Is it immoral to sell N95 masks at crazy prices?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Shopfox, Feb 28, 2020.

1. Shopfox

Shopfox Well-Known Member Supporter

I have a small stash of N95 masks. Maybe 9 boxes or so that I bought ~3 weeks ago. Just thinking if a pandemic goes 2-3 years, my stash is squat in the grand scheme. The prices are shooting up. A $5 box can/will go for $50+ if not now, but in a few more weeks.

Would you sell the masks? If so, at $5 or $50?

Would you keep them? I'm thinking to keep them, because of the guilt I'd experience if a loved one of mine died, and having on my conscience I sold the PPE that might have prevented their illness.

What says y'all?

2. W.T. Sherman

W.T. Sherman Well-Known Member

oh, 50 at least, what ever the market would bear. the way human nature is, or more precisely human greed, if you put it out there for 5, someone will come and snatch it up for 5 and resell it for 50 or more. don't think that whoever buys it is going to use it. not when they see these $$$$$$ in front of their eyes

I got half a box of those surgical mask (made in china [​IMG]), I bought at a garage sale a year or so back. I use it whenever I cut wood on my table saw. and I would sell them for whatever the market bears. but I just don't like to breathe in saw dust so that's why I'm not selling them. I do some woodworking as a "winter project"

Last edited: Feb 28, 2020

3. Shopfox

I'm just thinking about some enterprising Chinese guy collecting used masks, reboxing them, and shipping them to the US... "like new condition".

primer1 likes this.
  4. Nmwabbit

Nmwabbit Well-Known Member

keep enough [a box?] for yourself & family...

then go to the nearest va residential home and personally give <4 > in individual sandwich bags to each resident veteran for themselves for their use if they leave to run errands in the community.

alternatively give some to those "olde" folk within your immediate community or thru your religious group...

but hey tis your conscience to profit from a potential pandemic which affects the groups elderly who served or those elderly who might not others in their lives to look after them.

primer1 and W.T. Sherman like this.
  5. W.T. Sherman

W.T. Sherman Well-Known Member

^

well that is the way to go about doing it, where you know for sure it will be utilized.

honestly, I haven't seen one person wearing a mask, mall, grocery store, in any of dept stores no where

maybe if the manufactures decorated them, the "hipster" would be wearing them as a "fashion statement" [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 28, 2020
  6. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker Well-Known Member

Is it immoral to take advantage of a horrible situation that would likely kill thousands, and sell possibly life saving PPE for astronomically inflated prices? Depends on your morals I guess. Mine says not only yes, but hell yes. Is it illegal? No, and it shouldn't be. If you can live with that on your conscience, then more power to you. It would eat at mine until the day I died.

It's different to keep it for you and your family though. I doubt most could fault you for that.

7. Trunk Monkey

Trunk Monkey Well-Known Member

Dammit Srooge! It's not fair!

Scrooge: No, it's not but it's business.

Shopfox likes this.
  8. oO_Rogue_Oo

oO_Rogue_Oo Well-Known Member

Back during the first magazine and ammo scare / shortage I was fortunate enough to have a well stocked supply of both. as things heated up and prices got crazy I began selling off my stock at about 50% of the going prices. People were also trading guns for ammo (yes sounds silly but they were doing it) and I increased my gun collection significantly with some nice trades. I still sleep fine when I think back on it. I could've been a lot more aggressive with pricing. The people I sold to were thrilled to be paying my prices.

That said I also had a stock of 22lr ammo and I took it and started selling to 4H competitors and such for the cost I had in them (pre-scare cost) and they were really THRILLED to get ammo they otherwise were unable to get and wouldn't have been forced to not compete. That really felt good.

Something to be said for doing it both ways. In the case of masks where there is no REAL NEED; it is more silly panic buying; if I was going to sell them at all; I wouldn't feel bad about making a profit. These panic buyers will buy no matter what you do and if you sell a little below market then in a way you're actually doing them a favor.

Shopfox likes this.
  9. CMAB2SA

CMAB2SA Active Member

They are only worth what somebody is willing to pay.

Right now you say it is $50.

Sell them at the price the market is willing to pay or give them away or keep them. Everybody will be happy.

At least it is something useable unlike them silly fuzzy toys people lost all common sense over.

Shopfox likes this.
  10. Shopfox

If the 10 virgins had sold the lamp oil at a crazy markup, they too may not have had what they needed, nor did they give some away and risk their situation. I think I found my answer.

11. xring3

xring3 Well-Known Member

12. OLD Ron

OLD Ron Well-Known Member

So many ifs in the question it is hard to answer .
    To some it is immoral to make money when so many others are poor .
    I bought gold at 250 & sold at 1100 ..... does that make me a bad person ?
    Stupid people in panic mode is why we all arm ourselves .
    Life is a catch 22 ...... so make choices & be happy with them . To worry about what others think is a silly hole to drop into .
    :)

13. Nmwabbit

Nmwabbit Well-Known Member

14. xring3

xring3 Well-Known Member

I bought a Mosin for $70.00 and sold it for $300.00. Does that make me bad and the other person stupid? I bought an 03 Springfield for $650.00 that the original owner bought for $175.00. Does that make him bad and me stupid? Market forces at the center of both decisions.

OLD Ron likes this.
  15. xring3

xring3 Well-Known Member

Another thing I am thinking about this morning. How difficult would it be to make your own surgical type of mask? Just what is it made of that couldn’t be duplicated by anyone?

primer1, JTJ and Shopfox like this.
  16. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

When the 22lr shortage hit I had 12k+ on hand. I sold a few bricks @ $20 so some kids could shoot. My grand kids had ammo and some went to the Boy Scouts since my daughter works for them. I would see the scalpers out there and had quite a few offers. I could easily have gotten $50 a brick and probably more but then my family would not have been able to shoot.
    It is the same with masks. There is a panic right now. People with money are willing to pay but what about the ones that cant afford those prices. I know of seniors that have to choose between food and meds. They can't even afford $5 let alone $50 and they are at the highest risk.
    If you need the money sell them. If you can get by without it donate them.
    By the way the government is looking at existing laws that allow war time production requirements to get the necessary gear to fight the possible coming Pandemic. They would be able to compel companies to go into production and prices would be held down.

Shopfox likes this.
  17. Shopfox

At $1 per mask, you'd never give 2 thoughts on how to make it faster, better, or in an alternate way. At $16 per mask, the problem gets the attention of innovators.

18. Shopfox

I expect to see a run on high-filtration furnace filters next. If you have a coughing family member, it'd be nice to reduce the number of droplets and viruses circulating from the containment room into the rest of the house... with that thought, I'm going to be picking up 2-3 furnace filters this morning....