is nightforce good for the price?

Discussion in 'Optics & Mounts' started by lonewolf101, Aug 23, 2011.

1. lonewolf101

lonewolf101 New Member

Is that scope worth over a grand?

2. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

Generally speaking yes. Also, it depends what your going to use it for as well as how your going to use it.

3. TCH2FLY

TCH2FLY New Member

Nightforce has a reputation for good quality, the customer service and warranty are top notch. They use good quality glass and have excellent tracking, however only YOU can decide if that level of quality and features are worth more than a grand.

Frankly if you have to ask ... I'd say no, not worth it to you.

4. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

That's a really tough question, because what's "worth" it to me might not be worth it to you. All I can say is that I've done a LOT of research and Nightforce seems to be right up there at the pinnacle of the very best and most of the benchrest shooters I know are using them.

5. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

Nightforce scopes are worth the money,but they are also a very heavy scope.
    That's probably the biggest reason that I haven't bought one.
    I do really like Sightron SIII scopes,and their optic quality is just as good as Nightforce,plus they cost less.The only thing that they don't have is a FFP reticle,but I can live without it.

6. Yunus

Yunus New Member

"worth" is a very subjective term. Is your life going to depend on this scope being able to assist you in taking that shot in slightly lower light than a scope half it's price? Will a tiny difference justify the increase in price?

If yes, then yes it is worth it. If your budget is at all limited and practice would help you more than the scope with accuracy, then no. You can take a lot of shots with the money you save buying a less expensive scope.

7. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Oh, puh-leeze. Then why would you say Nightforce is worth the money?

8. lonewolf101

lonewolf101 New Member

thanks for the info but right now I'l stick to my Nikon. If I did alot of hunting out west then yes

9. ron12301

ron12301 New Member

I think Nightforce is worth the money. I agree that they are heavy, at least the BR model I have is. I own Nikon, Leupold and Bushnell scopes and Nightforce beats them all. Like what has been said before, good glass is not cheap and you should match your equipment with the intended use. After I looked through a couple of my friends NF scopes, I caught the fever and had to have one. So beware

10. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

The big question is are you a good enough shooter to take advantage of the small practical difference in a $1000 scope and a $500 scope.

I am sure that some here are; on the other hand, I am not, and don't plan to put in the bench time to be that good, the $500.00 scope will generally out-perform me anyway.

11. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

If y'all can find a Nightforce scope for $1,000, would you please let me know? Cause the lowest I see on Optics Planet is over $1,200, and that's in a focal range/length that I would not be interested in for either hunting OR benchrest!

12. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

Hey lon, try looking around in here. These folks consider Night Force scopes a intermediate level scope for the most part and there are from time to time very good deals on them here.

Optics For Sale - Sniper's Hide Forums

Last edited: Aug 24, 2011
  13. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Duly noted, I'm thinking about new as opposed to "pre-owned." If they consider Nightforce intermediate level....what brands do they think are better? I haven't been on that forum.

14. JonM

JonM Moderator

things like this:

[​IMG]

15. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Please elaborate!

16. TCH2FLY

TCH2FLY New Member

Frankly the average hunter/weekend shooter doesn't get much exposure to high-end scopes ... they aren't sold in big box stores or the average gunshop. It is easier to come across top-end Leupolds and Nightforce so those seem like the top of the heap but there are better scopes out there.

Hensoldt or Schmidt & Bender are usually considered to be the very best. It can be argued the Premier Reticle makes a scope that is very comparable to S&B.
    Others that get high grades with price tags over $2k are US Optics and March. USO is most frequently compared to NF because they are both made in the USA but USO cost a bit more.
    IOR also makes a couple scopes in the $1500 range that people compare to NF.

Glass quality is always brought up as the big difference but the actually sight image is very subjective. One person may prefer the view through an inexpensive scope, and proclaim it is "the best" while another prefers the most expensive... people need to buy what provides their eye with the best image. A detailed look at a scope's features can make the price difference even more apparent or appealing.

Here are two articles on high optics, Ilya Koskin's High end tactical scopes part II

and Zak Smith's Optics for long-range rifle shooting

Really?? :rolleyes: I doubt anybody on SH would rate a Hawke over Nightforce.

17. JonM

JonM Moderator

im just referring to the wheel not the scope heh. prolly a bad joke

the issue i have with my leupold mk4 is the glass isnt as clear as it should be. the clicks stop to stop are kinda iffy at best.

it is a rugged scope but i wish i had spent the $$ on a nightforce.

just the little things.

im not sure what would be better than a nightforce.

18. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

Because they are worth what they cost,but I don't need FFP in my optics,I do just fine with SFP.

Anyway,who just had to put a Swaro on their new Cooper????

19. JonM

JonM Moderator

Front focal is really nice for using your mildots under any magnification. Without it generally but not always the scopes lowest setting is where the mildots work.

If your going to use the dots for windage and elevation snap adjustments on targets that are moving or may appear only briefly you want front focal. Only peeps that really need that level of versatility are real military snipers in a war zone. Or in case shtf...

My mk4 m1 leupold is not a front focal and for range use and hunting its just fine. At the time bamster wasnt even a thought we were still in bush's first term and he hadnt started the massive borrowing obama took off and ran it in for a touchdown with...

Today my next scope will be a front focal of some type cuz shtf is more liekly than ever