are developing guns and cartridges to be used on ranges. They know that hunters are going to stick with the tried and true. Yes, manufacturers are still churning out hunting rifles. But their R&D is going towards giving suburbanites new toys for use at the range or small areas of land.

Manufacturers also know that hunting is a dying sport. Fewer and fewer people are hunting every year. twenty five years ago it was nothing for us to have 50 or 60 hunters show up on a Saturday to drive deer. When I moved to NC deer hunting was the number one participant sport. Now deer hunting is not even on the list. We have 35 members total to drive deer.

Young people are leaving rural areas in droves. They do not care to inherit the family farm if even if it is still profitable. Farming has become a big money, high pressure business. Farmers need more executive assistants than farm hands.

For some reason the 22mag keeps getting cut back. People might want a more robust 22mag but manufacturers keep cutting the velocity of the 22mag. I do not know if it is the use of faster burning powders to make pistol shooters happy. But the 22mag aint what it used to be.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2014
  11. TheSadPanda

TheSadPanda New Member

Zombie thread dudes.

12. Warlock999

Warlock999 New Member

i don't see the 22 Mag or the 17 HMR going away anytime soon. if they were, you wouldn't see as many of the gun manufacturers making them. that would be a very poor business decision as far as profits to make an item that was waning in popularity and not being bought by the consumers.

and quite frankly, they can keep coming out with new cartridges as much as they want to. some pique my interest and some don't. my wallet being my only limitation! i am not limited to just having to settle on one, and if i want i can actually own both. people are going to grab onto the next new fad. guns and cartridges are no different. some will last, and some won't.

what about the new rimfire the 17 WSM, or the centerfire 17 Hornet? both show promising ballistics, but only time will tell if they actually catch on and last.

13. RichardOwlMirror

RichardOwlMirror New Member

14. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Considering that this thread is 4 years old and the 22 mag is still around I have to conclude it is not going away. I have a new 93G on the way and I just received 1k rounds of CCI Chootem 22 mag 40 grain HP for $194.16 delivered which equates to $9.70 per 50 round box.

15. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

A while back the Centurion CEO was talking to the Midway CEO and mentioned he was thinking of producing a run of 5 mm mag. The Midway CEO gave him an order big enough to make it a reality and the 5mm mag was resurrected. It was probably ahead of it's time. If the gun mfgs are considering bringing rifles out again it will solidify the supply. It is a very good round.

16. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

That's 19.4 cents per shot. I can reload .223 with FMJ cheaper. I can reload .22 Hornet with cast lead bullets that duplicate, or exceed .22 Mag performance for a fourth of that.:)

17. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I know better than that. You can only push a cast bullet so fast. Primers are running about the same cost as 22LR ammo right now. You can load a POS that has about the same velocity as a 22LR but you are not going to push a 22 cal cast bullet 1.900 fps without a gas check or something. Right now you would need a bushing to use a small pistol primer to load a 22 hornet. Rifle primers are hard to come by unless you have a magnum rifle or a 50 cal bmg. I might not know jack about reloading centerfire ammo but I do hear my friends who do reload complaining about the high cost of components.

Aside of the high cost of components the supply house here in Raleigh charges 3x of the cost of reloading components online. I have asked them why they are so high in the past. Once the manager told me the online vendors do not have a brick and mortar store to maintain...That is a lie. The next reply he came up with is the online vendors are distributors that are selling to retail customers. I have never heard of a distributor that cuts their clients throats. Two members of our club run ammo distributor companies. You have to have a business license to open an account and a FFL to get the best prices. A guy that runs an FFL out of his garage has better ammo prices than any LGS in the area. He sold me my Hi Point 995TS for $250 out the door. The best price I saw in a LGS is $308 plus tax.

18. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

John Deer,Hunting may be dying in your neck of the woods but in Texas it stays alive and well with more new hunters out in the fields/woods every year.

That's true about the young people leaving family farming,and until the younger generation's see what the economic downfall they are causing by their lack of forethought this will continue. We can blame Technology,High cost of maintaining a farm,and the Government for most of these problems.

The 22 magnum will never go away. There are too many shooters that use it.
    The 17 calibers did put a dent in the 22 WMR sales,but as people have realized the shortcomings of 17 HMR,they have came back to the 22 WMR.
    The ammo price for either is about the same price,and the 22 WMR is a much better round to hunt with in almost any situation. I've never even thought about buying a 17 HMR,but have always had several 22 WMR's setting in the safe ready to go hunting with.

19. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I shot a friends 17 hmr when they first came out. The 17 hmr bucks the wind almost as good as 22 cal pellet rifle. I had no interest in buying or even shooting a 17hmr after that one day in a field. But people who do nothing but shoot off a bench at a 100 yard range are probably interested in the 17 hmr. Personally I like the 22 mag. My Marlin is picky little rifle but it is very accurate. To avoid resetting the scope I have to use an inch pound wrench to assemble the rifle after I clean it. It doesn't really make sense that removing the stock would change the point of impact.

20. mboylan

mboylan New Member

What? Small rifle primers are plentiful and cost a whopping 3 cents at today's prices. Powder is 2 cents for the Hornet and 4 cents for the 223. Cheap 224 caliber bullets run about 10 cents. Better bullets run about 18 cents.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2014