Is it still possible to buy an ar 15 for under 900$?

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by hq357, Jan 21, 2013.

1. hq357

hq357 New Member

Ive seen dpms ar15s go for 1500$ and now even ak varient rifles are selling for 1000$!!!! Will these prices be forever? Why is everything so damn expensive now??!

2. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

Supply and demand, companies are turning out as many as possible and it still isn't enough.
    People are prepared to pay more.

Give it six or eight months, the supply will catch up and all the guys that paid a 200% markup will lose their butts.

The market will be flooded with $700 ARs and $400 AKs.

3. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

^MIGHT^

Ahhhh, we can only hope. That seems to be the general consensus, though. I hope so, 'cause there are some semi-auto & centerfire rifle holes in my collection.

4. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

I seriously considered selling my AR15 for about $2000 and buying a few more mil-surps while they are cheap, my LGS has old Bolt guns for $200-$300.

5. Renegade44

Renegade44 New Member

I've built two in the last month. 850.00 for one and 800.00 for the other. First one is a del-ton lower with GSE carbine 16" rifle kit, collapsible stock, A3, chrome lined. Second is Spikes lower, with RGUNS carbine 16" rifle kit, same set up.

6. samnev

samnev New Member

Seems to me that in the last few days the asking prices have dropped somewhat and the higher priced AR's and AK's are not selling very quickly. Will the prices ever go down to what they were before the madness, it's anybodies guess.

7. JeeperSC

JeeperSC New Member

I bought mine new for $799. I got lucky and was in the right place at the right time. I've seen private sellers posting the same one I have online for up to $2,000.

i think I figured out where some price gauging is coming from. The LGS employees get dibs on the stock before they go on the shelves for themselves or their friends. I bet they are reselling for profit.

- when I bought mine the employee that rang me up said that she tried to buy this one but the owner wouldn't let her buy anymore.

-my friend was one of the lucky ones who knew an employee that held one for him. He went after they closed to pick it up. While there, they brought 7 freshly built ARs out to sale the next day. My friend got his, two employees bought 1 each. And the rest called a friend to come pick an Ar up. This was before I bought mine and was Pi$$ed when I heard this! Lol

Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  8. ccrow175

ccrow175 New Member

I bought my daniel defense a while back for 800.00 slightly used, its insane knowing what someone would be willing to pay for it now

9. jgoertz

jgoertz New Member

I don't know much about AR type rifles. I was hanging at my LGS a little while ago and saw that he had just got in some (5). He had an FAL .308 for $1200. Is that a decent price? I'm not interested in buying it but just curious.

10. InDefenseofLiberty

InDefenseofLiberty New Member

It's possible but, you will have to sacrifice time to get one. I was at the Cabela's store in Glendale, AZ yesterday and the sales guy said that they had 18 come in one morning. Line outside started 3 hours before they opened and the AR's were gone in the first hour not being able to sell to all the people that had gathered before the store opened.

So yeah it's possible, just not very probable.

11. Robbie762

Robbie762 New Member

How do you like the RGuns upper? I've heard several say that they are junk, I just used one on a DPMS lower and I'm very satisfied. Got less than 700 in it.

12. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

Any LGS that wants to stay in business right now won't be letting employees get 1st dibbs on anything. If word got out, that'd be it. They owe a lot to their regular & loyal customers, and that's who should get 1st dibbs, if anybody.

13. dwmiller

dwmiller Well-Known Member Supporter

Amen to that. I take care of my customers first, they are the reason i have a buisness at all.

14. fsted2a

fsted2a Active Member

If you can get your hands on a stripped lower, there are complete kits out there for about 600 bucks.

15. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

I have serious doubts about that. I do hope to be proven wrong.

I think we're going to see a permanent price increase for rifles, parts, mags, etc. Yes, even if there are no political/legal changes. Don't get me wrong, that doesn't mean I think for one second that the currently insane prices are here to stay. But we might well see at permanent 20-50% price increase on various items. So a DPMS that was previously $600-800, and is now $1400-2000...might settle a lot closer to $1000 than $700 if things calm down.

Something to consider: Take mags for example. Many people are paying $40-90 each for the PMags you could have bought 5 weeks ago for $10-18. Some folks are still getting them in limited quantities for under $20, if they've got a good connection or are on the right waiting list. So imagine you're Magpul...you're backordered into oblivion and you've got thousands of distrubutors and hundreds of thousands of individuals fighting to have them take your money first. You can run round the clock, pay employees overtime...and you're not even close to filling demand. Are you going to raise the prices? You are in this to make money, correct? Say you own a company/manufacturing plant that supplies Magpul with their raw materials. Think maybe those folks are aware of the current situation? Perhaps Magpul is one of their primary customers? Think they may raise their costs a bit as well? Supply and demand.

This is why I expect a permanent price increase. But it won't be congruent with the current insanity. Right now there are a ton of folks who know very little about ARs or the firearms market in general driving up prices. This is why the most rediculously overpriced gear wears the "Bushmaster" label. This is both silly and sad.

16. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

For right now, that is true. But if nothing important materializes, people who drove up the price may change their minds, and flood the secondary market. In which case, we're back to normal pricing, maybe lower.

Technically, I believe that is one of the basics of business; if you make something for which there is more demand than you can handle, you are not charging enough. I don't honestly know if that holds true in a situation like this, which is not totally normal......

17. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

The price increase in this case is coming directly from manufacturers and distributors. In fact my boss called S&W today to report a distributor for selling their sporters for $1300 wholesale! If dealers have to pay more than double to get guns what can they do but pass the cost on?

18. GeneralPatton

GeneralPatton New Member

I highly doubt (like 1 in a googleplex to quote Doc from back to the future) that you'll see a secondary market flood no matter what, if any, changed are made to the law. The reason prices are so high is because the secondary market is the only place you can be sure to find what you want. Rounds, mags, parts and complete guns all the same. I see no relief to the supply chain in the near future, and have little hope of return to normalcy to pre-November levels.

19. Hawkeye3030

Hawkeye3030 New Member

Yes.bought one today for $799.

20. nfafan

nfafan Member

Stopped in an "LGS" in Streetsboro, OH today; not a single new/used AR for under $2K. Mini-14 over $1K, same with the few AKs they had.