Is it true that the only gun that can truely be silenced in a .22 ruger?

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by Tazorac, Jun 17, 2011.

1. Tazorac

Tazorac New Member

I've read that the only gun that can truly be silenced is a .22 ruger..is that true? I'm a gun novice

2. opaww

opaww New Member

No many guns can be silenced; the effectiveness of a suppressed weapon is dependent on the quality of the suppresser and the ammo being subsonic. The SIG mosquito and the Walther P22 are among the most suppressed pistols in society today.

Do a youtube search for silenced hand guns and you can view many guns on there that are silenced and see for yourself.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2011

3. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

The state of being 'silenced' or suppressed (correct term), is the noise being below a certain decibel level. Many firearms are very capable of reaching below that level, even shotguns.

4. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvF4yurWSc0]YouTube - ‪Silenced 1895 Nagant revolver (NFA)‬‏[/ame]

There are 3 components of noise- muzzle blast, bullet breaking sound barrier, and action cycling. The Ruger does OK, but there ARE quieter suppressed guns.

And be careful about taking advice on other matters from the person that told you that.

5. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I am absolutely amazed at how quiet that is. :eek:

6. sparky80

sparky80 New Member

I shot a silenced P22 last week and could'nt believe how quiet it was. Sounded like an air rifle. I'm saving for my own now.:D

7. c3shooter

The quietest suppressed firearm I have shot was a Delisle carbine. Mating of a Lee Enfield to a Thompson barrel, BIG suppressor, caliber .45 ACP. So quiet, you would hear the firing pin hit the primer.

8. Hawg

Hawg New Member

There's a lot of semi autos that are so quiet all you hear is the bolt working but you'd be surprised how loud the bullet impact is even from a .22.

9. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

The very nature of the question negates the answer.

Suppressors exist in many shapes and forms. Facts being facts a rifle would be easier to suppress then a pistol due to the length of the barrel and the ability to build the suppressor around the barrel, thus adding more baffles to reduce the ballastic crack of the bullet breaking the sound barrier.

Thus, in short? No. The Ruger is not the only weapon that can be suppressed.

JD

10. Rex in OTZ

Rex in OTZ Active Member

Rugers are noisey

A boltaction would make more sense, the 10/22 is still going to blow back the bolt and thers noise comes from that, Ever see one fired at night the flash from the ejection port?
    The quietest rifle I'd ever fired was a std length boltaction (81 marlin) useing std velocity short ammo, the same would go for the CB caps.
    Used to shoot CB's all the time in our Collage dorm room, never any complaints from the neighboring rooms.

11. Yunus

Yunus New Member

Any gun can be silenced. It just requires the vaccum of space. :D

12. natman

natman Member

It's hard to say since I can think of at least six different models of ".22 ruger". But the larger answer is no, there are lots of different guns that can be made very quiet.

13. wmille01

wmille01 New Member

very true the P90 with a silencer the only noise is the bolt slapping metal, which with the some modding can be quieted down. Mosin revolver because the cilander moves forward to enclose the system it can be silenced pretty well, really very little noise.

14. HotGuns

HotGuns Member

The absolute quitest .22 rifle is a Savage bolt action that is integrally suppressed by Thompson Machine. I shot this gun at the Silencer Shoot outside a Memphis a few weeks ago. It put all other .22's to shame.

You can litteraly hear the firing pin whack the case.
    It used to be said that a rifle was a quiet as a pellet gun. This thing makes a pellet gun sound loud.

Its called the Operative B. Look it up.

15. orangello

orangello New Member

Yunus, you may need a mental examination; i was about to post the same thing, maybe speeeelled differently.

16. Ambrola

Ambrola New Member

Don't you have to have a class 3 licence to suppress say a 45??

17. c3shooter

No such thing as a Class III license except for dealers. In order to POSSESS a suppressor in the US, you must have registered the transfer of ownership of the suppressor with the BATFE, and the transfer is handled by a class III dealer. You pay a one time $200 tax to the Feds. Same as a machinegun or short barreled shotgun.

18. ACRhino

ACRhino New Member

The ownership of a suppressor is flat out illegal in some states. No ammount of money or licenses will get you one.

19. JonM

JonM Moderator

No distinction between 45 and 22 suppressors. Both and everything in between require going through the hoops setup by hoplophobic politicians

20. Tazorac

Tazorac New Member

interesting info guys