Is it really worth buying a colt ar15?

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by hq357, Dec 1, 2012.

1. hq357

hq357 New Member

I really want an ar15 for my birthday i have enough money to buy a colt if i wanted but ive seen other really nice ar15 rifles for 850$ or less like the palmettos state armory ar15s or the s&w mp 15 i want a rifle that i can take to the range or dessert and run it hard or go varmit hunting with or if shtf i want a rifle that will be reliable and i can really depend on it to protect my family, and my life ,a rifle that will last. people are saying to get a colt beacuse its particle tested used by military mil- spec quality f marked front sight m4 feed ramps blah blah blah, but is is it really worth buying a colt? Or will a rifle that cost less do the same thing? Why do so many people love colts? This will be my first ar so please tell me what you think.

2. ctshooter

ctshooter New Member

I think people are going to tell you get the colt, others will say get a this or that. Bottom line do you need a mil spec rifle? Probably not. If you want it and have the cash get one. Me I bought a used m&p and it shoots fine, over 1000 rounds down range and not a single hiccup.

3. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Im guessing the like the pretty pony.

4. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Lots of other choices out there with those Colt specs. Your money not theirs spend it how u want.

5. canebrake

canebrake New Member

6. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

read some of the stickies in the AR section and decide what's important to you and your needs. there is a ton of information there that will get you pointed in the right direction.

7. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Nope, just the big pins! [​IMG]

8. birddog114

birddog114 New Member

I bought a Troy on sale and am very happy with it. I had a Rock River Arms that had over 1500 rounds through it and not one problem. I like Colt but feel that there are better deals out there. I personally like the mid length to full rail on my carbines and Colt doesn't offer that.

9. hq357

hq357 New Member

How about the psa palmetto state armory AR 15s? Everything is mil-spec like colt but its cheaper! I just dont want to waste my money. if i can get a rifle that does the same thing as a colt why pay more?

10. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

As they used to say..."nobody ever got fired for buying IBM."

11. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

My LGS has the Colt LE6920 model for $999. It is actually one of the cheaper AR rifles he sells.

12. Scorpion

Scorpion New Member

Considering it's so close in price (currently) with other brands, why not get the Colt? You won't be disappointed.

13. hq357

hq357 New Member

Palmetto state armory ar15s are only 700 to 850$ all mill spec good quality alot cheaper than a colt

14. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Yes, of course...

PSA is a bargain and seems to deliver the goods. You can't go wrong with the Colt though PSA does give you a lot of bang for the buck. Study the specs of Colt, BCM, Daniel Defense and PSA and make the best decision for you.

15. canebrake

canebrake New Member

And you need what, our approval? AR buyer..PLEASE.......
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And yet it's a PSA. GO BIG PIN!

16. MoreAltitude

MoreAltitude New Member

Edit******************

17. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

I have several PSA s. No problems with any of them . Also have a spikes , no problems. I have a build with a colt 20" target upper that I have not fired yet but I'm sure it won't have any issues. Again buy what u like that meets your needs not what everyone else says is best. If u truely want a colt, PSA or what ever else buy it . Don't second guess yourself and have no regrets. They both have a lifetime warranty

Last edited: Dec 2, 2012
  18. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Listen to Canebrake and Quentin. They speaks wisdom.:eek:

i have three Colts. Two old SP1 types. (rifle and carbine)

My latest is a LE6940. It's worth every penny I paid for it and more. I put an ACOG TA31F on it, and it's a perfect fit for my needs.

19. PlasticGunner

PlasticGunner New Member

I have a colt 6920 and love it, out of the box I am hitting water jugs out to 200yd open sights. I am glad I bought it and know I can recoup most of my money if I want to sell it. With that said I also owned a rra and love that also. Like said before there are many good cheaper brands out there, look around and buy what appeals to you the most.

20. rhyno13

rhyno13 New Member

You can get a better AR for less money if you will shop around. In my opinion your just paying for the name anyway.