Is shooting revolvers the same as shooting semi auto pistols?

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by hq357, Jul 20, 2013.

1. hq357

hq357 New Member

I would like to purchase a 22lr pistol to practice with my accuracy but i want a 22lr revolver. i have semi autos in 9mm 40, and 45. Ammo is pretty expensive i want to keep my skills in tune. So i want the 22 lr revolver over a semi auto 22 because bulk ammo in a semi auto consists of lots of cleaning, jaming, and maintanace and there really isnt any semi auto 22s i like im sure there are som nice ones out there but not my taste. when i switch back to a semi auto in the higher calibers will it be completly diffrent? Or should i expect, not much diffrence?

2. AR10

AR10 New Member

Having three autos, you are due for a revolver.

3. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

I find it reassuring to practice with different types of guns. You can learn the functions and ergonomics of them and feel comfortable shooting whatever.
    :sidebar: rimfire revolvers are deafening

4. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Different action, different experience.
    As stated, pick up a revolver.

5. JonM

JonM Moderator

In one word, no.

6. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

I know it's not your desired caliber, but wicked cool; The Ruger Single Nine. 9 shots of 22MAG. See also the Single Ten, 10 shots of 22LR.

And, not to point out the obvious; a 22 revolver will have much less kick than your other guns. 22 MAG a little more, but still not much.

7. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

If you can shoot a double action revolver accurately, you can shoot anything. They usually have a long trigger pull. Sometimes a little heavy. I have several S&W revolvers. They all have really great triggers. But using a revolver in double action mode teaches you that you must use proper trigger control to able to hit anything. Single action autos are much more forgiving at the target range if you are someone that jerks on the trigger. Not saying you are.

Everyone should have at least one revolver.

8. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I didn't know that. Interesting.

Very good question asked here. I never thought of the difference in shooting. I have a GP 100 and it has a very heavy trigger pull and I can't shoot it for very long. I start out shooting it in double action but after about 18 rounds, I revert to single action. My Mark II I could shoot all day.

And yes, everyone should own the beauty of a nice revolver. :cool:

9. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

My basic hold works for revolvers and pistols.

Form the "V" between thumb and fore-finger.
    grab as high as possible.
    Thumbs forward.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2013
  10. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

You can still practice fundamentals of stance, grip, , natural point of aim, sight alignment, sight picture, breathing, trigger squeeze, and follow through with a revolver. Fit will be different, as will balance, and trigger, and manual if arms. But I bet there are variations in these factors in different autos as well.

Is shooting a revolver the same as shooting an auto? Nope. But, you still get a lot of the same benefits from practicing with the revolver, that you can from shooting an auto.

11. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

Oddly enough that has not been my experience. I have a Ruger MK3, an AMT Lightning & a CZ Kadet Kit for my CZ75BD. I've never had an actual jam on either. Malfunctions, in general are actually quite rare. Dud ammo has been my only difficulty...ever. I prefer CCI Blazers, but in recent months, I've run what I can get...without drama I might add. I'm not sure what guns your experience has been with, but most modern .22 semi autos are fairly reliable if the operator does their part.
    Cleaning and maintenance are part of the cost of doing business. If cleaning and maintenance are going to be too much of a burden, I would recommend air pistols or soft air. Even revolvers need cleaning.
    FWIW, any handgun practice is going to be helpful. However revolvers and Semi-autos are apples & oranges after a certain point. For instance, it's been my experience that SA triggers on a revolver are typically superior to those on most semi-autos (1911s excepted), & limp-wristing a revolver won't affect function. Differences in safeties (& lack thereof) come into play as well. Any practice is good. Practice with a similar design is probably better. If you can find a decent .22 adapter kit for your carry/SD gun, that would probably be ideal.

12. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

You owe it to yourself to get a revolver. I recommend a Ruger if you can afford it. Make sure you get a DA/SA so you can practice with both triggers.

13. therewolf

therewolf New Member

There are a few nice name brand 22LR pistols out there.

I won't waste time advocating a particular brand, just

get a good name brand. Many firearms experts agree

a great way to practice is to get a 22LR very similar

to your larger caliber gun.

I have a nine-shot 22LR revolver, and I'll tell you this, you

better expect to clean it regularly.

14. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

HA! You ever dealt with a Walther P22?

15. Brue182

Brue182 New Member

I picked up a s&w 681 on the cheap. My dad is a police officer and I remember long ago shooting his issued revolver. I love this thing it's got a butter smooth trigger and is very very accurate. Pick one up you won't look back. Most used s&w you can nab for $350 or so.

16. 1turkeyhunter

1turkeyhunter New Member

I have to disagree to a certain point, grant it your far more qualified than I am. I really started getting reluctant when I purchased my 460xvr and seen all the horror stories of what could happen if you held it like a semi auto. I shoot my semi auto like you stated, but changed up my revolver hold to make sure my thumbs were nowhere near the cylinder gap when I pulled the trigger.

http://yorkpistol.blogspot.com/2008/02/460-xvr-accident.html?m=1
    Graphic story with pic

17. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

No, sorry.
    Be fair, I said "most."

18. AR10

AR10 New Member

I have a nice copy of a Taurus 922. It was field and streams handgun of the year 2012.

Mag and any rimfire 22. Well made, lifetime warranty.

19. JW357

JW357 New Member

I was going to say something about the thumbs forward method on a revolver. Always a bad idea.

20. hq357

hq357 New Member

image-3332298642.jpg

This is the baby i plan to get what do you think? S&w 617!