Is my shell deflector getting too much use??

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by DropZone889, Mar 28, 2014.

1. DropZone889

DropZone889 New Member

This is my first build and here are the specs first :
    BCM upper
    16" 1/7 Carbine Melonite M4 barrel
    NFA Lower w/ RRA Single stage LPK
    Magpul B.A.D. Lever
    Adams Arms Piston Kit
    Magpul MBUS Pro Black F + R
    YHM phantom YH-28-5M
    Magpul MOE Handguards, +Grip, RVG, CTR... all in FDE.
    Surefire 6P LED

Now for my question, in my pic below is my shell deflector getting too much wear? I have put about 300+ rounds through this new build, my gas setting for the AA's gas block is at the 12 o'clock full open position. I just want to make sure this wear is normal, yes I know that's what the deflector is for but for under 400 rounds is this ok?? ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1396004159.198901.jpg ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1396004183.127715.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

Might be cycling fast with too much gas. A well tuned ar15 should toss brass without hitting the deflector and the cases should be in the 4oclock position in a neat pile.

3. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

perhaps a heavier buffer would help slow the cycle enough? at least you know its doing what its supposed to lol.

4. DropZone889

DropZone889 New Member

I am using a standard carbine buffer and I now remember that they recommend a heavier buffer for AA's systems, which I will now research, thanks for the help pointing me in the right direction!

Drop

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

5. samnev

samnev New Member

Deflector Problem

You can usually dean of the brass smear left on the deflector fairly easily. Yours doesn't look like the finish is chipped which often happens. You can use Velcro on the deflector and that will solve your problem. I put velcro on all my semis before they dent or chip the deflector. The SIG 556 is particularly bad at ruining the finish around the ejection port.

6. Freedom4life

Freedom4life New Member

No, your rifle should be ejecting and hitting your deflector... It is why it there

7. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

It shows tha tyour shell deflector is indeed doing it's job. I've seen several that got chewed up a bit after many thousand rounds. I think yours has a long way to go. If it bothers you you can usually remove brass marks with a pencil eraser and then re-oil the deflector. You can also take a preventive step and put a piece of electrical tape, or a square of stick-on velcro, on the deflector to add another layer of protection to it.

8. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Heavy buffer and enhanced extractor spring should reduce that.

9. JonM

JonM Moderator

No, it was requested to be there by the military to keep left handed shooters from getting hit in the face. But it shouldn't be getting pelted regularly. That much brass marks is a sure sign of either over gassing or weak recoil spring or worn extractor parts. Since this is a new build and the maker of the gas system says heavy buffer should be used that means over gassed.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2014
  10. EW1066

EW1066 Member Supporter

never mind

Last edited: Mar 30, 2014