Is it just me?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by locutus, Apr 4, 2014.

1. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Or does anyone else here get really aggravated when you get a computer generated phone call from a tele-marketer, tele-moocher or tele-preacher, even after you've gone through the process of having your number put on the "DO NOT CALL" list??

2. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

simply hanging up the phone seems like the best option.

3. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Yeah, that's about the only option.:( A shame they can't enforce that no-call list.

4. Dearhunter

Dearhunter Supporting Member Supporter

Congratulations!! You have won!! Click!!!

5. dango

dango Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I enjoy when they call ! :D I just order ten of anything and send to my idiot neighbor ! :D

6. orangello

orangello New Member

I hate the survey's..."no! I do not like green eggs and ham".

I wonder, how long will "hanging up" continue to be understood by the younger generations who no longer actually hang a receiver on a hook to disconnect a call?

7. Mercator

Mercator New Member

Indiana pioneered the no-call list. The state AG pledged to charge (or sue) the violators for up to 10K per incident.

We had been inundated, and I was quick to sign up. Sure enough, a few marketing calls followed. I got pi$$ed enough to gently probe them for identifiable info, then filed about 3 formal complaints with AG's office. In about a year the office sent me an affidavit form, because they were going after one of them. I was only too happy to sign it and pledge to testify if called upon.

Long story short, the TM calls have stopped, cold. Charities, Republicans, nonprofits are still calling on average once or twice daily. They are exempt from the no call list by the statelaw.

8. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I always tell them to hang on a sec.
    Then I put the phone far enough away and say "Keep that for evidence!" loud enough for the caller to hear.
    Then I ask the caller "What business did you have with the deceased?"

9. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

We have a phone that IDs the calls coming in. We can monitor the name of the company or organization or sometimes it says caller unknown. We simply do not answer anytime they call. After several calls they seem to be taking our home phone off their list! Being on the restricted list does not seem to have much deterrent in our opinion! A lot of them are dialing multiple numbers at the same time and if they make contact with one person on the line the others have nothing if you do answer!
    So we just do not answer unless we know who it is.

10. Mercator

Mercator New Member

Honestly not speaking from a high horse here, but I try not to get funny with unwanted solicitors. They are only doing what someone hired them to do. I think it unbecoming to taunt a person who can't (normally) answer in kind. Just a plain hang-up should do.

11. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

ummmmmm....i think they had a pretty good idea of the what the job entailed when they took it.

kind of like a guy who mucks out horse stalls, complaining about the smell of horse manure. did he really expect horse manure to smell like roses or what?

12. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

That's what I do. But I rarely get these kind of calls.

13. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

Since we got rid of our land line last year, 0 tele-marketing calls. By that time, my f-i-l, who has a cell phone & tele-idiots were the only folks using it anyway.

14. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I have two land lines coming in.
    One (personal) is on the do not call list.
    The other is used for FAX and DSL.
    After I got a call on an Easter Sunday, on my "do not call" registered line, for the fifth time from the same company, I started to get creative.

I also have a "zapper" on the same do not call number. This sends a signal (when the handset is picked up) to computer generated callers that the line was disconnected.

I've also registered complaints on the government site about frequent callers.

They can record the call for training and quality control, I can also record the call (but advise them first that the call is being recorded.)

And what happened is some yoohoo from YB.com decided to post my personal number as my business phone (which business is a cell) and all of my business is "word of mouth" only. I've tried to contact YB.com, but they conveniently have found a way to hide their contact info.

15. WebleyFosbery38

WebleyFosbery38 New Member

My Landline is only answered if someone tries to leave a message and I choose to talk to them. I wont answer it because there are just as many people exempt from the "Do not call" List as are prohibited. The poll takers have even intertwined marketing into their polling, answer all their questions and all the sudden they want to offer you something or link you with someone who wants to sell you something. Last election, I received so many calls from Robo Republicrats that I just stopped answering it all together. If you dont leave a message, I guarantee you wont ever get to talk to me and I wont hear a word that you have to say.

16. Donn

Donn Active Member

Wonderful invention, caller I.D. Pops up on the TV screen as well as the phone handset. If I don't recognize the name/number, I don't answer.

17. G30USMC

G30USMC New Member Supporter

Have to love ATT u-Verse ;)

18. Airborne1

Airborne1 Member

I have had many of those annoying TM calls over the years also. I found out that as long as the number comes up, and if you call it back, you are given the opportunity to have your number removed from their list.

19. WonderingMind

WonderingMind New Member

The best thing to do is nothing. If you have caller ID, don't answer the phone if the number is unfamiliar. Or like myself, I get customer calls on my personal phone, simply say "No Thanks, Thank you for the call. Have a wonderful day." then hang up.

20. stag556

stag556 New Member

My home phone is bluetooth capable, so I bluetooth my home phone with my cell phone, then set my cell phone to contacts only. If your not in my contact list, you just get a busy signal when you call.