is it possible and would it be legal?

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by Double_tap, Dec 11, 2011.

1. Double_tap

Double_tap New Member

Was wondering if it would be possible to mount a 12gauge on to the bottom of an AR much like how a grenade launcher. I know the barrel of the shot gun would have to sit flush with where the barrel of the AR flash suppressor ends due to the spray. Is this idea even legal, and how do I compensate the kick of the shot gun?

2. downsouth

downsouth New Member

I believe I saw an episode where RED JACKET married an AR And a SAIGA much like you re talking about.

As for the kick, grit your teeth and lean into it.

3. Redarrow18

Redarrow18 New Member

Yeah it's possible, it's called a master key I believe, there's other ones like flame throwers and chainsaws that have been put under there in video games and such as well

4. trip286

trip286 New Member

I'll bet there's a kit for that. It's not just in video games, the video games got the concept from real life.

As was already stated, yeah, just grit your teeth and lean into it.

5. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

possible? yes
    recoil. from videos its looks managable. remember your not going for accuracy with buckshot...
    legal? idk doubtful. its too cool. but again idk

Attached Files:

6. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

It's doable but legality is another question entirely. By law a shot gun needs to have an overall length of 26" and a barrel no shorter that 18". That's a lot of weight to hang off of the front of an AR. Eventhough you are integrating the shotgun onto the AR the fact remains that the shotgun receiver is still a serialed firearm for BATFE purposes. You would most likely need an AOW NFA stamp to deal with the length issue.

7. 1stMarine

1stMarine New Member

What are you gonna use it for anyway? Unless you breach doors on a regular basis its only gonna slow you down. Trust me I carried one in afghanistan. Other than for breaches (of which we did a lot) the thing was just dead weight. You couldn't really use it for antipersonell like in video games, too akward to hold, and the way the recoil acts it tugs the gun down instead of climbing like would be expected. Took me by suprise the first time damn near dropped the thing.

We're all goin' to hell and I'm drivin' the bus.

8. Jstrong

Jstrong New Member

Best way I can think of to do this legally that I can think of would be to find a Serbu shorty shotgun (or similar gun,but this is the only one I know of particularly suited for this),its technically considered an AOW instead of a short barreled shotgun because of the way its assembled I believe.apply for your NFA tax stamp,wait your 4-6 months for it to get approved (hopefully) pay your $5 AOW tax And take possession of the shotgun,after that find someone with the skills and innovation to attach it to your quad rail system

9. trip286

trip286 New Member

I have a battle axe I don't use (except for hunting dragons while riding a flying horse). It's really cool though.

10. woody63m

woody63m New Member

11. Double_tap

Double_tap New Member

Just wanted to do it just to do it

12. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

If the shotgun was sold with a buttstock, regardless of what on it now, its a $200 tax as short barreled shotgun.

If its built from a new receiver, its a $5 AOW.

13. downsouth

downsouth New Member

I'm confused. My 590 was shipped with a butt stock on it. It also has a pistol grip in the box. So if I switch them I need to pay 200.00???

14. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

No. As long as the barrel length is 18" or longer it doesn't matter. If bbl length is currently shorter than 18" see above.

15. downsouth

downsouth New Member

Ok, I must have missed something earier. Good on the barrel lenth 20"

16. RDP

RDP New Member

Can't you get around the "20 rule if you just rifle the barrel like they did with the judge?

17. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Rifled barrel or not, if it is still for a 12 g shotshell, it is a shotgun. The Judge is for 45 Colt and will also take a 410 shell. Get above 50 cal and you may wander over into the "destructive device with no sporting purpose" category. They ran into that trying the 28 g. version of the Judge.

18. FaTmAn

FaTmAn New Member

Prolly almost wet his pants too. :D well if were going on a bus ride ill ride shotgun.

19. Sarge22

Sarge22 New Member

You can find plans on some pirate sites for M203 grenade launchers. Sleeve it down to 12ga and you're done. Red Jacket is a bunch of hacks. They claim to invented something (master key) that was already out. The Army field tested what I just told you about when I was a PFC with 2ACR.

20. triggerjob

triggerjob New Member

So, why wouldn't you for Taliban killing purposes in an urban enviroment just carry an auto 12 guage as part of a squad load out. The master key concept seems a little ridiculous to me. Indoors a person is just as dead probly more so with oo buck in the chest, and there is no Transition needed.

Granted I've never been in urban combat, or any combat for that matter.

BTW the master key concept is doubly a bad idea for police officers who shouldnt be doing warrant raids with .223s anyway.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2012