Is James Yeager Correct, 9mm or .45 acp Only Good Choices For Defense Ammo?

Discussion in 'Training & Safety' started by AR10, Jun 23, 2013.

1. AR10

AR10 New Member

James has a video, where he gives his opinion that .40 type ammo (any high pressure round) is a bad idea for your personal carry self defense round.

As a 20 year owner.of a Glock 20, this opinion took me buy surprise.

With today's modern ammo, in today's modern built firearms, many built to shoot better, harder hitting rounds, often with no increased recoil, is James on to something?

My only high pressure handgun is my Glock 20, that I carry with Buffalo Bore ammo, topping 1,500 fps, throwing a 100% copper hollow point someone could park a Buick in.

My other carry gun is a Baretta Sub Compact Storm in 9mm.

Did I get that recent choice correct, or is James incorrect?

Last edited: Jun 23, 2013

2. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

Yeager thinks that the Glock 19 is the only gun you should own. He thinks .40 is useless. He threatens to kill people. He makes our cause very difficult and makes gun owners sound crazy. Yeager is an *******. I have no respect for this idiot.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzmkGgQLCMA[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gsxdk1V8i-M[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xr581OIiK9Y[/ame]

Here is one from a fellow forum member...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgKXRIGZcOQ[/ame]

3. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

The best defensive round is the one that you have.

There is absolutely no logical reason why a 9mm and a .45 are acceptable, while the .40 is not.

Yeager is a moron, not that he wasn't before this.

4. kbd512

kbd512 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

High pressure handgun rounds don't accomplish anything that lower pressure handgun rounds don't on human targets.

I've shot .40 S&W and 10MM pistols and never had any desire to own either.

Is there anything wrong with those calibers? No, but what does the round do against a human target that a 9MM or .45 ACP won't?

If you want slower, fatter bullets you have .45 ACP. If you want faster, smaller bullets you have 9MM. The .40 S&W and 10MM bullets are slightly faster and slightly fatter than 9MM but provide minimal increases in performance for the major increases in pressure and wear & tear on the guns that chamber them.

So, while I could care less if someone uses .40 S&W I would ask them what that cartridge offers that hot loaded 9MM NATO ammunition does not. 10MM cartridges are about equivalent with .357 Magnum loadings and, unsurprisingly, most people have problems with fast follow up shots.

How many 9MM or .45 ACP handguns have been blown up by hot loaded cartridges vs .40 S&W or 10MM?

5. AR10

AR10 New Member

Thanks for your response, appreciate it, however, my gist was ammo, not polarizing 2nd armament supporters, and what we think of them personally.

I , on this subject, have no clear opinion on this guy, except we both had the same opinion, on the armed march on DC, which we both feel would be really stupid. Other than that, I do not know anything about Yeager.

Here is another video where a news person is interviewing him.

Now, back to 9mm as ideal ammo over a .40

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JZj-nplqx0&feature=youtube_gdata_player

6. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

I have included some research in my last post above to look at stopping power. My point on Yeager is that I have problems with his facts regarding your question.

7. AR10

AR10 New Member

Thanks for your post. Your opinion falls along the line of the Yeager ideas on defensive ammo.

As a new Range Safety Officer teaching at concealed carry classes, I am learning my road over the past twenty years, is not the road everyone else is traveling on.

8. Donn

Donn Active Member

Yeager's issue with the .40 and .357 Sig is it's too hot for the 9mm platform it's based on. Sooner or later, parts will fail regardless which polymer gun is used. These findings are based on his experience in his classes. Not defending him, but the only difference between Yeager and a lot of guys on this forum is he's got a You Tube channel. Look thru the threads here. Guys are just as opinionated, every bit as sure their pistol choice is the best and anyone who doesn't agree is a dead man/woman walking. Just sayin..........

9. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

IMO, the 40 works just fine. James Yeager comes off as a pompous azz, who thinks his opinion is superior to everyone elses. i have seen a few of his videos and frankly, i wasn't impressed. now his opinion is that he knows more than the manufacterers and designers of pistols and ammo?

the way he presents himself in his videos is my biggest concern. doesn't really matter to me if he's wrong or right, he comes off looking like a deranged lunatic. if i need information, he would not be the source i'd look to for it.

10. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

The debate is ludicrous.

And don't trust a man who can't control his own temper.

11. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

and especially when he will make a video of him doing so for the public to see him losing his temper.

12. Seven

Seven New Member

Ideal? It's really a wash imo as far as "caliber comparison".
    9mm has an advantage in capacity when you compare similar sized (9 vs. .40) pistols.

I like the video Paul Gomez (RIP) made although it is a "9 vs. .45" video. Just substitute .40 for .45 and it's still relevant.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dA36NYLqns[/ame]

13. Amsdorf

Amsdorf New Member

No, of course James Yaeger is not correct.

*ANY* defense round is good when it is used in a well maintained handgun, by a person who has trained with it and knows how to get rounds on target effectively.

14. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

Max Pressures of common (& some less common) handgun cartridges:
    9 mm 35,000 psi
    9 mm +P 38,000 psi
    .40 S&W 35,000 psi
    10 mm 37,500 psi
    .357 mag 35,000 psi
    .357 Sig 40,000 psi
    .45 GAP 23,000 psi

.40 is "high pressure" But 9 mm is good? Tell me more...

15. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

The 9mm and the 40 S&W run at the same pressure (30k-35k). The 45ACP runs at a much lower pressure (20k). The 10mm and the 357 Sig are similar in pressure (35k-39k) The 45ACP will run similar velocities as the 40 using the same bullet weights at much lower pressure. You are stretching the envelope using the 357 Sig and 10mm in a handgun that was designed for the 9mm but the mfgs must know this and feel it is safe. Just think about how many people hot load their magnum revolvers.

16. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I hate "it depends" answers.

Some will form a mental block against things. And that is where they stand, no matter what.

But, if we deleted all videos from youtube that were biased, then there would be nothing left.

17. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

A doctor's view.....

[ame]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tku8YI68-JA[/ame]

18. AR10

AR10 New Member

Anyone that fidgets, scratches that much has a chemical dependency issue showing, quite possibly. He is moving around like picnickers placing their blankets on an ant hill.

Beyond that, and some people not liking this guy, is there a valid point to accepting 9mm or .45acp as end all defense rounds, making all other calibers less than ideal choices?

I ask this, with me having 20 years in a Glock 20. As I begin to look at other options, I do not want to loose sight of the forest because of the trees.