is it possible?

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by GunRunner, Jan 27, 2012.

1. GunRunner

GunRunner New Member

Is it possible to put a full size Kimber slide on a ultra covert frame?

I ask for the simple reason that I like the ultra covert for concealed carry but would prefer to target practice with a full sized 1911. I know I could always Buy a second 1911 for this but that's not what I want to do.

If its possible, can I order the slide complete from Kimber or how would I go about this?

2. Olympus

Olympus New Member

You want to put a 5" barrel and slide on a compact/officer's frame? I don't think that's going to work. Could be wrong though.

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

Wont work. The way the recoil springs and such are configured are vastly different for each slide.

4. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Won't work and ill advised to attempt. Barrel bushing, slide release,chamber throat, etc will all be in the wrong place. Barrel will basically be just sitting on the frame and if you managed to chamber and fire a round the whole thing will blow up in your hands.

5. gollygee

gollygee New Member

The closest thing I know of to what you want is Kimber's 'Compact Stainless II' model. That is a 4" barrel on an officer's frame. You might call them to see if a 4" slide & barrel would work okay on your Ultra frame. As already stated, unless the spring/guide assy is included with the new slide, you'll probably need that also.

6. GunRunner

GunRunner New Member

Basically that's what I was talking about, the whole top assembly on the frame

7. gollygee

gollygee New Member

Still don't think it will work, even with the whole assembly. I believe the frame on an Ultra is shorter than on the full size & the spring channel of the 5" would not be covered by the dust cover, exposing the recoil spring.

8. GunRunner

GunRunner New Member

Thought so but was hoping otherwise. So I was forced to Buy another gun......... Woe is me......lol

9. gollygee

gollygee New Member

That's what you wanted to do anywau, right?? :rolleyes: Glad we could be of service. :p

10. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Sorry 'bout that :p

11. GunRunner

GunRunner New Member

Yeah, its how I rationalized it to the wife.

12. Cattledog

Cattledog New Member

Is there some reason that just the full size barrel itself wouldn't work in the compact slide assembly? The recoil spring to frame/slide ratios would all be intact. Or, would the barrel bushing be a problem.

13. gollygee

gollygee New Member

The compacts use a different type barrel with no barrel bushing. You do bring up an interesting question, in the case a guy maybe wanted to use a suppressor. The 5" & 4.25" commanders both use bushings. Just curious if a 5" barrel would fit in a commander?:confused:

14. canebrake

canebrake New Member

If it was a good idea, someone would be selling them.

15. Belltactical

Belltactical New Member