Is storing fully loaded mags hard on the springs?

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by dborns, Oct 25, 2011.

1. dborns

dborns New Member

I've always been worried that keeping my clips fully loaded is bad on the clips themselves. On my XD, I have the standard clip and the extended clip, and I don't keep them fully loaded, especially the standard clip that is my "backup" and is stored in my gun safe. My Keltech and shotgun, I'm not worried about since they are cheap guns, but in my 30 round rifle mags, I don't keep those fully loaded either.
    Am I overthinking this, or is it good to take ammo out every so often? Is there some way to exercise the springs?

The other issue I can see having is that I have no idea how much ammo i have in each gun. If I had each mag/ clip filled to capacity, I would know exactly what is in each gun.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2011
  2. 762

762 Member

if you leave them loaded for years, yeah, the springs are gonna set. as long as you rotate them out, it should be fine.

3. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

We discuss this about once a week. Last time was 2 days ago. No, springs do not go bad from being compressed. They wear out from being flexed. There was a test of a Colt 1911A1 that had been left loaded for over 50 years. Worked fine. Beware that chambering, ejecting, and rechambering a cartridge too many times can cause bullet to move back in cartridge case.

4. Poink88

Poink88 New Member

What they said and CLIPS do not have springs.

5. dborns

dborns New Member

Ok, thanks for the info!

6. canebrake

canebrake New Member

[​IMG]

XD's have clips? :confused:

Attached Files:

7. Yunus

Yunus New Member

Actually "exercising" the springs is what causes decay. There is legit science behind this, I've read it, I've posted it and I can't find it that quickly but it exists. If you really want it just ask and I'll take 5 minutes and find it. The short of it is that springs that are not pushed beyond their limits which you won't have a problem with in good manufacturer's won't be affected by being compressed. If springs are not pushed beyond their limits they do not decay or have memory over time. So a spring that is compressed or uncompressed will decay at the same rate and in fact a spring that is used (compressing and uncompressing) will wear quicker.

8. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

If you depend on that weapon, keep it loaded. If not....don't. You aren't going to hurt the springs.

9. Boyerracing343

Boyerracing343 New Member Supporter

Amen. My 45 is loaded and ready to go at all times. :cool:

10. JonM

JonM Moderator

couple months back i was digging out some boxes i had packed in 1991 right before i enlisted in the army. found a mag i had lost in the bottom of the box fully loaded 1911 230grn 45acp. it shot fine mag still works fine. it ws loaded for 20ish years.

11. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

To Cane:.....
    CLIP CLIP CLIP!!!!
    Bwahahaha. :rolleyes:

12. JonM

JonM Moderator

dont make me go get a pic of some m16 clips!!

13. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

In short,................................No! :D

14. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

I'll be experimenting on my next range trip with a 1911 mag that's been loaded for 11 years.

I loaded it as a back up and placed it in moms nightstand drawer at that time. We moved her for Spokane to Vancouver WA last month and guess what. Same mag still loaded, right where I left it.

Should be interesting.

TACK

15. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

I bet it will eat every single one of those rounds without a hitch , :D

16. RainmanK

RainmanK New Member

I've gotta say this has been one of the most personally gratifying and informative threads I've read here yet....

I used to have this debate with my brother all the time about spring compression, him saying not to leave them loaded too long, and it not quite making sense to me. So, him being the older brother, and knowing vastly more knowledgy things than me, I have bought multiple magazines for each of my weapons and rotate the loaded magazine out about once a month in each pistol wherever I have it stashed around the house.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that up until now, all my firearm knowledge and skills have come from family (big family of shooters) as well as personal experience (and mistakes). I would never have imagined how nice it would be to have a resource of like minded enthusiasts to pool info with.

Alright, that's my sappy post for the month, let's hug it out and get back to shootin' stuff...

17. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Is this where we all hold hands, and sing Kum-bi-yah? :p

18. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Can we roast marshmallows too!! :)

19. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

I have a novak 8- round blued steel mag with plastic base plate for my 1911, it has been loaded with 8-rounds since i bought the pistol. I bought it in 04'. It feeds rounds and functions perfectly, the spring feels brand new