Is it illegal to shoot in an open area?

Discussion in 'Utah Gun Forum' started by ballistix45, Apr 11, 2012.

1. ballistix45

ballistix45 New Member

I live in the salt lake valley, is it illegal if I head out west past tooele in that open area to shoot my gun??

2. PlaysWithZombies

PlaysWithZombies New Member

I don't live anywhere near utah, but i think your best bet would be to contact the state or local police and ask them.

3. phildenton

phildenton New Member

Usually the local sherriffs office should have maps of no shooting zones and can probably recommend a good place to shoot

4. ballistix45

ballistix45 New Member

Cool. I'll do that, thanks guys.

5. JoshH

JoshH New Member

I shoot out west all the time and have never had a problem. As long as its not posted you should be good. You can also go south west of Utah lake and shoot all over down there.

6. ballistix45

ballistix45 New Member

Sweet! I'm planning on going this weekend.

7. Durangokid

Durangokid New Member

You have a real nice shooting range out around 56 West and 21 South. Utah State owned Lee Kay Shooting Center. I think shooting in Salt Lake county does rule out some of the West Desert.:)

8. ballistix45

ballistix45 New Member

Yeah I work right by it. I havent gone tho.

9. felix1904

felix1904 New Member

Do you guys know about open areas in California ?

10. ballistix45

ballistix45 New Member

Nope, sorry. Ask around the forum.

11. Dearhunter

Dearhunter Supporting Member Supporter

Before I went out shooting in open areas, I would suggest checking with the local law enforcement office. Also, the landowners need to give you permission to shoot on their land. Putting in some research for a shooting area may save you a lot of heartache later, or your life.

12. Cinderocka1989

Cinderocka1989 Well-Known Member

Out by 5 mile pass, the quarry, it's illegal to shoot out there but then it's illegal to do anything out there now and there are signs posted. If you drive west of there across the Tooele county line about 5 miles there's a place where we shoot. West of Utah Lake is a good option too, you have to go pretty far south since they started building houses out there. No one has ever bothered us either of those places.

13. Polygon

Polygon New Member

Easiest way to find out is to head over to the BLM office which is near 21st South in Salt Lake. They have maps there that show you where BLM land is and it's legal to shoot there. If it's private property you have to get permission from the owner. I would get the map to make sure you're not anywhere near some government land that you aren't supposed to be on. But I'm sure there is a ton of BLM land out that way to shoot on, worry free.

14. Kevo

Kevo New Member

Central Utah is a pretty good place for shooting, though it might be a bit of a trip if you're in Salt Lake. My family goes shooting in the hills just a little ways outside Salina all the time.

15. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Kevo, it's a good idea to check dates before posting to a thread. That one is 3 years old.

16. Kevo

Kevo New Member

My bad! I think I must have misread the date on it.

17. ben_blacktiefirearms

ben_blacktiefirearms New Member

I went out by Utah Lake, I believe the west side, this last weekend. Lots of people, including boy scout groups, out there shooting. Careful though, there's lots of private land out there, you need to make sure you end up on a private spot. Maybe bring a bag for trash detail as well - lots of beer cans lying around.

18. Cinderocka1989

Cinderocka1989 Well-Known Member

I think this one is pretty old too, however thanks for the info, my little bro said he bought a ton of 223 and I'm going to be home in August to go shooting with him. What's your 20?