Is S.A.M. as dodgy as it sounds?

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by zhuk, Aug 23, 2009.

1. zhuk

zhuk New Member

Maybe I shouldn't be asking this, but has anyone heared of S.A.M. (Shooters Arms Manufacturing) before? Only wondering as it was the only 1911 in evidence at the gun show I went to last weekend. Its a Philippine company apparently. This model in particular was the one I had a hold of. It certainly felt pretty nice (to my distinct lack of experience :rolleyes:)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Priced at $1200. Wouldn't like to imagine what any Colt/Kimber etc might cost...but would be around 3 grand I bet lol

2. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Never heard of it. And it should be a .45 anyway. :rolleyes:

3. mr1911

mr1911 New Member

You're kidding me? $1,200?!
    I get fliers in the mail where they have been priced between $399. and $599.!

Short answer,...YES, "dodgy".

Long answer,....I'm sure I'll step on someone's toes and they'll get mad at me for my opinion here, but the material quality is questionable at best and the fit and function are right up there with the toy prizes that come out of a bubblegum machine.

Looks nice though doesn't it, lots of bells 'n whistles 'n stuff on it!

4. NGIB

NGIB New Member

He is in Australia. I suspect a basic Glock there is over a grand...

5. mr1911

mr1911 New Member

Good point, I didn't notice he was in another country, I'm suprised they would even have a 1911 for sale at all over there.

6. SGT-MILLER

SGT-MILLER New Member

There's been many different 1911 names coming out of the Phillipines lately.

I would have to hold the weapon to see what the quality is. I'm guessing that the quality will be serviceable at best. This looks like another "budget" type 1911 brand to me.

I would pay maybe a couple hundred dollars for it (if it's put together decent). It would be nice to have a good, newer 9x19mm 1911 pistol to practice with when .45 ACP ammo is sparse.

7. zhuk

zhuk New Member

Thanks for the heads-up on that guys. I kinda figured as much (still have painful memories of a Manila-based ISP I endured once lol) but thought I'd better check with you knowledgable folks!

Indeed. Glocks are over 1000 bucks here. Anything halfway decent (ie HS2000/XD) is going to be about 1200 for starters...and that's without the extra mags necessary for IPSC, holster etc :(

And I have to admit, it's the only 1911 I've ever seen for sale here. My search will continue...

8. canebrake

canebrake New Member

That's because it's not a 1911, it's a 9 mike mike! [​IMG]

9. zhuk

zhuk New Member

Hey cane :)

I know it's tantamount to sacriledge lol...but I'm only looking for a 9 mm. Shooting anything else in Production IPSC is a bit of a waste of time...it's all scored as a 'minor' power factor anyway, so not a hell of a lot of point going to a larger calibre. I think there are only a couple of people in my club who shoot 38 super not 9mm, and only 1 guy using .357.

Of course, none of this is going to apply if self-defence is your primary calibre-consideration.

10. CA357

Can you find CZ's there? I think you'd be very happy with one for IPSC shoots.

11. zhuk

zhuk New Member

CZ is definately on my 'try-to-get-to-hold-one' list CA ;)

[​IMG]

can pick up a Phantom^ (polymer variant of their Tactical model) for $1,259.00. Found another site which has quite a selection of CZs...but no pricing mentioned. Must be 'on application' only lol

I'm going to have to do some travelling to the few gun shops still left out west when this bloody flu gives up it's hold on me :rolleyes:

12. CA357

I had a CZ 75B 9mm that was an absolutely stellar pistol. I think you'd like it if you can get your hands on one. Good luck and get well. :cool:

13. zhuk

zhuk New Member

Thanks man. Will look at the 75B for sure...just checked out a few specs and it's all good - 120mm barrel (illegal any shorter here) and a 10-rd mag is spot on as well. Yes you may laugh...handguns are restricted to 10 rounds max :p which makes competition all the more uh, challenging lol. You spend much of your time reloading...it's not uncommon to go thru 4 mags in a single stage.

14. CA357

I'm in California and we are limited to 10 round mags as well. However, law enforcement may have high capacity mags.

15. zhuk

zhuk New Member

Ahh, can see how 'Kommiefornia' gets its nickname now lol. That must be a bit galling considering the laws in the rest of the country...it's not so much here when you know NO ONE can have anything larger, bar LEOs who carry 18 rnd mags as far as I know.

Hey they outlaw 'black & scary' rifles there too?

16. CA357

They outlaw "evil features". A rifle can only have certain features to be legal. I'm not a black rifle guy, but in CA, you can't have a flash hider, but you can have a muzzle break. AR type rifles must have fixed mags, or a tool must be used to remove the mag. Hence the invention of "bullet buttons".
    Pistol grips can be an evil feature, but a rifle is allowed some evil features, but can't have others. It's convoluted and imbecilic. There's other dumb stuff, but like I say, I'm not into black rifles, so I don't know it all.

We can buy one store owned handgun a month, new or used. Then there is a ten day waiting period before it can be picked up. But you can buy as many privately owned handguns as you want at one time. The ten day waiting period is in effect, but you can pick them all up at the same time. :rolleyes:

All firearm purchases require a background check and the ten day waiting period.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2009
  17. zhuk

zhuk New Member

Wow. That's quite impressive, from an Australian perspective. You can have semi-autos for a start!

Here you need a "Permit to Acquire" police dept approval form issued which must go to the firearms dealer, he fills it out, it goes back, wait 28 days to find out if you can purchase. And only 1 firearm allowed per permit. I'm sure there is a limit on how many you can amass too. Also a 'Genuine Reason' must be supplied for each application.

As for black & scary...anything that:

One guy in my club said he probably has the only AR stock in the country...which he sweated blood to get imported. I dunno, think he must 'know' someone lol

The gun show I went to had a couple of these; the guy said it took about 18 months to get the parts through Customs to knock them up. All single shot bolt-action, mind :p

[warning: subversive photos follow]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Those are just sweeet!

19. zhuk

zhuk New Member

Indeed they are Goju...but if you look carefully, you'll notice them destroying the fabric of civilisation before your very eyes! :eek:

[personally, I'd love to know how exactly those deemed 'black & scary' would "cause unnecessary fear and apprehension in the community". Since they must be hidden away during direct transport to/from a range - no stopping off at the shops in between allowed! - the only persons who could possibly get a chance to view them would be other shooters. But logic was never any politician's strong point :rolleyes: ]

20. CA357

That's just downright sad. :(