Is it safe to reload target-grade shotgun hulls?

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by therhino, Mar 8, 2012.

1. therhino

therhino New Member

As the title says, is it safe to reload targte-grade shotgun hulls? I currently only fire el-cheapo stuff through my 20 gauge since I'm a shotgun newbie. I've picked up all my hulls and bagged them. It's all Winchester SuperTarget or Sellier&Bellot stuff, originally #8 shot, 3/4oz charge.

If it is safe, do I not want to deviate from the original load when reloading? For example, avoid loading a slug into one of these hulls?

2. bigdaddy573

bigdaddy573 New Member

Have they already been fired or are they brand new?

I RUN LIKE A CHEVY AND IM BUILT FORD TOUGH ;)

3. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

I used to reload all of my good shot shells.

The only problems that I ever had was the crimped end would open back up on some of the cheap ones after being stored for a while.
    As long as they aren't damaged,you should be fine.

4. bigdaddy573

bigdaddy573 New Member

I'm a idiot I was thinking u was talking about the wads for some reason Lol.

They will be ok with slugs just make sure u have load data for them and Buck shot if u like to shoot them to

I RUN LIKE A CHEVY AND IM BUILT FORD TOUGH ;)

5. zimm

zimm New Member

I have always found "target" shotshell hulls to be the BEST for reloading. I think they are more uniform and more durable, giving more reloads per hull than field grade or economy shells.

6. tonydewar

tonydewar New Member

check to see if thay are a 1 or 2 pce hull tapered or not! in other words check your reloading manual its all there in black and white and some one has spent a bunch of time putting it all togeather a rule of thumb silver base-no brase base more than likley

7. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I believe the Winchester Super Target hulls are essentially AA hulls. You can use the data from AA/Upland game loads. Look into the base of the hull (compare to the AA hull. Should be a one piece compression formed hull with no cardboard or plastic base wad.

The S&B? I have no idea. I do not recall seeing any data specific for these hulls.

Be very careful loading shot shells. Insure the internal dimensions are exactly like the one specified in the data.