Is It True?

Discussion in 'Legal and Activism' started by Airborne1, May 3, 2014.

1. mseric

mseric New Member

2. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

3. Pasquanel

Pasquanel Proud to be an American Supporter

The scary part is the entire constitution is on the table this could be a very slippery slope!

4. fa35jsf

fa35jsf New Member

Is it true? Yes and no.

Yes 2/3 have voted at one point to call a constitutional convention.

No, in the fact that some of those states have pulled their vote many years ago.

This voting for a constitutional convention has been taking place for years, maybe even a decade or more. So some of the original states to push for this have since resigned their vote and so the question becomes, once a state calls for a constitutional convention, can they resign that call?

And that is where the bickering is right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

5. Shoobee

Shoobee New Member

Here is the full story, from FOX News.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...s-to-meet-change-constitution-gains-momentum/

Apparently there is an issue about certain of the 34 states who have rescinded their decision.

The next step will probably be a SCOTUS ruling about these rescinding states - can they rescind or can they not? (... as Johnny Depp would say in Pirates Of The Caribbean.)

Once in a constitutional convention, the convening states may draft and pass whatever they want to agree on. It then must go out to all the states for ratification. Ratification is on a state by state one vote each basis, and is up to the state legislatures. Not sure how the state senates and assemblies stand in terms of precedence.

But perhaps we will find out someday soon.

SCOTUS will need to chime in first though, due to the rescinding states.

6. Shoobee

Shoobee New Member

If you are afraid of democracy in action, then it could be scary, sure.

I am not afraid of the voice of the People.

Democracy is sacred.

The Federal democratic republic form of democracy presently in existence has log jammed over party partisanship.

So welcome pure democracy in action, at the state level.

7. Pasquanel

Pasquanel Proud to be an American Supporter

Its not democracy I fear my concern is based on "We The People" are becoming a minority in this country. More and more folks are becoming entirely dependent on the federal government for their survival. If the vote on doing this is done the same way we do elections (The electoral College ) then the high density low information areas control the outcome!
    I would dearly love to strip the Feds of the strangle hold they have on us I just don't hold the judgement of the US population at this point tin time as highly as you. We are at a time when everything that was right is now wrong and all that was wrong is now acceptable, its a world upside down!

8. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Take a good long look at that open cesspool on the other side of the Atlantic. the EU.

One of the reasons the Constitution was written, was to form a republic, and prevent the country from degenerating into "mob rule."
    and "Pure Democracy" is nothing more than mob rule.

Partisan bickering and gridlock are better than mob rule.

9. Eagle1803

Eagle1803 New Member

I don't believe this will change a Damn thing, Mainstrem Media at work. Bunch of BS

10. FernandoTheCommando

FernandoTheCommando New Member

Gonna have to agree with that. Also going to agree that if it did go to a citizen vote, unfortunately we are outnumbered by low information voters and liberals....at least in my area we are.